"The future ain't what it used to be."

11/22/63

Cosmo

Owner
Staff member
Timekeeper
This thread is for discussion of the book "11/22/63", by Stephen King.

A time-traveling English teacher attempts to prevent JFK's assassination, navigating the complexities of love, history, and the consequences of altering the past.

Read full entry

11/22/63 is a book I can never really get enough of. It's epic in length, but I find myself re-reading this every few months. I'm not even a particularly big fan of Stephen King, but this is just so well constructed and delivered.

The protagonist, Jake Epping, is portrayed as an ordinary English teacher, and someone that resonated with me. As Jake is transported back in time, I felt as though I was embarking on this journey alongside him. This immersive storytelling technique allows the reader to experience the events, sights, and sounds of the 1950s and 60s as if through their own eyes and thoughts. It feels personal and lived-in.

While the novel contains the signature Stephen King elements, such as gruesome attacks and vividly detailed scenes of carnage, these aspects feel like a backdrop to the central narrative. They contribute to the atmosphere and tension, but the core of the story lies in the time-traveling adventures and the exploration of historical events, making it distinct from other horror-centered works. It's refreshingly different.

I like the concept of the Yellow Card Man. Although the explanation behind this character feels somewhat ambiguous, this mystery adds a substantial layer of depth to the plot. It provokes questions and curiosity, and kept me engaged and invested in unraveling the enigma. This mystery serves to heighten the suspense, especially as the plot reaches its climax.

Even for those who have not previously found Stephen King's works to their taste, I think 11/22/63 is universally appealing novel. Its unique narrative style, engaging plot, and thought-provoking themes make it a fantastic read, showcasing a different facet of King’s literary talent. It leaves the reader yearning for more stories of this caliber, where the focus lies heavily on the idea, complemented by just a touch of horror elements.

Last edited:
Back