"The future ain't what it used to be."

Time travel simulated using light particle in Melbourne, Australia

servantx

Timekeeper
Time travel simulated using light particle - The Times of India

MELBOURNE: Australian researchers have used photons — single particles of light — to simulate quantum particles travelling through time.

University of Queensland researchers used photons to simulate quantum particles travelling through time and study their behaviour, possibly revealing bizarre aspects of modern physics.

Simulating time travel: Doctor Who meets Professor Heisenberg

Published in Nature Communications, the paper "Experimental Simulation of Closed Timelike Curves" includes Dr Matthew Broome, Dr Casey Myers, Professor Andrew White and Professor Timothy Ralph, all from The University of Queensland.

The journal paper: http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/140619/ncomms5145/full/ncomms5145.html

In layman's terms, what are the ramifications of this experiment?
Basically they try to simulate Closed Timelike Curves (CTCs) with quantum qubit in light speed, and try to observe the nonlinear behaviour of a qubit interacting unitarily with an older version of itself.

Basically they try to simulate Closed Timelike Curves (CTCs) with quantum qubit in light speed, and try to observe the nonlinear behaviour of a qubit interacting unitarily with an older version of itself.

Yes, it's very interesting. However, it does indeed seem to be a simulation of the effects of time travel, standing on the grounds of the absence of causation in photon activity. It almost seems to be like sending one of two identical twins to a very different environment, and then reintroducing it to the other to see how they interact - but, on a quantum level. Or, maybe that's a poor metaphor...

I see the above comments including einstein's, "Just more fiction," but it all leaves me wondering - what is it that you're all commenting on? The referenced article doesn't mention anything at all about the experiment. It gives zero details even so far as what it is they were specifically investigating. At best the article states some basic principles of GR and QM. There's a link to the abstract but the abstract just gives a very brief overview of the paper (which is what an abstract is for).

Did someone here pay the $32 to purchase the paper and is offering an informed opinion or are we making comments in the dark (including the "Just more fiction" comment) because someone said time travel in an online article?

I see the above comments including einstein's, "Just more fiction," but it all leaves me wondering - what is it that you're all commenting on? The referenced article doesn't mention anything at all about the experiment. It gives zero details even so far as what it is they were specifically investigating. At best the article states some basic principles of GR and QM. There's a link to the abstract but the abstract just gives a very brief overview of the paper (which is what an abstract is for).

Did someone here pay the $32 to purchase the paper and is offering an informed opinion or are we making comments in the dark (including the "Just more fiction" comment) because someone said time travel in an online article?

In addition to the supplied link and abstract, I referenced some other articles online that had maybe a couple of extra details. My comments were a reflection of what I was able to glean, which is no doubt incomplete. You know, I was wondering the same thing, though - does anyone have access to the paper? I might have to see if my local library does...

You know, I was wondering the same thing, though - does anyone have access to the paper? I might have to see if my local library does...

It won't be in the library. It's a copyrighted research paper published in an accredited scientific journal. It's only available (legitimately) if one pays the $32 and buys it. One might find it in the research section of a university library if the university subscribes to the journal. But these journals are usually not found in the general areas of the library. Professors and grad students can have access to those restricted areas for approved research projects.

Payment for the articles is one way that researchers pay the bills to do the research. :)

However, if you want to see other articles independently posted by the researchers try ArXiv arXiv.org Search and search their names by authors.

BTW there are many. The authors are not a bunch of unknown amateurs.

It won't be in the library. It's a copyrighted research paper published in an accredited scientific journal. It's only available (legitimately) if one pays the $32 and buys it. One might find it in the research section of a university library if the university subscribes to the journal. But these journals are usually not found in the general areas of the library. Professors and grad students can have access to those restricted areas for approved research projects.

Payment for the articles is one way that researchers pay the bills to do the research. :)

However, if you want to see other articles independently posted by the researchers try ArXiv arXiv.org Search and search their names by authors.

BTW there are many. The authors are not a bunch of unknown amateurs.

Great suggestion regarding ArXiv. Yeah, sometimes my state or local library has in-house access to various journals through JSTOR and other databases, but alas they don't have "Nature Communications".

Relating to this article and it's context my own subjective experiences: Revolutionary Quantum Entanglement Superposition System with Time Travel Aspect already developed and working: Life is Living Art website states: "My own personal subjective experiences around the idea of Quantum Entanglement shows wonderfully through many examples, that the scientists are never able to understand it all - unless they experience it subjectively themselves. After experiencing Quantum Entanglement themselves, they can bring the awareness and inner wisdom gained from the experience to the equation. Suddenly many missing links just seem to appear out of nowhere and wholeness becomes Crystal Clear: In Randomness there is Divine Order - Structure, which is contained within everything and no-thing at the same time. Here on this page I have demonstrated how the idea of Quantum Teleportation actually works and I have a solid proof of this system in action." - Life is Living Art ~ Art of Conscious Living: Quantum Entanglement System

Relation to Alexander Graham Bell (Inventor of the Phone) & John S. Bell (originator of Bell's Theorem in Quantum Physics) Life is Living Art ~ Art of Conscious Living: Quantum Entanglement System

You might be wondering what does the inventor of the Phone (Alexander Graham Bell) and the originator of Bell's Theorem (John S. Bell) have to do with all of this. Let me clarify it a little bit: We are of the same Family Line: Bell. I'm continuing their work (you could think of it as legacy from that was left for me to find in proper time/space). You can find out more about these connections throughout this website, but this is a good place to start: Yoga, The Importance of Breath, Seane Corn, Batman & Bell connection + Empire Of The Sun & DNA, Phoenix (Re-Birth), Anastasia Sokolova, Dancing in the Rain, Unstoppable Wild Woman .

In short Graham Bell invented the phone, that was a catalyst for the modern day Computers, Programming languages, Networks and Internet (Bell Labs). John S. Bell In the other hand proposed in 1964 a test to settle once and for all, whether quantum mechanics really is as weird as it famously appears to be, in that it allows for instantaneous communication between two particles, no matter how far apart they are, on condition that they were once entangled together in the same place. The short answer, as experiments carried out over subsequent decades have shown, is yes, it is. Bell's test also led physicists like Dr. Ekert to a remarkable insight: Made sufficiently sensitive the Bell test could be used to guarantee perfectly secure communication.

In actuality there's nothing unusual, strange or bizarre in Quantum Mechanics. It may seem strange for those, who only use logical left side of their brains to observe and understand this wholeness. John S. Bell stated in his theorem:

"No physical theory of local hidden variables can ever reproduce all of the predictions of quantum mechanics."

This simply means, that Quantum Physics and it's underlying mechanism can't be understood and measured in traditional, orthodox ways of viewing things (level of consciousness and thinking). In order to understand subtle nature of Quantum World and it's operation, one would have to utilize both hemispheres of their brain. In Quantum World this becomes that - likewise the observer needs to become inseparate part of the observed particle, to fully understand it's existence and properties it helds.

~ Quantum Physics - Bell's Theorem, Alexander Graham Bell ~

Facebook update 4th of July 2014: "Somewhere within the quantum foam of existence, amongst the very building blocks of reality, there is a universe where you ... are Batman" :) This is quite much so see the following links below Christian Bale (Bell family lineage) was 13 yrs. old when he got his first acting role in the film "Empire of the Sun". I was 13 yrs. old when Ukrainian born Elen Levon was born (13th of July 1994 [I explored this year on my blogpost about Quantum Entanglement with Brazil, Ukraine and Romania]). We all have a Life Path Number 7. Christian Bale was born 7 years before me and my little brother 7 years after me exactly same day.

links to these:

Novaspace Time Travel + Elisabeth (Ayahuasca), 808 Beat, Nocturnals, Fox, 33rd Parallel Novaspace Time Travel + Elisabeth (Ayahuasca), 808 Beat, Nocturnals, Fox, 33rd Parallel | Life is Living Art ~ Art of Conscious Living

Cosmic Dancer (Bell[y|You] Dance) ~ Time Traveling Healing Bell ~ Wave ~ From Deep » WithIN « under the surface Cosmic Dancer (Bell[y|You] Dance) ~ Time Traveling Healing Bell ~ Wave ~ From Deep » WithIN « under the surface | Life is Living Art ~ Art of Conscious Living

Message from the Future: Let there be Light ~ Reality IS » WithIN « Your Consciousness Message from the Future: Let there be Light ~ Reality IS » WithIN « Your Consciousness | Life is Living Art ~ Art of Conscious Living

Interesting Developments: Romanian Language, Time Travel, Quantum Non-Locality & Entanglement Interesting Developments: Romanian Language, Time Travel, Quantum Non-Locality & Entanglement | Life is Living Art ~ Art of Conscious Living

Time Travel Experiences with Romanian Singer Antonia + Continuum Time Travel Experiences with Romanian Singer Antonia + Continuum | Life is Living Art ~ Art of Conscious Living

Back