"The future ain't what it used to be."

Cats tell future?

chronovisor

Timekeeper
A few years ago, I was at my folks' house while they were out for the evening. They would usually get home around the same time, and their cat would usually jump up on the table and "wait" to greet them a few minutes before that time.

On one occasion, when the cat appeared, I looked at the clock and realized it was about an hour later than their usual time, but the cat somehow still knew. It was close to ten minutes between the time the cat would jump on the table and the time they'd arrive.

Now, chalk it up to the cat just having super-sensitive smelling or hearing, but 7 or 8 minutes, travelling at highway speeds in a car...this puts them miles away, and I thought there was no way the cat could have known they were coming unless it had some sort of...well, extrasensory data coming in somehow.

With that in mind, I naturally want to bring my cat to Vegas so it can pick winners for me. But seriously, what are your thoughts on cat's (or any animal's) ability to "sense" things? It seems to be pretty well-documented that they are portents of storms, earthquakes, natural disasters, etc. Could we harness this power for our own selfish gain? Would knowing the near future change it in this case, or in any case?

A few years ago, I was at my folks' house while they were out for the evening. They would usually get home around the same time, and their cat would usually jump up on the table and "wait" to greet them a few minutes before that time.

On one occasion, when the cat appeared, I looked at the clock and realized it was about an hour later than their usual time, but the cat somehow still knew. It was close to ten minutes between the time the cat would jump on the table and the time they'd arrive.

Now, chalk it up to the cat just having super-sensitive smelling or hearing, but 7 or 8 minutes, travelling at highway speeds in a car...this puts them miles away, and I thought there was no way the cat could have known they were coming unless it had some sort of...well, extrasensory data coming in somehow.

With that in mind, I naturally want to bring my cat to Vegas so it can pick winners for me. But seriously, what are your thoughts on cat's (or any animal's) ability to "sense" things? It seems to be pretty well-documented that they are portents of storms, earthquakes, natural disasters, etc. Could we harness this power for our own selfish gain? Would knowing the near future change it in this case, or in any case?

What did your cat "tell you" that would help you predict a turn of card or roll on a roulette wheels? Nothing. I'm a wildlife rehabber and right now I have a skunk siting my lap. In fact around the property we are rehabbing 30 mephitis mephitis critters. They know what time dinner is. They know when it is late. Cats know the same thing. It's not ESP its stomach growls. Late for dinner is late for dinner.

In one paragraph you state mom and dad were an hour late but when you make the proposition you refer to "7-8 minutes". Not the same. Does wildlife have better sensory organs that humans such that they can feel or sense changes in the enviornment that we can't? Yes. But their minds don't busy themselves contemplating nuclear physics, quantum physics, time travel or anything of the sort. They contemplate survival, dinner, protection, safety, reproduction and (if domesticated or even semi-domesticated) the alpha male/female (humans) that protect them. In their own way they give and feel love. But we don't take that too far. If they are startled they will take the hand (or if too small de-glove the thumb) that feeds them. If they are feeding and you get your fingers in the way they will take them off. I know it well. Though I have all my fingers I have enough scars on my hands to remind me that my "children" are still wild animals. And over 20+ years I've rehabbed skunks, badgers, weasels, deer, coyotes, racoons and opossums. My wife has been at it all her life which means she has also rehabbed mountain lions, including one of the cubs from the old Lincoln-Mercury commercial brude. Chuck Willcox, a retired stuntman and a friend of mine, rehabbed another cub from the same brude and Jane Brolin, actor James Brolin's late wife, a friend of my wife, rehabbed "the" mountain lion from the commercials. All same-same. No ESP - just clear minds and better smellers and whiskers than we humans. How the "disappointment" of a late dinner works out to depends on how late and how big the teeth and claws are, and how the handler decides to resolve the problem.

Back in the 90's My wife used to collect me, or meet me at work in London. She never worked set hours, and would randomly call in at work from anytime from about 2-7pm. She never bothered to phone unless she had a special reason- so would usually turn up unannounced, as she knew where I would be.

Back then, I had a Dog, she was an amazing little girl- she always knew that my wife was on her way- she would sit by the door waiting for her.

This would range from say 20- 40 mins before my wife would arrive.

Her average drive time across south London was about 20-40 mins depending on the traffic!!!

This happened constantly for over three years. Then, as my Dog got older- this "sense" dissapeared? and almost overnight. Either it stopped working, or she stopped using it- I just don't know.
She would never sit by the door at other times. It was quite strange.

I shall never forget that Dog, she was quite incredible, much cleverer than any other Dog I have owned, or have met by a very long stretch.
Even from a very young age- I only had to tell her how to do something just once- and she grasped it, and was amazingly reliable. Her intelligence was outstanding. Her understanding of words went in to the hundreds, possibly almost limitless- I dunno.
She was a very special Dog for certain.

All the best,
Dave

Then, as my Dog got older- this "sense" dissapeared? and almost overnight.

Yep. I feel you, Dave.

Unfortunately our "children" (our pet companions/family members) have the same thing happen to them as eventually happens to us. As they grow into old age they experience all of the same problems of advanced age that we experience. Loss of memory, senility, stroke, coronary heart disease, arthritis - all of it.

Back