"The future ain't what it used to be."

Non Disclosure

You mean like the laws we have today against committing murder, or against owning a firearm if you are a convicted felon? It is not enough to posit a law. One must also consider the likelihood of that law being followed by one and all. We see with ALL laws we pass in our society today, it is not just a matter of one or two people disobeying important laws. LARGE numbers of people will disobey a law, especially if they see a benefit to themselves. It does not even have to be a large benefit to themselves to break a law of today's technology. Now consider just how huge a benefit time traveling would be, and then estimate accordingly how many people you think will obey these laws. And in time travel, it only takes a few people not obeying such laws for people throughout time to become aware that time travel is a reality. Darby's point stands, completely notwithstanding any consideration you may give for any man-made (and man-enforced, if possible) laws for time traveling.

RMT
Hi Rainman. Yes very true, but if time travel is widely used and available to the masses in the future, surely we would then be inundated in Time travelers visiting our current time at this present time, with many "reckless Travelers" divulging it's source,mechanics as well as flippantly foretelling future events.

Hi Rainman. Yes very true, but if time travel is widely used and available to the masses in the future, surely we would then be inundated in Time travelers visiting our current time at this present time, with many "reckless Travelers" divulging it's source,mechanics as well as flippantly foretelling future events.

Exactly. So then if you put these two facts together:
(1) The tendency of some (quite a few) humans to break laws whenever they see a benefit to themselves.
(2) The fact we do not see ourselves inundated with time travelers right now.

What might this tell us about the possibilities of time travel ever becoming a viable technology? As Darby often puts it: "If time travel ever becomes possible we should already know about it right now...where are all the time travelers?"

I would further submit to you that the reason we do not see time travelers is related to the scientific fact that we are not merely traveling through time in our lives, but we are traveling through space-time. This fact is the sole fact that is missing from ALL romantic stories about time travel. We must account for what Einstein taught us about the reality of the fabric of space-time. That is, you cannot ONLY travel through time. You must also be traveling through space. And further to that, your mass MUST also change as you travel through space-time. The greater your rate of passage through space-time the larger you change in mass must be.

When you consider these facts, I suggest to you that the ONLY phenomenon that humans have reported throughout time that might even remotely align itself with the romantic ideas of time travel are UFOs, in that we assume that UFOs have traveled through space (and thus necessarily also through time) to visit us here at earth. It may be that the "aliens in the UFOs" that humans report are the only real (space)-time travelers we will ever come to know about.

RMT

Exactly. So then if you put these two facts together:
(1) The tendency of some (quite a few) humans to break laws whenever they see a benefit to themselves.
(2) The fact we do not see ourselves inundated with time travelers right now.

What might this tell us about the possibilities of time travel ever becoming a viable technology? As Darby often puts it: "If time travel ever becomes possible we should already know about it right now...where are all the time travelers?"

I would further submit to you that the reason we do not see time travelers is related to the scientific fact that we are not merely traveling through time in our lives, but we are traveling through space-time. This fact is the sole fact that is missing from ALL romantic stories about time travel. We must account for what Einstein taught us about the reality of the fabric of space-time. That is, you cannot ONLY travel through time. You must also be traveling through space. And further to that, your mass MUST also change as you travel through space-time. The greater your rate of passage through space-time the larger you change in mass must be.

When you consider these facts, I suggest to you that the ONLY phenomenon that humans have reported throughout time that might even remotely align itself with the romantic ideas of time travel are UFOs, in that we assume that UFOs have traveled through space (and thus necessarily also through time) to visit us here at earth. It may be that the "aliens in the UFOs" that humans report are the only real (space)-time travelers we will ever come to know about.

RMT
Hi Rainman Time
Excellently stated and explained. May I say I so appreciate these replies as I so enjoy other aspects of Time Travel from others, which is how one learns and understands such subjects from such like minded people :)...I too had exactly the same view as Darby re: If time travel is possible in the future why has no one traveled back to our time on record!! This is were my comfort in stating the exact heading of my post being "Non Disclosure" of a Time Traveler. Perhaps I am being nieve in so thinking as am I always open to others view points providing they are constructive, as your is. At this present time Logic prevails and yes perhaps Time travel would be based on a completely different mind set, in space and time, as to what we presently understand. However, the future, I expect, may bring in so many more discoveries and understandings of which we have no concept of at this Time

Understood 100%. But I would like to think that time travel in the future would be closely guarded and only available to those who are completely versed and trained in the understanding and implications of one traveling in time. Therefore I would think there would be strict laws laid down and adhered to by a said Time traveler, one being not to disclose his existence to a time where Time Travel is yet not discovered

Although I took issue with your thoughts about female time travellers,
I completely agree with this statement and in fact that is a major component in my novel!

Many time travelers frequent this forum. Their postings show up in the "Time Travel Claims" forum. Unfortunately for them, when they speak about these things they change the future and appear to be lying. :)

Back