"The future ain't what it used to be."

If you found a way to view the future would you share?

Jack Wade

Timekeeper
If you found a way to view the future, no LSD-25 involved :)

What if you could view headlines of the future
tragedies, disasters, economic collapse...
as well as
Lottery numbers, stock exchange, latest inventions, top songs...

Would you give it to the world to prevent tragic and disastrous events?
or
Would you keep it for yourself for power and greed?

It's becoming apparent to me, that those in power would not allow this to happen. So public disclosure would not be a very healthy choice to make. But my life, and the lives of friends and loved ones, would quietly benefit from the unexpected windfall that has blown my way.

If you were able to see the future that means it will be impossible for you to use it at your advantage, since if you are able to see it, that means that the future is already been written therefore whatever you do will not affect the current flow of time and in the most that will happen would be set another world line in wish you use those abilities to your advantage, in other words some sort of parallel universe in wish you can become rich and everything and you can change your own fate and keep going to different world lines

Would you give it to the world to prevent tragic and disastrous events?
or
Would you keep it for yourself for power and greed?

Neither. Nobody would believe me. I'm not interested in seeing my future or winning the lottery, so greed is out.
Money doesn't buy happiness. People cause unhappiness and having money attracts a whole new hoard of assholes into your life.

Showing someone a device such as that would be really dangerous for both yourself and humanity. This is EXACTLY why we most likely already have amazing technology that we will NEVER know about.

If you were able to see the future that means it will be impossible for you to use it at your advantage, since if you are able to see it, that means that the future is already been written therefore whatever you do will not affect the current flow of time and in the most that will happen would be set another world line in wish you use those abilities to your advantage, in other words some sort of parallel universe in wish you can become rich and everything and you can change your own fate and keep going to different world lines

Good response - and the reason travel to the future is even more problematic than travel to the past. In a single, non-multiple-worlds universe, seeing the future would negate free will.

Good response - and the reason travel to the future is even more problematic than travel to the past. In a single, non-multiple-worlds universe, seeing the future would negate free will.

I disagree. The future you would be seeing is the future as it is now. If you run out and make a few phone calls and come back, the future may be different. We cannot assume that the future you are looking at is set in stone.
Let's say you have two options for college. One would be to study medicine. One would be to study accounting.
Your choice will change your future, thus, the future is not set in stone. Each time you peer into the proverbial
looking glass, your future could very well be different. IMHO.

I believe it would only be different if you changed your mind about a few things or other people would change their mind about a few things.Because they heard about the device you use to see the future or you told them your future.

hi, i'm a big fan of time travel and physics and i'm new here in this forum.
if i had access to information as stated by jade wake at the start of this thread, i will probably just keep it and read it as it happened yesterday, yes it would kill thousands of people, but if i stopped that. The world would be overpopulated in 10 years. people that should have died are still alive and still reproducing with other people. this will cause a raise in the birth rate of babies and a decrease in death rates. i would probably share good news like the weather or give hints on discoveries that might occur later on that day, but no disasters or anything that will be used for self-profit.

I disagree. The future you would be seeing is the future as it is now. If you run out and make a few phone calls and come back, the future may be different. We cannot assume that the future you are looking at is set in stone.
Let's say you have two options for college. One would be to study medicine. One would be to study accounting.
Your choice will change your future, thus, the future is not set in stone. Each time you peer into the proverbial
looking glass, your future could very well be different. IMHO.

If I saw the future, and saw that a certain stock was at a price that made me want to buy it, but before I had a chance to buy it, the stock price changed, then what would be the point of seeing the future in the first place? Seeing the future would be meaningless if it changed every second or minute.

I believe it would only be different if you changed your mind about a few things or other people would change their mind about a few things.Because they heard about the device you use to see the future or you told them your future.

I agree - that makes sense.

Back