interesting article

Eas,

So what does this mean for this website?

Probably nothing. The experiment didn't reveal anything that we didn't already know, though the article didn't give any way to look at the paper. The phase velocity of an electromagnetic wave, like a photon, may be less than or greater than c depending on the medium through which it is transmitted. The speed of light, c, is given in a vacuum.

That's a good point. One gripe I have with this claim is that they seem to think they have "proven" something, while it is commonly accepted in science that you never "prove" anything, only that you find evidence for it.

Easd,

That's a good point. One gripe I have with this claim is that they seem to think they have "proven" something, while it is commonly accepted in science that you never "prove" anything, only that you find evidence for it.

I don't know who you mean by "they"; the author of the article or the author of the paper that the article refers to. I didn't Google the scientist to find the paper on ArXiv but if I did and I looked up the paper it probably wouldn't make the same statements as appear in the article.

You do, in science, prove cases. Proof is an abundance of evidence. It doesn't mean that the proof cannot be overturned by further evidence. That's the entire point of the requirement that a theory be stated in such a way that it can be nullified. It only takes one instance of the theory failing under circumstances that the theory says it shouldn't fail to nullify it.

Examples of good and bad theories (where we assume that no time traveler has ever been discovered - and by discovered I mean that it has been undeniably verified).

Good theory: time travelers don't exist.

Why? Because if just one time traveler is discovered then the theory is nullified.

Bad Theory: Time travelers exist.

Why? If you wait fifty gazillion years and no time traveler is discovered the theory has not been nullified - there's always tomorrow, and tommorrow, and tomorrow...

How about posting a comment. I can't glean your point and don't want to make an assumption only to find that I'm going down the wrong path.

Notice 3 problems in the experiment done by Prof. Shengwang Du and His Team in Hong Kong.

1. They did not alter the gravitation in the experiment. Gravity is a fundamental variables in the experiment.

2. They did the experiment to shoot photons on a straight line, not in a circular spiral shape.

3. The experiment does not add the effect of quantum teleportation. Imagine if the photon travels in a constant teleportation (jumping between distance), then the speed of photon could break through speed of light throught teleportation.

The longest distance yet claimed to be achieved for quantum teleportation is 16 km (10 miles) in May 2010 by Chinese scientists over free-space with an average of 89% accuracy

Wiki Source:
Wiki on Quntum teleportation

Back