"The future ain't what it used to be."

Stephen Hawking's Time Traveller Party

vodkafan

Timekeeper
This might have been already mentioned on here. Anyway it's pretty neat. Back in 2009 Prof. Stephen Hawking held a party at Cambridge University. He did not tell anybody about it.
He waited 4 years and then advertised it in 2013 as open to time travellers. Looks like nobody turned up. Surely that would have been a date no time traveller could resist. That's all they had to do is turn up.

Probably only the FBI knows for sure. They probably nabbed anyone that showed up. Wouldn't want the populace to know that time travel exists. Easy for the FBI though. They just used their personal time transport devices, and waited for any unsuspecting time travelers right at Hawking's front door.

Haha lol what a lovely idea Einstein. I really hope they did. Although it would be MI5 laying in wait not the FBI

That is a terrible party invitation format. Telling your invitees that nobody showed up is practically telling them it's not worthwhile for them to come either. He should have told them all their friends would be there, including weighted companion cube, and there would be cake.

1. Maybe they did show up, but each in a different time line

2. WHY would they all want to be together in the same place anyway? So governments and psychos could take them
down?

1. Maybe they did show up, but each in a different time line

2. WHY would they all want to be together in the same place anyway? So governments and psychos could take them
down?

Paula, your first statement didn't seem to make sense. If a time traveller only shows up in his own version of a timeline but never in anybody else's there will never be any proof. For one thing if it works like that the alleged John Titor could never have been able to come into our time and post on a forum. You can't have it both ways. A time traveller will either come into our perception of events or to us he doesn't exist and doesn't matter.

Your second point I kind of agree with. Although I do not believe there are government agencies poised waiting to pounce on any time travellers, I am of the opinion that a time traveller would not be advertising his existence and shouting it from the rooftops.

Paula, your first statement didn't seem to make sense. If a time traveller only shows up in his own version of a timeline but never in anybody else's there will never be any proof. For one thing if it works like that the alleged John Titor could never have been able to come into our time and post on a forum. You can't have it both ways. A time traveller will either come into our perception of events or to us he doesn't exist and doesn't matter.

I apologize. I may not understand what you are saying. I see no problem with entering another timeline. It is a copy of our current one with minute changes. Example, and of course this is all hypothetical because I'm not a physicist, but if Hawking sends out an invitation in THIS timeline, he did so in another one as well.

I apologize. I may not understand what you are saying. I see no problem with entering another timeline. It is a copy of our current one with minute changes. Example, and of course this is all hypothetical because I'm not a physicist, but if Hawking sends out an invitation in THIS timeline, he did so in another one as well.

OK, but if that event is the same in multiple universes then why would a time traveller only turn up in one universe and not in another? Why is that event not the same? We can only concern ourselves with events in this universe. The date was set. No time travellers turned up. That means they never will, because they didn't.

We need a good definition of what we mean by the word "timeline". The Many Worlds Interpretation , as far as I have read, doesn't really talk about parallel "lines" of time. Again, it something our brains fall back on because we cannot grasp it. The only "timeline" we can surmise is the past, which appears fixed to us.

It's possible that we live in a finite multiverse where every universe has its own timeline. Interacting with the past in one universe would require something that's faster than the speed of light. Jumping from one universe to another would not have the FTL requirement.

Hawking's chronology protection conjecture argues that the universe would block any time travel, ever were it possible.

Hawking's chronology protection conjecture argues that the universe would block any time travel, ever were it possible.

Hawking's chronology protection conjecture is based on a single timeline/single universe model, it does not include the multiverse concept in Quantum physics.

Hawking's chronology protection conjecture is based on a single timeline/single universe model, it does not include the multiverse concept in Quantum physics.

Sorry, that explains absolutely nothing. Are you implying that time travellers DID go to Hawking's party but in a different timestream? We already dealt with that a few posts back in reply to PaulaJedi.

Sorry, that explains absolutely nothing. Are you implying that time travellers DID go to Hawking's party but in a different timestream? We already dealt with that a few posts back in reply to PaulaJedi.

Hi vodkafan,

Under quantum theory, any travellers from this timeline would never return to Hawking's party in this timeline. Because you can only travel to an adjacent timeline. Does it make any sense to you?

Hi vodkafan,

Under quantum theory, any travellers from this timeline would never return to Hawking's party in this timeline. Because you can only travel to an adjacent timeline. Does it make any sense to you?

The problem is you speak as if this theory is fact and it is the only theory about time travel under quantum theory. There is another theory postulated under quantum principles that says the energy requirements necessary to traverse between ANY two universes is too large to accomplish the feat. In this theory, time travel via "alternate world lines" is a bust, and therefore this would also explain why no one (from any other timeline) showed up to Hawking's party. And I would ask which of these two theories does Occam's razor serve?

RMT

The problem is that the party was hosted by Hawking. That's the reason why nobody showed up. If Hugh Hefner hosted a party for time traveler's at Mansion West, every time traveler, from whatever 'timeline' would have been there.

The problem is you speak as if this theory is fact and it is the only theory about time travel under quantum theory. There is another theory postulated under quantum principles that says the energy requirements necessary to traverse between ANY two universes is too large to accomplish the feat. In this theory, time travel via "alternate world lines" is a bust, and therefore this would also explain why no one (from any other timeline) showed up to Hawking's party. And I would ask which of these two theories does Occam's razor serve?

RMT

In quantum theory, you can have one or zero or both at the same time in superstate.

If the statement "no time traveller in Hawking's party" serves as zero,
then the opposite statement "there is time traveller in Hawking's party" would serves as one,
and there is a superstate of both statements are true.

The same principle apply to the statement "no one from any other timeline showed up to Hawking's party".

Does the above statement make sense?

Occam's Razor is a large obstacle to a person if one really want to understand Quantum theory.

Back