"The future ain't what it used to be."

Entropy, Runes and Tarot cards....

spectrumisgreen

Timekeeper
Not sure if this is the right discussion group for this but seemed the most suitable (mods please feel free to move).... so here goes....

With more than a nod to Paul mc's Time travel/entropy thread.....

Are Ancient Runes, bone reading, tea leaf reading and Tarot cards all a form of entropy? and therefore truly are a way of seeing the future?

Could a true random event generator be used to see all possible time lines and then select the most probable outcome.......

I'm thinking rice and lottery numbers mixed in a jar and tipped out.......

Am I completely Barking or on to something? (oh and if anyone nicks and tries my idea before I do and wins the lottery I expect a substantial cut)

Thoughts and discussion please ;)

Well they are a form of entropy. Yes.
But entropy means from order into chaos.
So how would a random system give you information?

One key part in my theory was the 'quantum suicide' thought experiment.

For example suppose you were to make a prediction and if that prediction was correct then you would receive a prize.
if the prediction was incorrect then you received a electric shock.

(This reminds me of the beginning of the movie Ghost busters.)

If the electric shock was large enough to mean certain death, then 'quantum suicide' and the many worlds interpretation may come into effect. From the perspective of the person being tested, that person may get it right every time.

If the theory is correct then that person would have complete control over his reality.
If it's incorrect then it would be one hell of a murder trial.

I suppose my rice and lotto numbers scenario is a little like the infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters theory and if I shook enough jars and put on enough lines (money permitting) I would win......

Yes?

I suppose my rice and lotto numbers scenario is a little like the infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters theory and if I shook enough jars and put on enough lines (money permitting) I would win......

Yes?

If you randomly picked numbers and bought enough lottery tickets you would win.
But that's just chance.

If you randomly picked numbers and bought enough lottery tickets you would win.
But that's just chance.

But back to using it once per draw..... it would be a truly random selection that might select the correct numbers in our particular time line... rather than me concentrating hard trying to generate random numbers in my head....... which could could have pre-cognotive implications and that don't work either:(

So all I have got to lose is.... the stake money, the price of a bag of rice and my wife thinking I have now totally lost the plot.....

Well random is random. Are you in the UK? is this the national lottery you are talking about?

Yes I am in the U.K..... So National lottery or Euromillions.... but my thoughts were just generally about using a physical (opposed to computer logarithms) random number generator to create numbers for a game that also uses a physical random generator. So my 'theory' (The word theory is used in the loosest sense of the word and could be interchanged with crack-pot idea) could be applied anywhere in the world

I suppose what I'm asking is would (or should) my rice jar idea be more or less successful than picking a lucky dip on U.K National lottery

I suppose what I'm asking is would (or should) my rice jar idea be more or less successful than picking a lucky dip on U.K National lottery

As far as I understand, there would be no difference between a computer generated "lucky-dip" and you physically shaking a rice jar (containing the numbers). Both methods rely on "chance".

As far as I understand, there would be no difference between a computer generated "lucky-dip" and you physically shaking a rice jar (containing the numbers). Both methods rely on "chance".

Don't know if its still true, but in the early days of home computers it was said that a computer could not generate a truly random sequence (infinitesimally close to random but not actually random) would this very slight virtual leaning be in chances favour or against it

Okay so I have tried this system on tonight's Euromillions using 2 jars of rice - 1 for main 5 numbers and 1 for the Lucky stars..... I threw the rice and numbers mix 'craps dice' style in a plastic container and picked out the numbers nearest the end of the box. And repeated it again using 1 jar for tomorrow's UK Lottery draw....

The results are certainly strange the results are meant to be totally random (the jars were very shaken) but significant patterns occurred in each set of numbers (no I'm not going to tell you what they are!)

So we will see what happens - here's to Entropy

(And no I didn't have anything better to do)

Sorry if my posts on this seem a bit strange but most were answers to someone who seems to have left the site and took all his posts off:rolleyes: so now It seems I was just have a very random (nothing new there really) conversation with myself

Sorry if my posts on this seem a bit strange but most were answers to someone who seems to have left the site and took all his posts off:rolleyes: so now It seems I was just have a very random (nothing new there really) conversation with myself

Restored them. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Deleting posts is anti-social. Luckily our forum software allows us to see them after they are deleted and restore them. ;)

RMT

Surely twice is not enough of a sample to determine any patterns? Just saying....

What I meant was patterns in the numbers themselves the first set of numbers for euromillions.... the main set of 5 numbers seemed to include 3 multiples of 9 and the 2 lucky stars included 9.... and..... no that set didn't work last night....

the 2nd set of 6 numbers for UK lottery tonight included 3 numbers that skipped 1 number between them.... when I looked at them they didn't seem as random as I thought they would.....

Back