Renting videos at Blockbuster in 1993

Cosmo

Owner
Staff member
Timekeeper
Remember those Friday nights at Blockbuster? As soon as you pushed through those glass doors, a distinct scent met your nose – a mix of plastic, popcorn, and the faintest hint of electrical ozone from the rows of TVs previewing movies. The fluorescent lights hummed overhead, casting a glow on the countless VHS tapes that lined the shelves.

It wasn't just about the movies; it was the atmosphere. The soft rustling sounds of hands sifting through movie cases, the low murmurs of families debating their choices, and the occasional beeping of the checkout counter. It was a ritual, a communal experience now lost to time.

As I ambled through the aisles, choices loomed large: an outer-space odyssey, a belly laugh comedy, or perhaps, after weeks of anticipation, that elusive copy of Mortal Kombat for the SNES. And yes, amidst the troves of titles, there was that movie: Buffy the Vampire Slayer. My eyes darted, stealing glimpses of Kristy Swanson's captivating allure, all while praying my parents wouldn’t catch that lingering look.

But the crown jewel of the night? That game which beckoned with its siren call, guaranteeing a weekend of unparalleled digital escapism. Securing it felt like a win, a ticket to immerse in a pixelated realm, momentarily forgetting chores and the real world... until, inevitably, reality (or mom) knocked on the door.

There were missteps, of course. Games that promised much but delivered little. Yet, these minor letdowns only amplified the ecstasy of unearthing a genuine masterpiece on subsequent visits.

Despite the convenience of streaming, nothing can replicate the tactile allure and tangible magic of a visit to Blockbuster Video.

.... you talking about a timeline where movies were still good... great movies all through the 20 century.... even up until to 2016.... but in the current timeline movies are no longer movies... they are garbage

Remember those Friday nights at Blockbuster? As soon as you pushed through those glass doors, a distinct scent met your nose – a mix of plastic, popcorn, and the faintest hint of electrical ozone from the rows of TVs previewing movies. The fluorescent lights hummed overhead, casting a glow on the countless VHS tapes that lined the shelves.

It wasn't just about the movies; it was the atmosphere. The soft rustling sounds of hands sifting through movie cases, the low murmurs of families debating their choices, and the occasional beeping of the checkout counter. It was a ritual, a communal experience now lost to time.

As I ambled through the aisles, choices loomed large: an outer-space odyssey, a belly laugh comedy, or perhaps, after weeks of anticipation, that elusive copy of Mortal Kombat for the SNES. And yes, amidst the troves of titles, there was that movie: Buffy the Vampire Slayer. My eyes darted, stealing glimpses of Kristy Swanson's captivating allure, all while praying my parents wouldn’t catch that lingering look.

But the crown jewel of the night? That game which beckoned with its siren call, guaranteeing a weekend of unparalleled digital escapism. Securing it felt like a win, a ticket to immerse in a pixelated realm, momentarily forgetting chores and the real world... until, inevitably, reality (or mom) knocked on the door.

There were missteps, of course. Games that promised much but delivered little. Yet, these minor letdowns only amplified the ecstasy of unearthing a genuine masterpiece on subsequent visits.

Despite the convenience of streaming, nothing can replicate the tactile allure and tangible magic of a visit to Blockbuster Video.

So many times I'd be on the phone with my wife as she torpedoed suggestion after suggestion lolol.

We had one at the bottom of the hill, so junior high me could ride down there on my yellow BMX in 10 or 15 minutes.

I'd spend like three hours gawking at all the different games, and you can only go by what's on the back of the box... So I rented a lot of turds. To this day, I'll never understand why I rented Superman 64 more than once.

Joke's on them though, now it's a hardware store:

1695297641056.webp

Last edited:
Not Blockbuster, but I remember going to the video club as a kid. We'd rent NES and SNES games.

The best games they had were mostly Super Mario RPG, the Donkey Kong Country games. Top Gear, Mortal Kombat. Good memories. :)

Later as teenagers, when the place was quiet, we'd sometimes take quick peek at the p0rn0 VHS tapes hidden behind a small cabinet door, in the corner. Exciting 90s times! lol