"The future ain't what it used to be."

An Off-hand Comment...

KerrTexas

Timekeeper
Watching the previews of up-coming shows on the History Channel, they have a program that will explain how Raptors evolved into Turkeys.

I can not help but laugh.

I can abide with the theory that Croc's, Alligator's and some Sharks have evolved as far as evolution could "perfect" these species. Thus, they have remained pretty much the same through-out the ages.

If evolution IS perfecting species, I just find it ironic that a Raptor would evolve into a Turkey.

As a side note: If a major catastrophic event caused the extinction of most of the Jurassic life-forms...then how would any of the species be given the time or the opportunity to "evolve" into something else...eh...like from being a Raptor and evolving into a Turkey ?

ROFLMAO !!!!

It does seem ironic that one of the most predatory creatures evolves into a creature which is quite delicious...

Perhaps God does have a sense of humor

Ran across another thought provoking tid-bit of information that came up during a conversation 'round the campfire during our expedition, of which I am taking a little break from for a few days.

There was once a group of Native American's that lived along the coast of Texas back in the day. It is said that their warriors were over 6 feet tall. Seems a tad unusual for the cultures of the time.

They also favored the long bow as a weapon. These also were as tall, if not taller than the warrior's themselves and used arrows "at least" 3 feet in length, then topped off with a flint or chert point.

The warriors also were tattoed with lines all over their bodies, and would smear animal grease all over to ward off insect bites.

Now...I don't know about anybody else, but these guys seems like the stuff that nightmares are made of.

I also have to wonder where they originated from...being 6 feet tall seems to indicate they were not from the coastal region of Texas, but had traveled to their last known location from elsewhere around the globe, or were the last of a civilization long forgotten.

Apparently, none of the Karankawa exist anymore, although it was also said that they used canoes for transportation, and were familiar with navigating the coastal waterways and swamps in a manner of extreme stealth. They were known to suddenly appear as though from no-where, and vanish in the same manner of thier arrival.

I would imagine that if these warriors were that skilled, it seems to me as though they would have took off into the swamps and stay hidden from the Europeans.

Well from Raptors to Warriors times change animals change. It would be un-settling to think that humans could de-evolve like the Raptor to a turkey thing but I once read in a science article that said it could happen if the conditions were right. There are a lot of animals around today that a long time ago use to be a lot bigger. Cats are one of them. Look at the house cat and look at the lion. Bugs too are a good example of this some of them things were once much bigger than they are today.

Well from Raptors to Warriors times change animals change. It would be un-settling to think that humans could de-evolve like the Raptor to a turkey thing but I once read in a science article that said it could happen if the conditions were right. There are a lot of animals around today that a long time ago use to be a lot bigger. Cats are one of them. Look at the house cat and look at the lion. Bugs too are a good example of this some of them things were once much bigger than they are today.

Change is the only constant.

In a conversation this morning the subject of de-evolution came up, and both of us felt that we are witnessing a de-evolution of sorts taking place. I don't know who else has noticed that language seems to be in a state of decline.

There is quite a bit of laziness in many written materials. This is evident around the internet, with even so-called professional writers publishing material that contains obvious errors...some are the mis-spelling of simple words and simple grammatical errors.

IF one is to read books written in the past, the use of the language is far more precise. I.E., I have a book that was written in the 1860's. The author desribed how birds achieved flight. He was wrong, but the manner in which he wrote his theory was hard to ignore, and even in knowing otherwise today...was very convincing.

I can't think of one book today that equals the written materials as those of the past.

I am not a professional writer, and know I will make mistakes. However, where I am seeing errors, those errors should NOT be where they are.

To me this is a sign of a much deeper problem, and highlights the quote of your signature line, Reactor.

Interesting you mention cats. I was watching a U-Tube video of a Mountain Lion going rounds with a bear, and then another with a Cougar going at it with a Wolf. House cats were mentioned as being less-than a house dog.

A point was brought up in the comments section, that pound for pound, a house cat would take down any dog. I have two cats, and either one of them, if the same weight and size as our Boxer, would shred the Boxer in no time flat. As a matter of fact, one of the cats accidently got locked in the same room with the Boxer, and they seem to have worked-out "an arrangement", and now they both pretend the other one doesn't exist when they are within proximity of each other.

I believe the fact that the cat used to live in the wilds on its own might have helped a bit. When we first met the cat, she about ripped our ankle's apart until we brought out the bowl of tunafish. Since then the cat has never left and has limited its attacks "on us" to only once in awhile.

I still chuckle about the time when those folks messed with a tiger at a Zoo, and "assumed" the tiger would do nothing. But then, the tiger was able to jump the fence, and hunted each one of them down. I would hope that the event would be a lesson for others to learn from, but probably won't.

I would hope that the event would be a lesson for others to learn from, but probably won't.

theres many lessons to learn from that. i only hope they learn the correct lesson.

how have you been? sorry i dont keep in touch anymore. /ttiforum/images/graemlins/frown.gif

theres many lessons to learn from that. i only hope they learn the correct lesson.

Dis-respect nature, and nature will dis-respect you ?

I doubt anything was learned from the San Francisco Zoo event. Three individuals with minimal critical thinking skills decide it is OK to throw rocks at a Siberian tiger, and that they will not suffer any consequences because they "assumed" it was locked in a cage ?

I can't say how much I'd liked to have seen their reactions when they were standing in line for a burger or hot-dog and turned around to see the enraged Siberian tiger coming at them.

Funny how the headlines of the news claim the tiger was on a bloody rampage, when the big cat honed-in on the individuals who had been throwing the rocks in a crowd of people to attack.

A great U-Tube video would be of that attack with the background music of "We're not going to take it " from Twisted Sister.

how have you been? sorry i dont keep in touch anymore

Still standing, guess that counts for something ? I will say that conversing with you was enjoyable, and is missed, but we all have events that occur that seem to demand our attention.

I was on an expedition out in the wilds, returned home for a few days, then will be headed back out to the site this Friday...probably for the duration of the rest of the summer.

Depends on the weather. The area we are mapping can become sumerged during a heavy downpour, which happened on more than one occasion, but should be drying up for us to continue our work.

I haven't forgotten our project in 2011. Still preparing for that, hope you are still game for that adventure.

As far as the 'climate adaptation'...seems accurate in many ways. Although, if a group of people have remained the same for thousands of years and then get removed from existence by another group, I don't know if climate would apply. And I couldn't say whether or not nature really took a hand in the event or not, merely culling out the dead wood, so to speak.

"A great U-Tube video would be of that attack with the background music of "We're not going to take it " from Twisted Sister."

when you fill the pool up too much, it pours out, and floods. hope im not being too cryptic.

I haven't forgotten our project in 2011. Still preparing for that, hope you are still game for that adventure.

im ready anytime. if you ever need help with anything, just give me a shout.

i feel bad about not keeping in touch as much as i used to, but i feel like right now, i would be a negative influence on you, and thats the last thing i want. you have your own problems to deal with.

i feel bad about not keeping in touch as much as i used to, but i feel like right now, i would be a negative influence on you, and thats the last thing i want. you have your own problems to deal with.

No reason to feel badly about something like that. As far as being a negative influence, not really. I have to take responsibility for my own actions, and any decisions made on my part would be squarely on my shoulders, and nobody elses.

I'm turning 50 real soon, like tomorrow as a matter of fact, and would hope that "some" wisdom comes with age. If it is true that gray hair is a sign of wisdom, got to have alot of wisdom buried within somewhere, because I know that the gray certainly is taking over the playing field.

Looking in the mirror results with the question, " Where in Heavens name did that "old" man come from ? " Of course, my actual thoughts are not as diplomatic as written here. /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

im ready anytime. if you ever need help with anything, just give me a shout.

Appreciate the gesture, thank-you.

when you fill the pool up too much, it pours out, and floods. hope im not being too cryptic.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The question is: When and how will the flood ebb ?

To me this is a sign of a much deeper problem, and highlights the quote of your signature line, Reactor.

Well I will take a look at my signature line. Thanks for pointing it out. There was a time when people cared about being educated. They cared about being well read meaning they read many books. People cared about knowing things. Now days that caring has being taking over by xbox, tv, sports, cheerleading you name it. People now days are more concerned with the services they receive like cable or sat. or their cell phone service or their hobbies or spending money or getting rich. No one cares about being well learned. Excepted maybe for Rainman or Darby. Go out and try to talk to someone about something educational and they will look at you like you are a freak? You talked about de-evolution. Yeah your right. We are de-evolving in a sort of way. Excuse any errors you find in my spelling. I was not raised early part of the 1800's.

One more point. If anyone has looked at American's black budget. Well that is where all the learning is going. But it is all top secret. Knowledge really is power. That is one of the reasons I have had a interest with learning things on my own that was suppose to be off limits. At least from my point of view. And on that note I am thinking about powering up my furnace and my old printer and making metal parts and spitting out circuit boards again and start into some new experiments. Except this time I probably won,t post much about it. No I won,t kill myself. I have been through all this stuff many many times and I am still breathing.

The only errors I received in my spell checker on my signature line was W. Durant and my log in name here at TTI.

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within. W. Durant

I didn't mean to indicate there were any errors in your signature line, only that the quote is rather appropriate to the topic at hand.

I believe that many civilizations were destroyed from exactly that...from within. Rome is a prime example, and it seems to me, and as supported by the comments in the above posts, that we are on the same road.

Sometimes, it becomes hilarious. In doing research on some Native American's, the Anthroplogist's of this particular paper I was reading wrote the following ( keep in mind this paper references a time before the introduction of horses ) :

Transportation:

They got around mostly by canoe and by foot.

Transportation:

They got around mostly by canoe and by foot.

I am guessing nobody else found this statement as hilarious as I. The first thought that hit me was what else was available "for" transportation to the Native Americans ?

The fact that they got around "mostly" by canoe or by foot seems to be a given, and why use mostly ?...keep in mind this was a technical report done by researchers.

I believe they could have done better...but this is only my opinion.

Back