"The future ain't what it used to be."

Roswell & The Transistor

RainmanTime

Timekeeper
I don't usually post on this forum, but thought I would see if I could get some thoughts on this:

1) Alleged UFO crash (and coverup) at Roswell, NM - July 8, 1947 (news article dateline)
2) John Bardeen & Walter Brattain (physicists for Bell Labs) announce development (understanding?) of the transistor - December 16, 1947.
3) Alleged stories of US military secretly giving parts of crashed Roswell UFO to hi-tech companies for study.

Interesting coincidence? All I know is that my Dad worked for Bell Labs back in that year, and he won't tell me anything other than he met Alan Turing that year when he came to Bell Labs.

RMT

Ray, let me ask you, do you think your a UFO?
Creeds saunters into the saloon, spurs a-jingling, and takes a seat at the bar. The dust from his chaps swirls around him as he settles in for a good, stiff drink.

Rains can see there is gonna be trouble, so he quietly pushes the PANIC button on his GR-3 communication device, summoning his Pleidian allies from their upstairs romps with the ladies that frequent such establishments.

After Creeds takes a long draw from his pomegranate milkshake, he starts eyeing the room.

Creeds> Rains my friend, I didn't know you got out of that last situation alive! Come up to the bar and let me buy you a stiff one!

Rains> Not this time, Creeds. Last time we tied one on you broke out the frilly underthings and wanted to give us your own little Victoria Secrets fashion show. I'm just not into the male form as much as you are.

Creeds> You are really losing your sense of fun and adventure, aren't you Rains my friend?

At that moment, 10 large, ugly Pleidians enter the main saloon from the upstairs corridor, the last one desperately trying to pull up his britches and wipe his mouth at the same time.

Creeds> I didn't know they called the National Guard in for this one, Rains! What's the plan?

Rains> The plan, as it were, Creeds is to make sure you stay out of the ladies' underwear boudior upstairs! And my associates here know all of your ticklish spots, so you'd better finish your milkshake or it will be running out of your nose.

Creeds> Drats! When my mother hears about this, I am gonna get in BIG trouble.

RMT

Hi Einstein,

Thanks for the links. They have helped me whittle away at some things. I'm hoping you are being tongue-in-cheek about the transfer capacitor stuff. While the story told by Jack Shulman sounds interesting, immediate red flags were raised when all the conspiracy language started showing up along with so many claims that, essentially, are intended to make himself look like a highly advanced physicist. So I have started to look into Jack Shulman and American Computer Company a bit. So far, here is what I found:

1) I called my father who, as I have mentioned before, worked for AT&T Bell Labs from the mid 40s onward. He has never heard of a Jack Shulman, nor does he recall the name from any of his positions at AT&T from the mid 40s until he retired in the early 80s.
2) In one of the links you gave (or follow-on links from it) I saw Mr. Shulman talking about how Nike-Ajax missiles were "protecting" Bell Labs. While it may be true (it is certainly a major location for a lot of US brainpower), there is another reason such missles were there. My father actually worked on the Nike guidance system (for Bell Labs) in the early 50s. He shared this with me as it was public knowledge that Bell Labs had this contract. In fact, Wikipedia has a pretty decent summary of the project.
3) I found the following website which has quite a good, scientific assessment of Mr. Jack Shulman and his scientific viability. This website alone pokes enough holes in Mr. Shulman's story to make me leave anything he says behind:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/9587/

4) It is interesting we seem to have not heard much (if anything) from Mr. Shulman, or the wild claims of the American Computer Company's "transcapacitor" since around 2000. Perhaps the scam has run its course and there are no more people to siphon $ from? In any event the American Computer Company <a href="http://www.american-computer.com/" target="_blank">website</a> appears to have nothing unusual on it, and certainly nothing about an advanced "transfer capacitor".

Now..I should say that this does not mean I fully forego my thoughts on the possible link between Roswell and the development of the transistor in 1947. All I am saying is that Jack Shulman is a con man, and whatever stories he tells in relation to this potential connection are highly tenuous and probably not a good idea to believe.

I just wish my Dad would talk more about it. I get the feeling there are security clearance issues preventing him from doing so, but he won't even confirm or deny that (which is usually a good sign that this is the case).

RMT

RMT

I've been downloading stuff about the transfer capacitor for years. I even have somewhere on my hard drive exactly how it works and what elements are used in its manufacture. What is interesting to me is that American Computer no longer posts all this information on its website. They used to have all of the info at their site and you could go there and read about the Roswell conection and also how American Computer came across the transfer capacitor. I do not know if this information is true or not. But I am very curious as to why the info is no longer at the American Computer site.

I did come across some info a couple of years ago claiming that American Computer was making some very fast computers for the military. I don't know if that is true either. But there would be a paper trail if the statement has any validity.

What I remember from way back when I first came across the transfer capacitor was that they could use the device to make solid state computer hard drives. And they could make them extremely compact. Now just last month I picked up a really nice digital camera with memory card included. The memory card has a 1 GB storage capacity. The memory card is not much bigger than the size of a quarter. Now you know how I like to connect the dots. The solid state hard drives that American Computer was talking about years ago which seemed like science fiction at the time now appear to be commercially available to the consumer in the form of memory cards.

Hi Einstein,
I even have somewhere on my hard drive exactly how it works and what elements are used in its manufacture.
If it really is "exactly" how it works, I'd be interested in seeing it. Because the descriptions I've seen from Mr. Shulman on the web do not even use correct engineering terminology for basic quantities. For example, someone who refers to 80 million volts as a lot of power is clearly not as technically capable as they might want you to think. You and I both know that 80MV could be an average amount of power if the current is in the milliamp to picoamp range.

What I remember from way back when I first came across the transfer capacitor was that they could use the device to make solid state computer hard drives. And they could make them extremely compact. Now just last month I picked up a really nice digital camera with memory card included. The memory card has a 1 GB storage capacity. The memory card is not much bigger than the size of a quarter. Now you know how I like to connect the dots. The solid state hard drives that American Computer was talking about years ago which seemed like science fiction at the time now appear to be commercially available to the consumer in the form of memory cards.
C'mon Einstein, you're smart enough not to fall for this! I am certain you know about Moore's Law, and that it has been predicting the doubling of transistor densities on monolithic chips since the early 1970s. Increasing data densities is something we have known about, and been working since that time. Increases in processor speeds are a direct result of that, and Bill Gates didn't need some mythical device back in the early 90s to predict what we have today in his book "The Road Ahead". The simplest answer is that this person saw the writing on the wall (and in Gates' book)
and "invented" the transcapacitor as a self-fulfilling prophecy as a means to try to gain some publicity.

I think we both know that if such a thing was possible or did exist, it would be patented right away, because in today's technology world you cannot take the risk of someone else stealing your technology, patenting it themselves, and closing you out of the dough. If Mr. Shulman actually DID have such a device, and he actually IS as smart as he wants you to believe, then he would have a patent for the device and he could point you to that patent, and hold his hand out for cash if anyone else dared to make/sell them.

RMT

I even have somewhere on my hard drive exactly how it works and what elements are used in its manufacture.
Could this be it?

"The first device discovered by a member of the Consortium, the TCAP, was constructed by assembling a matrix of periphide - alkane - silicon - silver - alumina (in a halide gas bathing apparatus) to tolerances of .25 micrometer.

The device accepts at an exciter contact, a high wavelength frequency, low voltage signal which, by adding a free electron to weakly bonded dielectric metal insulator junctions, thereby alters the bond species of a fixed number of molecules within the junction, from insulator to metal and, upon release, vice versa, sinking the tunneling electrons into a delay line for recycling into the device. After converting the electron into a polaron, the energy absorbed by the weakly bonded material changes orbit of the existing bond, resulting in a variable number of conductive paths, which can be counted by the 'accumulator' contact and stored in auxiliary circuitry."

This is utter claptrap, and hogwash. It says nothing. And the first indication that it is hogwash is the term "high wavelength frequency". One must ask "which one is it? High wavelength or high frequency?" Because as we all know, one is the inverse of the other. So if you have a high wavelength, then you end up with a low frequency... and vice versa.
But then we encounter the "polaron". Gee, these guys are SO high-tech that they have even invented a new particle that no one else knows about. /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RMT

RMT

But then we encounter the "polaron". Gee, these guys are SO high-tech that they have even invented a new particle that no one else knows about.

I'll agree with you here. It does appear you have found the same data that I have stored on my hard drive. But I just did a search on Google and came up with the following link for Polaron.

Polaron

But as to calling his interpretation claptrap and hogwash? I might say that maybe the interpretation needs more clarification. I have read the descriptions of many many electronic devices and have noted myself that many of the interpretaions do not abide by the laws of physics as we know it. I just look at it as an attempt to describe how something works to give the engineeer something to use in the engineering process. I use descriptions like these to design experimental electronic circuits. Not all descriptions are entirely adequate. Sometimes I find something out about an electronic component that just isn't predicted or expected. So I do try and understand something using the given explanation first.

Here is another transitor link:

Transistor

Shulman again. But he gives out some info about companies he sent Transcap devices to. I would be interested to know if any of the mentioned companies could corroborate his claims.

RMT

I punched in silver alkane semiconductor in a Google search and came up with this interesting link.

Electron Experiment

What I found interesting was the time scales they were using. 1000 femtoseconds. I do believe that is terahertz speed.

Hi Einstein,

But I just did a search on Google and came up with the following link for Polaron.
OK, well I will have to agree that you got me here. It is a defined term, although it does not appear in very many physics textbooks as yet. However, it is still my belief that we are dealing with a person using terms that they know little to nothing about. My comment on the blatant misuse of wavelength and frequency together still stands, and is something very fundamental that even a sophomore undergrad in science or engineering should know is incorrect. However, we can also see evidence for misuse of terms with the polaron when you examine the definition link you provided, along with another one HERE. The points I make with regard to these definitions are the following:

1) The link you provided clearly states that the polaron is comprised of the electron itself plus the surrounding lattice deformation.
2) The link I provide above reaffirms this by calling it a "quasi-particle formed of a charge plus a location distortion that follows it."

So, similar to their abuse of wavelength and frequency, it is my belief that we are also seeing an abuse of the terms when they say that the electron is converted into a polaron. Based on what I read in the link I provided, and the little I know about electrons in a charged lattice, you do not "convert" an electron into a polaron. Rather, it would appear to me, that a polaron is simply a name for the overall effect caused by an electron being immersed in a charged lattice. In other words, a polaron always exists under such a condition, because the electron is always deforming the lattice around it. This is why I claim they are abusing the term, likely because they do not understand it, just as they exhibit with the words "a high wavelength frequency".

I punched in silver alkane semiconductor in a Google search and came up with this interesting link.
I think you need to update the link, as the link you provided here is the same one that you provided for the transistor in the earlier post. More of the UFO stuff from Mr. Shulman. Furthermore, I never claimed alkanes and research about how they interact with semiconductors are not "real". In fact, a little research shows that Lawrence-Berkeley labs have, indeed, been doing some work with them. But given the tenuous nature of Mr. Shulman's claims, I would ask which of the following is more likely to be true:

1) Mr. Shulman (via his purported lab notebooks) discovered the magic of alkane doping of semiconductors before anyone else did.... or
2) Lawrence-Berkeley labs were doing the research, and when Mr. Shulman began to put his story together he used their research and some of their findings to make his story sound more plausible.

I would say, based on nothing more than the sloppy use of basic scientific terms exhibited in the description of how the TCAP works, that #2 is more likely. Someone with the level of knowledge to supposedly make stuff like this work would certainly not confuse wavelength and frequency! For as I say, this is very basic stuff. Just like knowing power is measured as voltsXamps, not just volts!

RMT

RMT

You will have to admit that Shulman does take credit. I would be interested in seeing if anyone else takes credit as well. I found another link that does suggest the transfer capacitor is real.

http://compamerica.com/contact.html

Whether or not Shulmans story pans out, really doesn't matter. The transfer capacitor is mentioned in this link, and these people are taking credit for its development.

Hi Einstein,

You will have to admit that Shulman does take credit.
Exactly, but in my mind that is actually the problem...not a good thing! He takes credit with:

1) No objective evidence whatsoever (rumor and innuendo rule his proclamations)
2) Inferring he is on the cutting edge by merely referring to other people's research as if it validates what he is claiming.
3) A very high degree of arrogance and rudeness to anyone who points out his basic errors.
4) Hiding behind various "software avatars" that are clearly the same person (with the same rudeness and lack of scientific knowledge) as posts written by Mr. Shulman.
4) And finally a demonstrated lack of knowledge about some very basic concepts of science and engineering. For that matter, has anyone, ever seen documented proof that this guy has a degree in physics, much less a Ph.D? I haven't seen it.

Did you read that entire geocities link I provided wherein the author of that page accurately pointed out Mr. Shulman's errors in very basic scientific concepts? If not, I think you should read through the whole thing. In my view, when you get that caustic combination of arrogance, extreme rudeness towards people who don't buy his story, and clear mistakes in basic concepts, you have a very high probability of the person being a crank. Here are some examples from that site:

1) "The statement about it requiring an "exciter current of 2.2 vdc" doesn't make any sense because current is not measured in Volts - it's measure in Amps. "
2) "a) electrical current is measured in 'amps' not 'volts' (WRONG, MORON! Electrical current is measured in amps AND volts...)" - Note the supreme rudeness about something that he is clearly wrong about!
3) If you look towards the end of this page, you will see that the research scientist at Lawrence-Berkely Labs who was doing alkane-silver research was contacted, and he stated he had no knowledge about Mr. Shulman or his claims.

Einstein, I think you and I both agree that Titor was a fake. But he was a fairly "good" fake. This guy Shulman is not only verifiably wrong in so many basics of electrical/electronic theory, but his overt rudeness is a sure tell-tale sign that he has nothing "real" to offer. By the way, the "compamerica.com" site you posted is just another one of the many sites owned by ACC. When you do a "WHOIS" on any of these sites they all point to the same domain owner and the same address in NJ. After all these years of claims, why no verifiable product? In one update the geocities page the author reported that Mr. Shulman was actually making claims of shipping laptops with transcapacitors installed. Where's the evidence? If he did, then anyone should be able to take apart the machine, find his precious part, and verify its operation. Instead, the whole thing has gone silent. Now you could assume it has done so because of "government suppression" but that is jumping to conclusions without evidence.

I am still interested in the potential link between Roswell and the AT&T transistor development, but I must say that nothing about Shulman's wild stories convince me of the link. However, I'll be spending Xmas Eve and Day with my folks, and I plan on grilling my dad a whole lot more about what went on at Bell Labs when he was there!

RMT

Back