"The future ain't what it used to be."

John Titor and the IBM 5100

d28_2012

Timekeeper
If there are no 5100’s left in johns world how does he no that it’ll be able to debug the 2038 problem?

I was just wondering!
/ttiforum/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Now more importantly you should be wondering what it was that he actually wanted the computer for, now you first have to think about what computer systems, or satellites that were using older late 60's to mid 70's computer coded assets are still around in 2038. Now you need to think of a reason for reprogramming it, not to mention the fact that in 2038 there are no advanced systems capable of completing the task. Those are just some of the questions I have about the 5100. Of course this is assuming that what we know of Titor is true and he is not just simply a regular guy that figured out how to build a time machine to come back and steal vintage items to resale on Ebay in 2038...

Titor maintained that he went back to l975 to retrieve a vintage IBM 5100 computer that had a secret code-reading capability, which IBM kept underwraps. A former company programmer has since confirmed tha t the 5100 had an interface between the assembly code and the emulator beneath it, allowing programmers access to IBM code. The function was allegedly suppressed to protect it from competitors. A translator.

Some believe that J.T. was a computer programmer.

An emulator for the IBM 5100 could surely be created, provided the specs were available. Absence of detailed technical information, combined with code which exploits its unique architecture could impel one to seek the original machine. However, this is not proof of Titor's claims.

aww well then its ur loss. /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif I knew I shouldnt post this info on there, because people find it hard to believe. It sucks to see that. /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I knew I shouldnt post this info on there, because people find it hard to believe. It sucks to see that.

IMO, something that sucks even more is blind belief without a veridical foundation for such a belief. Wanting evidence to support a belief is actually a very good thing.

RMT

yea ill probably get fired for even posting this. oh well who cares. i had enough. these guys know how to find information after its deleted a long time ago!

all i can say is that they are claiming john titor is correct in some issues especially the ibm 5100 machine and the unix failure.

You shouldn't take this stuff personally; nobody's attacking you. People just request proof of claims because of all the frauds in the world and online. Also, as a programmer, I noticed you seemed to sensationalize things too much; that's counter-productive.

Pro,

zip.

Edited by Pro7 (11/05/07 02:39 AM)

My friend it's generally considered to be rather bad manners to post something, wait for people to respond and then delete the post. Gives one the feeling that some trolling is going on.

I had this little feelin' that told me that the post would disappear. Call me a time traveler if you must because I too correctly predicted the future. Not to worry - I saved a copy.

In interest of titor's articles everywhere on the internet regarding the IBM 5100, for the last couple years, we decided to investigate this. We did give out business cards to almost every computer shop there is in town, for a long time, finally a guy called us up and said that he found the ibm 5100 which he could sell to us for a measly 50 bucks. We then ran down to his shop and purchased it immediately.
The machine is in perfect working order and we transferred the programming which we made our own "shell" program to contain the original "translating" source code and we integrated it into our linux operating systems. I am not going to say how that was done since its a technical feat required to be worked on by computer experts. So, I am just going to say it basically.
When we first "played around" with the original coding, and about three days ago, we accidently discovered the true ability of the original code.
Whoever said this was a "translating" code?
Its a code that does "compressing units". We then added our own Win32 apl linguistics and viola! integrated it into our window machines. It was to be used for testing grounds. (which originally came from the linux side)
oh my god... you wouldnt believe what this came out to be. In order to believe it, you would have to see it for yourself. It is now possible that we created a new operating system based on a different routine parameters. It is nothing like linux, beos or windows operating systems, even though we did use windows DLL formats to assist it's routine parameters.
Therefore one of our experts named it "winux" since its a combination of linux and windows at the same time. What is it, that in the basic coding system that can accept both "executable formats" at the same time?
I have not mentioned what version of windows or linux we have used in our experiments for our security reasons, but we have debated over this issue for the last couple days that we could have invented something by accident because one of our experts was trying a different format CD disk until he realized that he used the wrong disk which belonged to a linux version and it loaded up the run parameters on a windows machine which has the "winux" loaded.
We determined the issue of this so called little accident and we did think of similiar machines that had WINE attached to linux machines. Its like a "shell within a shell" when running the WINE application under the linux operating system, however this is different. This has nothing to do with WINE applications since it just accepts several executables on the same format without going into a "shell process".
Wouldnt it be nice to have a computer that accepts different kinds of executables? Like for example, a windows machine that accepts .EXE, .DEB, .RPM, etc... onto the same machine. Ever thought that could be possible?
We are still working on this experiment.
Maybe this was what John Titor was after... hmm... if our success leads to complete invention and patenting of a new operating system led after even those words "JT" spoke on these articles, it could very well change our path and it could be different than what was expected to happen.
Edited by Pro7 (11/03/07 12:11 AM)

Pro,

Now that the post is back up I have to ask you a question.

In the reinstated-but-previously deleted-post you constantly refer to "we". "We" did this or that relative to the work on the IBM 5100 that was purchased. In your post above where you refer to possibly getting fired you switched to "they".

Which is it? Did "we" initiate this experiment (meaning you and one or more partners as principle researchers who can honestly claim ownership of the fruits of the research) or are you a third party who happens to have some information about someone else's work?

I ask because it's helpful to know, should the discussion go forward, whether answers are coming from someone who owns the research or just a witness of some sort on the periphery.

My friend it's generally considered to be rather bad manners to post something, wait for people to respond and then delete the post. Gives one the feeling that some trolling is going on.

I had this little feelin' that told me that the post would disappear. Call me a time traveler if you must because I too correctly predicted the future. Not to worry - I saved a copy.

Actully I think the REAL height of rudeness would be to post something another person has erased. For whatever reason he choose, Pro7 did not want his words here anymore and you inconsideratly put it right back up.

Before he pulled his post I myself did share it a few places on the net HOWEVER I have PMed him about it and await an answer from him reguarding his opinion.

Don't you guys use google http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem the 2038 problem is a problem with the clock on 32bit unix systems,

"on Tuesday, January 19, 2038. Times beyond this moment will "wrap around" and be represented internally as a negative number and cause programs to fail, since they will see these times not as being in 2038 but rather in 1901. Erroneous calculations and decisions may therefore result"

The IBM 5100 would not be used to fix anything but to translate UNIX based languages into something a old IBM mainframe could run. Old IBM mainframes don't have the 2038 date problem.

Actully I think the REAL height of rudeness would be to post something another person has erased.

Maybe.

But when a noob comes along, makes a dozen posts and then erases three of them after they've been responded to - which he (she?) did - I'm not going to be too concerned about putting the information back up so the damned thread makes some sense.

Besides, if I didn't do something annoying no one would have anything to talk about (re me).

ruthzine,

The IBM 5100 would not be used to fix anything but to translate UNIX based languages into something a old IBM mainframe could run. Old IBM mainframes don't have the 2038 date problem.

Within the context of Titor's Saga none of this would actually be a "problem" as it were.

The business operations controlled by these mainframe systems that we would be concerned about - financial institutions, government data systems, payroll systems, tax and retirement systems, military data systems, etc. - aren't housed in barns out on the Nebraska plains. They are located in major metropolitain areas or on military bases...the targets of Titor's Nuclear War. It's a quasi self-fix scenario.

The systems that would suffer this problem are turned into radioactive scrap heaps along with the rest of society's infrastructure based in and about the cities. Half of Earth's human population and all of the major cities are nuked into the Stone Age.

The Y2K38 affected systems don't survive. Nor do the infrastructures that they controlled. Thus there's really no problem. They become a bit of an anachronism in Titor's post-apocalyptic world.

ok

"we" as in our company, small and unnoticeable by anyone. We are a group of scientists who specializes in different aspects of computer programming and etc. I was hired 4 years ago to work on a special project.

When I was fresh out of high school, I went to a university and majored in computer science. I was at the top of the class. When I graduated from the university, I was working at odd jobs until I got seriously injured. After the leg injury, I was not able to work anywhere. I had thought that my schooling was a complete waste of time and money. That forced me to get on social security disability.

One day, this company representative came to my apartment. He offered me a job, which I considered over a length of time. This representative is one of the friends of my father's who is now deceased. After my father died of multiple cancer, I reconsidered to give the job offer a try because the representative kept emailing me about it and other things.

I did not understand why this company wanted a person like me. I was a decade behind in computer science and had a lot of catching up to do. This company, at the time of beginning my employment, was contracted through the national science foundation and other organizations. The company's main responsiblity was to search for any unusual and exotic technologies discussions and research. This was their way of making profits.

All of that had changed recently. The company is no longer contracted with NSF and other orgs, but instead became contracted with the Department of Defense and other government agencies. This expired my "oath of secrecy" with the company and am looking to be terminated from the position any time now. I still do not understand why this company wanted me in the first place. I made good money off of different project work, and now am considering going back on social security disability.

The Time Travel Institute forum was my favorite past time to review many articles especially on the issue regarding John Titor. I could not say anything nor post anything on our research up until now. This is how and where I got the idea about the IBM 5100 and proposed it to the head of the company, to research it, etc.

I have read some of the comments on this forum about "liars and trolls" posting on the forum, etc. I believe yes, there are many trolls and pathological liars who post such stuff on the internet. I am not one of them. I apologize for being "rude" about deleting my posts after being insulted by someone on the forum. I have never been insulted like that anywhere before.

I can understand what the insult was intended for. My main purpose for the original post on the forum was to get your attention, in order to share what I have experienced.

Back