A disproof of John Titor's story

MisterA

Temporal Novice
A disproof of John Titor\'s story

I've spent the better part of two work days reading the posts by TimeTravel_0 and other web-sites' stories about him, and have to say that the stories are enthralling and VERY entertaining...however not true.

The proof I have to offer is this:

His entire reason for time travelling was to get some antiquated hardware in order to fix a Y2K38 UNIX bug, from what I read. Keeping that in mind, why is there a bug in 2038?

Well, 32-bit root servers currently use the FreeBSD 4.7 operating system. As with all Unix and Unix-like operating systems, time and dates in FreeBSD are represented internally as the number of seconds since the UNIX Epoch, which was the 1st of January 1970 GMT.

32-bit systems can only store a maximum of 231 non-negative seconds (2,147,483,648 seconds or about 68 years). Which means that 32-bit UNIX systems won't be able to process time beyond 19 Jan 2038 at 3:14:07 AM GMT.

The solution is in 64-bit architecture systems; of which you can now own in your own office in an Apple G5. They can store a maximium of 263 non-negative seconds (9,223,372,036,854,775,808 [9.2 Quintillion] seconds or about 292.27 Billion years), which is about 22 times the estimated age of our universe!

As of Wed Oct 15 21:19:11 GMT 2003 there are currently:
1,066,252,751 seconds since the UNIX epoch.
34 years, 3 months, and 3 days until 19 Jan 2038.

That is, of course, in OUR worldline...maybe in HIS worldline 64-bit architectured computing systems were never developed.

Re: A disproof of John Titor\'s story

The G5 lets you run applications which take advantage of the 64-bit registers, however the MacOS itself is still 32-bit, as is the time that it gets from the 32-bit BSD kernel. Apple will finish making the OS itself 64-bit sometime in 2004 or 2005. Lots of applications will be 32-bit though, and most likely so will the time-handling APIs for backwards compatibility.

The 80386 was 32-bit in every way, and first produced in 1983, yet the first 32-bit version of windows was in 1994, 11 years later.

Because 64-bit variables will consume more memory and bandwidth, and the current generation of 64-bit processors has a higher throughput dealing with 32-bit values since they can do multiple of them in parallel, the default int variable size on most 64-bit environments is still 32-bit.

Government is especially slow in adopting new technologies. The computer system of the space shuttle has a whopping 8K of RAM. Yes, that's right, 8192 BYTES. The most powerful computer on-board is the astronaut's wristwatch. It would be quite shocking if the computer systems of public utilities and weapons systems actually had all been upgraded to 64-bit systems by 2036.

Re: A disproof of John Titor\'s story

Of course Titor's story is fake. I don't need any proof of that. I'm amazed that there are people who buy this crap. There is NO WAY that time travel can be invented by 2036, when you look at scientific development the way it is today.