Solving The Grandfather Paradox

Terry Stonefield

Temporal Novice
The grandfather paradox states that if you go into the past and kill your grandfather you could never have been born. Therefore it would be impossible for you to travel back through time and kill him. However this is solvable once we realize that time is both linear and cyclical. Similar to a racetrack the 'Start, and 'End' of a path or lifespan are the same exact point. It is a cyclical process. However it is also linear in the sense that you are constantly moving 'forwards'. That is our first instance of linear and cyclical time.

In this example your grandfather's first trip around the track resulted in your father's birth and consequently yours. Then your revisit to his life prompts a second loop around the track. This time he experiences alternative events, namely his early death by you. However nothing can take away that first loop that he had.

Therefore the life events or 'driving forwards' along the path are linear events. Combined, those linear events make up a loop or cyclical path. Meanwhile the completion of one loop after the next is a linear process. The two forms of time go from one to the next then back again. From linear to cyclical to linear, and so on and so forth. It's cyclical paths along a linear line that itself is ultimately cyclical, and so on so forth. It's a fractal.

Therefore going back and killing your grandfather would not effect your life. Going back would merely supply him with a secondary alternative lifespan or loop.

Additional: By implementing not just one but to forms of time the Universe is allowing us to travel any direction through time as it does space while keeping it's overall integrity.

I have a very simple but effective solution for the whole 'grandfather paradox'.. and it doesnt require the cheats way out of 'different timelines' (which I think has become a terribly convienient but lazy theory/escape clause for some TT posters ).

Unfortuately I cant tell you it because Im writing a time travel book and this theory is key to the plot and you will all steal my idea and make millions. .. so sorry to tease you, and then not deliver the details, but you should know that at least one perfectly sound solution does exist.. and therefore there are probably others too...