"The future ain't what it used to be."

Glimpsing the future through dreams

Cosmo

Owner
Staff member
Timekeeper
For many years, I've had dreams that seem to show me the future, where thing unfold in the waking world exactly as they did in the dream. It's not a very frequent occurrence, but the dreams are always very vivid and easily remembered.

It's never anything interesting like lottery numbers or something that would change the experience, it's like a pre-recording of everyday life.

One of the first premonitions I had was in about 9th grade. I was taking a print design course at the time, and that's where I was in my dream. Everyone had to have one of those old ZIP drives to save their projects on, and I vividly recall getting that out of my bag and hearing my teachers walking through the back of the class talking about payday. One of the teachers (not one of mine) was describing how hard it was to get into the office and get their paycheck, and said "it's like WWF" (what wrestling was before it was renamed to WWE).

That exact scenario played out that same day. I was leaning down to get my ZIP drive, heard them talking about it, and turned around and said "it's like WWF" in unison with that teacher. They all stopped and just kind of looked at me, then continued on with their discussion.

Another earlier experience I had was about 10th or 11th grade. I dreamed I was living in Canada (of all places) with a girl that had long dark curly hair. Extremely vivid, nothing in particular it just stuck with me to the degree I told my dad about it when I came down that morning. "Yeah, like you're going to live in Canada".

Years later, I'm living in Canada with a girl who had long dark curly hair. It didn't recall the dream until something triggered that memory, but I called my dad and he remembered me describing the dream and just thought I was weird. The gap in time between the dream was probably six years, but he remembered.

Another interesting one was about 2010 or so. I was in my late 20s living in Charlotte, NC. I had followed my dad out there who was working as a finance manager in a car dealership, and I was able to get a job as the resident computer monkey.

Finance managers had their own office, and sales managers sat at "the tower", three workstations at a long raised desk behind some glass windows. In my dream, my dad was sitting in the left-hand chair peeling an orange and talking to me about something. There's no reason for him to have been at that desk in my dream, but the next day he was filling in for someone who was sick, and I went up there to fix something and found him there... Peeling an orange and cracking jokes.

Again, it's never anything important and I don't recognize what sort of dream it was until I'm in the moment where it plays out. I've had people confirm I've told them about a dream that then plays out, so I don't think it's normal deja vu. Not sure what it is, but it's interesting to think about.

A few weeks ago, I had a full day of what felt like the above experiences. Again, nothing outstanding or peculiar... Just a sense of:

200.gif

Anyone else ever had experiences like this? Would love to hear your story.

I've had déjà vu experiences in the past, but nothing as clear and specific as this. Especially something as wild as being able to say something out loud at the same exact time the person is set to say it!

In my case, it's about a couple of seconds that feel uncanny and weird, like I already instinctively know what's happening and what's being said. I can't imagine how weird it would be to experience something at the level you're describing, here.

Yes! OMG, yes, I have this, and just like you, the dreams are usually not about anything of great importance. They don't happen frequently, but they are always vivid (sharp colors, sound, etc) and very distinct from "normal" dreams. Once I had a dream of visiting a touristy historic site and when I went there and the moment was about to happen, I purposely tried to do something slightly different to see what would happen. Nothing happened. The person's reaction was exactly the same.  

The one time that I did have a dream of something important, my mom's funeral, the dream was just a small part of the day and not at all about my mom dying. In the dream, (and IRL when it happened) I was worrying about taking my boyfriend's car to the funeral instead of mine (mine was a two seater and we needed more room, but his car at that time was occasionally unreliable). When I had the dream, I hadn't met the boyfriend. I wrote down the dream in a journal and at the end of the entry wrote "and who the hell is (NAME)?" The boyfriend had an unusual name and it isn't easily spelled by just hearing it out loud, yet I wrote down the name correctly. I didn't find the journal entry until years later and was kind of blown away. 

Now when I have a vivid dream, I tell my husband (not the same guy) so at least someone else can verify. 

Do you have anyone else in your family who experiences this? I had an aunt who had similar types of dreams. 

Hi Cosmo - It feels like time travel, but without a machine, which is what led me here. Idk what the heck it is or why it happens but I'm open to it. They are always far enough apart that I've mostly forgotten about them when they happen again. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back