"The future ain't what it used to be."

A Discovered Time Traveler

That the event preceded Phil's birth by four years
would ordinarily suggest that he didn't exist to experience it as a reality.

In my proposed hypothetical suggestion (temporary experience of an alternate reality), it would not matter if Phil was not born before the event originally occured (timeline "A"). He may have "slipped" into timeline "B" where the event occured during his school years and without him knowing, he "slipped" back into timeline "A", to be later confronted by the question in the pub by his Dad's friend. **** however, I should add that there is absolutely no shred of scientific evidence for the existence of alternate realities/timelines. I'm just using this hypothesis to provide a speculative explanation.

"Elsewhere, the above effect was described as dual memories."

Yes, for many years, I have been fascinated by what is now referred to as the "Mandela Effect".... If the Mandela Effect is a real phenomenon, then one could speculate that someone invented time travel. The mystery time-traveller(s) go back and change "things" but some people get residual memories (Mandela effect)? Maybe this subject deserves to be opened in a new topic, in the time-travel discussion section.

Mandela affect? hmmm would someone have been reading 'The Thief of Time?'

I came across the Mandela reading that book...... fantasy or not, you have to admit that Terry Pratchett does have some awesome ideas?

Just for those who have not read the book, due to the stopping of time, time itself shatters. The history monks have to put it all back together and the device used? The Mandela......

The thing with my experience, was the detail. even down to the rubber mat on top of the TV stand, I can almost remember the smell, the pattern of the carpet, even to the fact it was before my parents had the stone fireplace installed.... every detail. This is an unusual thing for me, as sometimes I can't remember the last time I ate..... (I get bogged down in far more important stuff than remembering food, sleep and non essential social interactions.... )

Mandela affect? hmmm would someone have been reading 'The Thief of Time?'

I came across the Mandela reading that book...... fantasy or not, you have to admit that Terry Pratchett does have some awesome ideas?

Just for those who have not read the book, due to the stopping of time, time itself shatters. The history monks have to put it all back together and the device used? The Mandela......

The thing with my experience, was the detail. even down to the rubber mat on top of the TV stand, I can almost remember the smell, the pattern of the carpet, even to the fact it was before my parents had the stone fireplace installed.... every detail. This is an unusual thing for me, as sometimes I can't remember the last time I ate..... (I get bogged down in far more important stuff than remembering food, sleep and non essential social interactions.... )

Respectfully, I think you have misunderstood the Mandela effect. It is a phrase that is applied to a phenomenon in which numerous people have vivid memories of Nelson Mandela dying in prison on Robben Island, during the late 1980's. These people remember viewing his televised funeral, the speech given at the funeral by his wife Winnie and numerous other events that occurred after.

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. Could that have been due to all the world press at the time whereby people were talking about him Dying in prison? I must admit, my recollection at the time is somewhat limited, I was working on a project in South Africa at the time (in fact I lived there for a while..... my first wife was an Afrikaaner btw!), and left just a few days before the election. As you can imagine, information on the Leader of the ANC was a bit sketchy within the South African borders back then!

I missed out on impartial coverage due to my geographical location.

And at this point, I should extend my sympathies to his family. The loss of any family member is always hard.

as an aside, the thief of time is a brilliant book!

You say time alot.... and I am a grump as I age.

I guess one of the reasons I say Time a lot is because of why I have joined this forum, If I were to say pancreas a lot, would I not be directed to join a medical forum? ;)

But the action of passing moments is a big passion of mine (see, I did not mention the T word), maybe a touch obsessive I know, but I am what I am....

And nothing wrong with being a grump. I had a major moan the other day because of my eyes...... I have always been short sighted, and when I was younger, I realised that as people get older, they typically develop long-sightedness. So, I though all I have to do is wait until that happens, it will counteract the short sightedness and lo-and-behold perfect vision, no glasses no laser treatment......

Is that what happened? no, I now have distance glasses AND reading glasses. How is that possible? to be long and short sighted at the same time? <mumble> <grump> :D

Phil,

Forgotten during our discussion of 'the car experiment,'
was a question about your apparent recall of an event that preceded your birth by four years:
Did you see news reports on television and/or hear much talk of the story?

Phil,

Did you see news reports on television and/or hear much talk of the story?

No, as a child, I only really watch 'Newsround' as a source of news, and that was only because I was waiting for 'Blue Peter' (A long running TV show for kids over here)

But that would not explain the recollection of running home across the park for a few days.... Even then, it was not so much the disaster, or the news I was interested in. (Remember that when I was growing up, war-games were still new... we could be Brits or Jerries...) Not politically correct, but quite important. Because the big thing about seeing the news was watching the RAF go and 'Blow sh!t up'

It is one of these things that really sticks in my mind. Maybe it is as Milo.X. says, the Mandela effect...... Strange...

Thank you, Phil. As experience and teaching go hand-in-hand,
you must have been meant to internalize some lesson as though
it were first-hand knowledge.

0 : - ) MGby.

@ Syzygy, that is an interesting thought, I wonder if it will lead me to design a better way to remove oil rather than by dispersants and leaving particles still in the sea to poison our marine life.....

wow, I was not intending to type that, idea to keyboard with no mental intervention.... But what an idea... possible cyclone technology to separate the water from the oil.... hmmm thoughts.

Wow, I am reading this post as though someone else put it there... But wherever it came from, I may have to have a serious think about this.... it could work.

@ Syzygy, that is an interesting thought, I wonder if it will lead me to design a better way to remove oil rather than by dispersants and leaving particles still in the sea to poison our marine life.....

wow, I was not intending to type that, idea to keyboard with no mental intervention.... But what an idea... possible cyclone technology to separate the water from the oil.... hmmm thoughts.

Wow, I am reading this post as though someone else put it there... But wherever it came from, I may have to have a serious think about this.... it could work.
You seem to be on a roll.
Re: "[...] a way to remove oil", Fabrican is certainly novel.
May you be inspired.

Kevin Costner? I did not know he was involved in oceanic oil remediation.....

Got me thinking now...... Just to give you an idea, if you were to form a vortex in the oil contaminated water, then the differing densities and viscosities of the two liquids (sea water and oil) would cause them to separate. This would allow relatively simple separation (mechanically based) system to allow the water to be pumped back into the sea, the oil to be stored in a tank for final processing and re-use. No dispersants, no chemicals, and no more just breaking up the slick and leaving the oil to contaminate nature...... :D

But, (and this really has go my curiosity running wild) what has this to do with Kevin?:confused:

Cool, well, I guess I don't need to develop one then.... Nice to know the idea works though :D

I shall have a read about this later.... I never heard about that :) But there again, my experience in the petrochem world was with welding robots, so I stayed firmly onshore :D

When I have an afternoon coffee, I shall read these, thank you for the links :)

Ah ... that's a long story! I've written about it here and elsewhere many times, but I'll sum it up. Between November 2000 and March 2001, a man who called himself, "John Titor" posted here at TTI (and elsewhere) claiming that he had come from an alternate version of the year 2036. You can Google that and read for days.

His story was fascinating, but I believed him to be an anti-government, militia, doomsday-prepper type of person who was using fiction to promote his cause. At one point, he claimed he would be making a stop in the Spring of 1998 before returning to his own time. He offered to forward a message to our past selves. I took him up on that offer.

Spring 1998 was a very difficult, pivotal time for me and my family. Titor's offer became an enticing thought experiment. I wrote an email to my younger self that warned of what was coming in 1998 and how to avoid the problems I had lived through. Then, I went further, and gave myself vast amounts of future knowledge. This included three years of news, stock market charts and lottery drawing statistics. I also included all posts and data from Titor, with the idea of using the vast fortune I bestowed to accelerate the development of time travel.

As one layer of proof, I included a couple of photos of my son and nephew. They were young at the time, so three years of growth would be immediately revealing. I then compressed all the data into nested, password-protected zip files. In the plain text, I asked six questions that only I could answer correctly. The answers to the first three questions (when combined as a single phrase without spaces) opened the first layer. The answers to the second three questions opened the final layer and unzipped all the data. I intentionally left the details in the enclosed personal message vague, assuming anyone could read it - saying things like, "your wife" or "at home" instead of giving names and addresses. When completed, I emailed the 1.4MB file to Pamela Moore, who was coordinating the collection and forwarding of the messages to John Titor. Pamela joked with me that it must be nice to have broadband because she spent the night downloading my file over dial-up. :)

Titor stopped posting at the end of March 2001 and that was it, until around mid May. I began experiencing intense Déjà vu-like feelings, then noticing things were different. Suddenly, a Walgreens drug store was on a corner that had been empty land just a day before. My mind couldn't process this and I began to doubt myself. I didn't understand how I could have missed its construction but chalked it up to faulty memory. Then, I had an experience that caused me to shed all doubt. My family and I took a trip down to Vero Beach, Florida to spend the day shopping, dining and seeing a movie. On the way into town, coming from I-95, we saw several empty lots with "Coming Soon" signs for various stores. Adjacent to those lots was a recently built Linens-N-Things where my wife bought something. I stayed in the car with my son while she shopped. In the car, I had that strange Déjà vu-like feeling again. Unlike Déjà vu, where you feel like you have already seen or experienced something before, this felt like something was different and out of place (I call it an "altervu"). We spent the day at the Indian River Mall, leaving at night after the movie. Driving back to the highway, I saw a fully-stocked Rooms To Go furniture store on what had been one of those empty lots! I immediately exclaimed to my wife something like, "Where did that come from!?!" to which she casually replied, "That's always been there." I was flabbergasted! I asked her repeatedly about the empty lots from earlier in the day but she dismissed it (the way I had dismissed the Walgreens) as faulty memory. That's when I knew I had stepped into The Twilight Zone.

I contacted Pamela about my experiences and she told me others who had sent emails to Titor were having similarly bizarre experiences. Pamela and I had one altervu in common at that point. The Burger King logo had changed - overnight, from our perspective. Pamela even inquired about it and found out they had changed the logo a year or two earlier. I also found a Rooms To Go store in Melbourne, Florida that was sitting on a recently empty lot. I went in and talked to a sales manager. He told me the store had been there for ten or eleven years!

From that point until today, I occasionally experience altervus. My wife is my sounding board. I always check her memories against mine to know if I'm just being forgetful or if something has changed. Einstein has mentioned his life-long experiences. I know of three other people who were not connected to Titor in any way, yet experienced altervus. Their common denominator is Zeshua, a self-proclaimed time-communicator from 2025 - 2026 who has posted here on TTI and interacted more extensively with our small group by email and within a private forum.

Geoffrey, please understand that you will probably receive extensive ridicule while posting here. Many pretenders have come here to have a laugh at the expense of the so-called "stupid" people who believe time travel is possible. The reality is, most of the people who hang around here are very intelligent. We're also very skeptical. Despite my experiences, I have no empirical evidence. This is just my story. I can not say that John Titor or Zeshua or anyone else can be, or do what, they have claimed.

Unfortunately, I spend little time here because of the onslaught of pretenders and the negativity of the good people who have been "burned" so many times before. It gets old, fast. With this in mind, your mention of Dean Stockwell and Scott Bakula hasn't gone unnoticed. Your story revolves around you traveling within your own timeline and ending up in your younger self's body. This was a plotline in an episode of "Quantum Leap". Pretenders often drop a small clue in their initial posts to see if we pick up on it, then laugh at our expense if it goes unmentioned ... so I'm mentioning it. Feel free to bow out gracefully - no harm, no foul. Otherwise, please carry on with your story; it's very interesting.

Also, if you are a science fiction fan, I recommend you watch the 2004 - 2009 reboot of "Battlestar Galactica". Dean Stockwell plays a major part in the series.

Welcome to The Twilight Zone!

Now I understand the meaning of your avatar/profile pic.

Nobody seems to believe me when I say that just altering a daily routine habit will actual elicit this phenomena. But why not try the inside out shirt idea just for a day? I suppose some people may think it a bit odd. But stick with it for a day. At the end of the day just write down all the odd occurrences that you never noticed before.

This coming from a man who complains in this very thread that people seem to be driven more by belief than by facts.

Are you seriously suggesting that if, say, I developed cancer, I could simply alter my daily routine until I 'pop' into a time in which I have not developed cancer? Would that mean I forced the other me into the time where I had cancer? Is that murder?

Nevermind working from now on; I'm just going to use my left hand and change my shoes until I 'pop' into a rich me world. Goodness.

Moz

Florida_Jim

Researchers don't know which part of the brain memories are stored in. Experiments I read about a long time ago show tests on lab animals with different parts of the brain removed don't seem to have an affect on remembered behavior. Maybe there are some of us that have brains that don't correctly retrieve memories. I know my brain appears to be retrieving altervu memories quite frequently. Possibly my memories are on a bad server somewhere in another dimension where memory servers exist.

There have been great strides, and the hippocampus is a very much involved in memory retention.

Hippocampus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, evidence from seed-hiding birds helps support this conclusion. As winter nears, these birds actually show increased cells in their hippocampus, which helps them remember where they've hidden seeds all over the place. These types of birds can hide hundreds or even thousands of seeds over a 60-acre area and find them six months later. It's pretty incredible.

Moz

Back