"The future ain't what it used to be."

John Titor Book on amazon

netobrev

Timekeeper
Does anyone have an idea of why the book 'John Titor A Time Traveler's Tale' is being sold for outragous prices on Amazon? The current cheapest is priced at $124.95 and $900 for the most expensive. This is not new either, if one were to search the ATS forum, one would find a thread from 2008 stating a listed price at $500. I bought this book from Amazon in 2004 for $14.99

The conspiracist in me wants to believe the book is being supressed by higher forces. But, if you know this book, it's just John's posts from 2000 in a more organized form, which anyone with a computer can find. Also, I now there is a PDF floating around the web.

What are your thoughts?

I suppose it could be the author of the book trying to drive the price of the book up by listing his own copies at inflated prices to make it appear more valuable than it really is.

Does anyone have an idea of why the book 'John Titor A Time Traveler's Tale' is being sold for outragous prices on Amazon? The current cheapest is priced at $124.95 and $900 for the most expensive. This is not new either, if one were to search the ATS forum, one would find a thread from 2008 stating a listed price at $500. I bought this book from Amazon in 2004 for $14.99

The conspiracist in me wants to believe the book is being supressed by higher forces. But, if you know this book, it's just John's posts from 2000 in a more organized form, which anyone with a computer can find. Also, I now there is a PDF floating around the web.

What are your thoughts?

You're making the assumption that the book is actually selling for that price. It's not. That's just the price that the seller is asking. No one is paying more than a few dollars for The Book.

Actually, why would anyone buy The Book at any price when its entire content in its original, not edited, form is available right here? That's correct. The Book is nothing more than a regurgitation of our posts edited such that the chance of anyone suing the JTF for copyright violation is unlikely. Other than our edited posts the remaining content of The Book is a few pages of sappy comments by "Momma Kay" Titor and a forward by The Other Attorney.

I know this because I have a copy of The Book. No, I didn't pay for it. It was a gift from the JTF back in 2003.

Actually, why would anyone buy The Book at any price
I always much prefer having a real physical book- than an electronic version.

Having said that, I shall not be rushing out to read the Titor stuff- it isn't that interesting in the first place.
There are some excellent books on Time Travel like The Iron Sun, Reverse Time Travel and Breaking the time barrier for example- and there are loads more.
Dave

I always much prefer having a real physical book- than an electronic version.

Having said that, I shall not be rushing out to read the Titor stuff- it isn't that interesting in the first place.
There are some excellent books on Time Travel like The Iron Sun, Reverse Time Travel and Breaking the time barrier for example- and there are loads more.
Dave

Daver,

My comment wasn't a reference to electronic vs. paper editions. The Book is nothing more than a copy/paste and edit of the Titor thread "I am from 2036" (Post-2-Post) and the hijacked thread "Time Travel Paradoxes" (Time Travel Institute). That's all there is. It's a complete rip off of the threads plus the aforementioned silliness of adding in the character "Momma Kay" Titor and her bumper sticker philosopher comments.

You're making the assumption that the book is actually selling for that price. It's not. That's just the price that the seller is asking. No one is paying more than a few dollars for The Book.

And I'm sure the publisher and individual sellers are informing you of each sale they make?

The Book is nothing more than a regurgitation of our posts
This is not necessarily true. The book is interesting and merits study in its own right. You just need to know what questions to pose...

I know this because I have a
unexamined
copy of The Book. No, I didn't pay for it. It was a gift from the JTF back in 2003.

As ever
Kind Regards,
Temporal Recon

And I'm sure the publisher and individual sellers are informing you of each sale they make?

What publisher? The Book was written, typeset, and self-published by the JTF at VisiCorp in Celebration, FL. We believe this because "Buzzmaker" (aka Ben Z - we never learned his full name), the person who produced The Radio Program promo CD, stated to us that he personally witnessed the book being written and the "extra" graphics and manual pages contained in the "special edition" being created at the graphics lab at Visi. We believed him because 1) the email address that he used to register at Anomalies.net, and through which we had many email communications with Buzzmaker and Larry Haber, was the same email addressed used by the John Titor Foundation and "JTFan", the person who did the Internet spam-blitz book promotion in August of 2003 and; 2) because Larry Haber verified that Buzzmaker did, indeed, produce the promo CD. So there is no publisher other than the JTF itself. The Book only had one publication run. It has been out-of-print since 2004.

If you look at the price history it started as free for a few of us, then ~$15.00. On eBay and Amazon the price was $500, $400 and now $125. Obviously the market has not seen its price thus it is dropping. Oh, sure, some few people may have paid a hundred or more. Based on the comments on Amazon, however, there is really no evidence that suggests anyone paid more than the original $15.00.

What publisher? The Book was written, typeset, and self-published by the JTF at VisiCorp in Celebration, FL. We believe this because "Buzzmaker" (aka Ben Z - we never learned his full name), the person who produced The Radio Program promo CD, stated to us that he personally witnessed the book being written and the "extra" graphics and manual pages contained in the "special edition" being created at the graphics lab at Visi. We believed him because 1) the email address that he used to register at Anomalies.net, and through which we had many email communications with Buzzmaker and Larry Haber, was the same email addressed used by the John Titor Foundation and "JTFan", the person who did the Internet spam-blitz book promotion in August of 2003 and; 2) because Larry Haber verified that Buzzmaker did, indeed, produce the promo CD. So there is no publisher other than the JTF itself. The Book only had one publication run. It has been out-of-print since 2004.

If you look at the price history it started as free for a few of us, then ~$15.00. On eBay and Amazon the price was $500, $400 and now $125. Obviously the market has not seen its price thus it is dropping. Oh, sure, some few people may have paid a hundred or more. Based on the comments on Amazon, however, there is really no evidence that suggests anyone paid more than the original $15.00.

Darby,

Not sure if you intentionally dodged the point I made or you merely missed it. My point was that you are not knowledgeable in any regard as to the sales history of the JTF-published book, be it direct sales from the JTF in the early days of its publication or in the secondary market of individuals selling their personal copies hence.

I'm curious about your original statement:
No one is paying more than a few dollars for The Book.
Care to cite your source(s)?

As Ever,
Temporal Recon

Darby,

Not sure if you intentionally dodged the point I made or you merely missed it. My point was that you are not knowledgeable in any regard as to the sales history of the JTF-published book, be it direct sales from the JTF in the early days of its publication or in the secondary market of individuals selling their personal copies hence.

I'm curious about your original statement:

Care to cite your source(s)?

As Ever,
Temporal Recon

Read the entier two posts:

Oh, sure, some few people may have paid a hundred or more. Based on the comments on Amazon, however, there is really no evidence that suggests anyone paid more than the original $15.00.

If we keep our statements on a strong foundation of verifiable facts and avoid misleading others in what we may or may not know, we won't have to backtrack in an effort to salvage our initial claim.

Truth and honesty are truly liberating.

Your initial statement
was a complete fabrication on your part. You have absolutely no foundation for making this claim, and by doing so, you imply (whether wittingly or unwittingly) that you are privy to special knowledge. You are not.

Later, in an attempt to backtrack, you couched this misrepresentation in words such as
there is really no evidence that suggests...
This is nothing more than a poor attempt to obfuscate and deflect from your original false claim of knowledge on the sales of the JTF book.

In a larger sense, taken individually, your post is a small thing, but a small thing emblematic of a larger trend that I and others have noticed, and it is troubling.

And I wonder....

are others who are reading your previous similar claims of knowledge and expertise over the past 12 years....are they possibly rethinking their assumption that you are in any way knowledgeable about this topic, either specifically or in general, at all?

over the past 12 years, how many other statements are similarly weakly supported as the one at the top of this thread? a hint: there are many others.

We'll consider this a learning opportunity for the spectators of this thread.

Kindly
Temporal Recon

Temporal Recon;
Are you arguing for the sake of argument? You are challenging Darby's statements concerning the selling price of an out of print book displaying an inflated price on Amazon or E-bay. Who actually gives a damn? You demand to see the source of "his" statement...
Darby said:
Oh, sure, some few people may have paid a hundred or more. Based on the comments on Amazon, however, there is really no evidence that suggests anyone paid more than the original $15.00.

I would counter by asking you, "Would you be so kind, as to cite "your" sources, that indicate the statements made by Darby are "not" correct?"
I doubt you can so again, Are you arguing simply for the sake of arguing? Have you nothing better to do with your time than make unwarranted challenges?
All I can say is, Who gives a damn if some idiot, with more money than brains, wants to pay several hundred dollars for a "book" about a fictitious time travel story and I use the term "book" loosely.
Or,
Are "you" one of the people trying to sell a book for $500 because you were dumb enough to have paid that much to get one and now you realize you got screwed?:)

Temporal Recon;
Are you arguing for the sake of argument?
No
You are challenging Darby's statements concerning the selling price of an out of print book displaying an inflated price on Amazon or E-bay. Who actually gives a damn?
The OP, Netobrev.

I would counter by asking you, "Would you be so kind, as to cite "your" sources, that indicate the statements made by Darby are "not" correct?"
"Proving" a negative is impossible. I'm sure you are aware of this. When a statement is made, for it to have any weight, it must be backed up by facts. If the statement cannot be supported by facts, it falls into the realm of speculation and/or theory. Unfortunately, Mr. Darby did not identify his speculation/theory as such, inferring knowledgeability in the subject which would confer some sort of authority in the topic. I merely am pointing out that Mr. Darby has confused theory with fact, either wittingly or unwittingly.

I doubt you can
see above

so again, Are you arguing simply for the sake of arguing? Have you nothing better to do with your time than make unwarranted challenges?
Unwarranted? Have you given up all hope of skepticism and critical thought?

All I can say is, Who gives a damn
Again, the OP is one example of someone curious about this.

if some idiot, with more money than brains, wants to pay several hundred dollars for a "book" about a fictitious time travel story and I use the term "book" loosely.
fictitious? I'm assuming you must have some evidence to back up this claim, correct?

Or,
Are "you" one of the people trying to sell a book for $500 because you were dumb enough to have paid that much to get one and now you realize you got screwed?:)
No, I am not selling my copy. Thankfully, I received my copy as a gift from an interested (and bemused) party.

For those with eyes to see and curiosity to search, the book published by the JTF is indeed an interesting read for more reasons than may be apparent at first blush.

As Ever
Temporal Recon

I concede that netobrev "gives a damn". What I was referring to was, "Who gives a damn that "you" want Darby to prove his statements?"
I do not wish to engage in a protracted argument with you concerning logical arguments. I took the time to study it in college. Though it still gives me a headache, I believe I still understand it and your premise;
"Proving" a negative is impossible."
is incorrect. Look up Modus tollens, inductive argument, deductive argument, and evidence of absence if you wish to understand it also. If you choose not to, we leave it at that.

I concede that netobrev "gives a damn". What I was referring to was, "Who gives a damn that "you" want Darby to prove his statements?"

GPA:
I suppose we’ll never know. How many views has this thread gotten since Mr. Darby’s rank speculation was presented as fact?

Any statement one makes must be backed up facts, no matter how insignificant the statement. Otherwise, you're just left with simple braggadocio, speculation and empty statements.

When I observe statements such as
or
there is really no evidence that suggests...
or
I took the time to study it in college.

I and others require supporting facts.

Normally, in polite society one might get the benefit of the doubt to further a conversation along. Unfortunately, with his long history (12 years now) of making unsupported statements, Mr. Darby has no credibility in this regard, so no benefit of the doubt will be forthcoming.

My posts merely highlight for those reading these posts (either now or in the future) that Mr. Darby and others' statements of "fact" are no such thing.

For All
Temporal Recon

You are a pretentious fellow. A more interesting aspect of that is, I do not care what you think of me. I do not feel any need to present to you any "facts" to support my statements. I have not seen anything from you except disagreement. I see no supporting "facts". Just your opinion which you seem to think is the preeminent position. You are really not that interesting. I regret I engaged you this far. Enjoy your delusion. Argue away.

Back