Video games with time travel elements

crimsonghost747

Temporal Novice
Time shift is one of my all time favourites. It doesn't deal with time travel in the general sense but you can manipulate time in the short term. (slow it down, rewind, stop etc) Also noticed that there is already a thread about Time Commando (another old but great) so started to wonder what other games are there?

I absolutely adore Chrono Trigger! It is both my favourite Super Nintendo game and my favourite Square Enix RPG!

Square Enix excels at crafting RPGs featuring epic main story arcs riddled with plot twists and numerous nonlinear side quests, hidden extra playable characters, and alternative endings--and I believe that this is most evident with Chrono Trigger! (I consider the revelation of Magus' origin and true motivation to be one of the greatest plot twists of any video game, bringing unexpected depth and complexity to what at first seemed to be a fairly stock, one dimensional villain!)

More so than any other video game about time travel that I have actually played, Chrono Trigger cleverly uses time travel in manner that spans numerous disparate chronological eras to blend together several familiar sub-genres within the broader fantasy and science-fiction umbrella and moreover allows the player to travel through those eras in a non-linear fashion that incorporates significant cause-and-effect scenarios! (Contrast that to how time travel is usually treated in other video games, such as the admittedly-quite-fun-but-extremely-linear-and-simplistic Turtles in Time: Here's the prehistoric level! Now here's the old west level! Now here's the futuristic level!)

Furthermore, on top of all that: Chrono Trigger also had a fantastically varied combat system that allowed the party to grow together rather than independently as if in a vacuum, learning special character specific team-work moves to a degree that surpasses that of any other RPG I have played!

All the above makes Chrono Trigger a rather unique and thoroughly enjoyable, fresh experience for numerous play-throughs! I cannot recommend this game enough for fans of nineties styled JRPGs, especially those intrigued by stories about time travel!

And yet, despite my love for Chrono Trigger: I have yet to give its sequel, Chrono Cross, a try! It just so happened to come out after I started my undergraduate degree and thus put video games aside to concentrate on my studies, and as such it passed completely under my radar! Even now, I only casually play older games every now and then out of nostalgia. I'll eventually get around to it though...

So two votes for Chrono Trigger! Too bad it's not available for the pc, and my SNES is hidden somewhere since I can't even plug it into modern televisions.

Dragon age Inquistion ps3 has a time travel element,where you and others get sent one year into the future by Alexius who is jealous you got the mark and a mistake made by you being chosen. It is a future where you don't exist so Leilana is tortured and also catches the blight and turns psycho and used for experiments. This is a bad future you go to as Alexius tried to erase you but it sends you forward one year to a bad timeline and Felix or leilana die and you come back to the real world with no real consequences as you save the world from the bad timeline.

So two votes for Chrono Trigger! Too bad it's not available for the pc, and my SNES is hidden somewhere since I can't even plug it into modern televisions.
You could download an emulator and play it on your pc. Also, if you have an iPhone or iPad, you can download the full game from the app store! It costs US$9.99. They adapted the game to a touch screen console and it's awesome!

Chrono Trigger without a doubt does the whole time travel thing right. I know there was time travel elements in Final fantasy 8 and Sly cooper 4 but I can't remember any other games at this time.

I hope one day we get another engaging story and concept like Chrono Trigger.