"The future ain't what it used to be."

Times slip tunnel similar to Bold St London is found in China

if it was possible to know when, and where a times slip is going to happen that would have been tested already we just have to wait and find out, it also depends on how far back or forward you send that text, for example if you go to the future the person you sent the text to could probably get it at that time but right when you go back is like you never sent it to them even though you did in the future but if you go back let's say a week they would have seen the text a week ago even though you sent it like 5 minutes ago, it's irrelevant really, if you go back 20 years the text will not be sent and you will have to try again when you go back to your time.

damn, why does GuiZhou have to be so far away from the areas I frequent in China! Will have to go through this someday. Probably just a cell-phone system glitch anyway, but would make great practical joke material for the unknowing passenger...

Car Tunnel in China Allows You Travel Back in Time [Video]

Now what happen if send your TXT when you see the phone clock turn back time?

I set my phone to the year 2038 to see if my phone was susceptible to the 2038 time glitch. I received a text while it was set to this date in the future. As I continued the conversation, the message received in 2038 continually jumped to the front of the text thread, as if it were the most recent message (afterall, it was dated 24 years in the future).

And that's all that happens. Nothing exciting.

Moz

P.S. My phone is free of the 2038 issue.

Mybe because the modern people doesn't know that mechanical watches exist? :) I have one old russian watch at my age averagly, but... it works. It remains only the problem where from I will find money to go to China :)

Every report on this situation regards only cellphone clocks being set back. The explanation is pretty simple. A "test" with a mechanical watch is unnecessary because such a watch will be unaffected.

Moz

Cellphones are set to auto-update the time and date. This information is provided by whichever tower your phone is connecting to at any given time.

For some reason, near the tunnel, cellphones sometimes briefly connect to a tower that is set to an hour earlier. After leaving about a mile from the area, the phones reconnect to a properly set tower.

I've noticed a similar phenomenon when traveling near the Eastern and Central timezone border; my phone can switch several times back and forth an hour.

It's nothing complicated.

Moz

Cellphones are set to auto-update the time and date. This information is provided by whichever tower your phone is connecting to at any given time.

For some reason, near the tunnel, cellphones sometimes briefly connect to a tower that is set to an hour earlier. After leaving about a mile from the area, the phones reconnect to a properly set tower.

I've noticed a similar phenomenon when traveling near the Eastern and Central timezone border; my phone can switch several times back and forth an hour.

It's nothing complicated.

Moz
you are ALMOST correct in your theory. Time zones are never in 10 minute increments. Mine flipped today when I was in Mexico, which where I am is unequivocally Central Time. My phone flipped back and forth a few times for no apparent reason, but not in 10 minute increments. But I am sure a programming glitch could account for the 10-minute offset, easily

you are ALMOST correct in your theory. Time zones are never in 10 minute increments. Mine flipped today when I was in Mexico, which where I am is unequivocally Central Time. My phone flipped back and forth a few times for no apparent reason, but not in 10 minute increments. But I am sure a programming glitch could account for the 10-minute offset, easily

I didn't ever mention 10 minute intervals.

Every report on this situation regards only cellphone clocks being set back. The explanation is pretty simple. A "test" with a mechanical watch is unnecessary because such a watch will be unaffected.

Moz

You stated that a mechanical watch will be unaffected as an absolute fact.

1. Have you been there and conducted experiments to prove absolutely that mechanical watches will be unaffected?
2. Are you a geologist or have knowledge of the geological composition where the tunnel is located?

It is entirely possible that the material surrounding that tunnel can indeed affect electronic and mechanical devices, especially if the area is heavy with a mineral such as magnetite.

You stated that a mechanical watch will be unaffected as an absolute fact.

1. Have you been there and conducted experiments to prove absolutely that mechanical watches will be unaffected?
2. Are you a geologist or have knowledge of the geological composition where the tunnel is located?

It is entirely possible that the material surrounding that tunnel can indeed affect electronic and mechanical devices, especially if the area is heavy with a mineral such as magnetite.

We needn't go to such extremes in order to make a decisive conclusion.

(a) Every single report about this tunnel that you can find only references cellphone clocks being set back. There is no mention of, for example, the digital clocks inside the cars themselves being affected. Additionally, one can presume that somebody in China wears a watch, but not a single thing mentions that wristwatches are being affected.

Seeing as that would make the stories more exciting, if there were something to report on these items, they certainly would be mentioned.

Therefore, it is safe to surmise that only cellphones are affected.

(b) The cellphones are only being set an hour back; never any other interval. This strongly corroborates the idea that cellphones are simply being directed to a different tower when going through the tunnel if they update while passing through.

Based on these two points, it is very safe to conclude that mechanical watches will not be affected by passing through the tunnel. They do not update using the information from a cell tower. Mystery solved.

Moz

Back