"The future ain't what it used to be."

John Titor - "We control Hawking Radiation"

Darby

Timekeeper
John Titor - \"We control Hawking Radiation\"

John Titor proposed that his near future society controls Hawking radiation. Is that possible? If yes, why? What does this have to do with thermodynamics and "conservation of information"? What is the current theory of the surface of a black hole event horizon (actually the surface 1 Planck length from the outer surface of the EH)?

Re: John Titor - \"We control Hawking Radiation\"

Hello Darby. I found this site : http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/preskill/blackhole_bet.html which I enjoyed reading.

My uneducated guess is that yes, we can control it. As I understand it, it's electromagnetic radiation which we can control up to certain levels of intensity and wavelengths. I'm pretty sure I remember you posting the amount of heat emitted by two supposed "rotating micro-singularities" that could move through time based on Tipler's model of a time machine, would be far too much radiation for his little device in the picture to handle.

This link: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=120129993&blogId=383890494

gives this equation for temperature in Kelvin that comes out of a black hole.

Tk = (h-bar c^3) / ( Ko GM)

(h-bar = reduced Planck constant)
(c = speed of light)
(Ko = Boltzmann constant)
(G = Gravitational constant)
(M = Mass in KG)

I'm not sure if I understand this, does it mean that as the mass decreases the temperature will increase? So a very small black hole will produce a very quick burst of heat? Introduce the Titors hypothetical electron injection method and that heat is not a quick burst, it's constantly there which I assume is so much heat, we can't use tiny device like Titor claimed to control it.

Regarding conservation of information, I thought (until reading these pages) that information was always lost through quantum processes. As we increase the accuracy of measuring momentum of a small particle, the accuracy of the position decreases. We lose the ability to "reverse" the system, so why is this not considered lost information when there is no way to measure both with exact accuracy?

Personally I'd prefer if our universe was entirely reversible, so we could look into that past and watch events as if we were there in person. If "conservation of information" is a law then doesn't it mean this will someday be possible?

Back