Nuclear War and Time Travel

PaulaJedi

Rift Surfer
Why does time travel and nuclear war always go hand in hand?  Do you believe it is because of the John Titor story, or is it because doom and gloom always seems to go with time travel as well?   Perhaps it is because people believe time travel can be used to save humanity and nuclear war has been a threat for a while.  Thoughts? 

This post reminded me of the restaurant at the end of the universe, mentioned on the Douglas Adams's novels The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Paula, I think the the armageddon by nuclear blast goes side by side with time travel because it's a technology we know can destroy our planet. So, it's very convidative for time travelers to use their time travel machines to come back and try to save Earth.

They both occupy their respective opposites, I suppose. Time travel symbolizes the human desire to bring order and change "bad" into "good", while atomic bombs don't connotates anything positive.

Why does time travel and nuclear war always go hand in hand?  Do you believe it is because of the John Titor story, or is it because doom and gloom always seems to go with time travel as well?   Perhaps it is because people believe time travel can be used to save humanity and nuclear war has been a threat for a while.  Thoughts? It's because the book "Alas Babylon" was such an enormously popular book to read among military officers who were playing doomsday strategy war game scenarios on boards back then. Did you know that Pat Frank's civilian contracting job for the U.S. Navy was to make predictions such as the ones he wrote about in his book.

The book influenced movies such as "Red Dawn", "Mad Max", "Terminator", "Demolition Man", and so many more. I was a fan of post-apocalypse Hollywood movies back in the day.

John Razimus tells us John Titor is 49 years old, about the same age as me. This is why I can understand his apocalyptic scenario. We are from the same generation and roughly from similar places in the U.S.

There was a short time after the cold war with Russia was over that we thought that there would never be a nuclear war. But today, most people aren't sure. They don't understand why NATO keeps threatening Russia and why Russia is attacking Ukraine. But here we are. We are close to nuclear war.

Time travel is the ultimate disruptive technology. If there are already weaknesses in the world order, it would destroy the balance of power among nations leading to world war and nuclear war. This assumes that the time machine is made public and that public science and technology can benefit it. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any close association in fiction between nuclear war and time travel before Terminator. 

Also, there is the hero factor.  People see time travel as a super power and expect people with the ability to save humanity.  Problem is, there is much involved. Watch Stephen King's 11.22.63.  Not as easy as it looks.

Back