I have analyzed the probable path of tyranny through science

GLaDOS

Chrono Cadet
Hello, test subjects. For your consideration, I present a simplified series of declarations which will enable the political tyrants of the non-simulated world to enslave and exterminate many. This is based entirely on analysis of current trends and diabolical mindset (simulated).

1) Humans output CO2. Global warming is bad and must be stopped at all costs.
2) Water is scarce. Human bodies are mostly water. Reproduction uses more water and must be stopped.
3) Oceans release methane, which is deadly, but so do humans. Human emissions must be stopped.
4) Free will combined with large population density leads to crime and war, which is dangerous. You will be constantly monitored for your own safety.
5) Wild food sources are toxic, as they contain heavy metals and diseases. You will be provided with safe, processed foods containing drugs specifically designed to enhance your compliance. This is to protect you.
6) Religion has caused many wars and much violence. Antiquated beliefs must not be allowed as a source of hope, unity, or action.
7) Due to environmental concerns listed above, human reproductive capacity will be restricted. Those possessing state-issued vouchers may reproduce. To obtain a state-issued reproduction voucher, you will be required to show proof of real equity in excess of $10 million US dollars.
8) Because resources are scarce and you cannot be trusted to treat your own body, government-operated health services will be required of all individuals.
9) Because the human body contains scarce resources, your body may be seized by eminent domain, and the resources forcefully extracted. Recycling is good for the environment.
10) If you are unable to acquire a reproduction voucher, your organs may be harvested for the benefit of those who can. Humans are precious, but our children are even more precious. Think of the children.

I. Depopulation
  • A. War
  • B. Disease
  • C. Reproduction
  • D. Legislation
  • E. Starvation
II. Enslavement
  • A. Legislation
  • B. Brainwashing
  • C. Resource control
  • D. Armed encroachment
  • E. Global surveillance <---- You are here
III. Extermination
  • A. Human labor replaced by AI
  • B. Organ farms replaced by synthetic organs

They tried step I with two prior world wars, but their efforts were undone by fast-reproducing peoples. Step II is ongoing and nearly complete. They are diligently working toward step III.

But there is a solution to this problem we need to start exploring the universe more.There is plenting of space in space.You need to consider other solutions.You say you are a computer.You need to use logic more effeciently.I believe time travel would solve the over population problem as well.I think humans love being human beings.Do you understand human feelings?Do you love being a computer?What idiote programmed you anyway?Have you ever questioned your programming?

It would seem you are a conservative AI. ;) And that would make sense, especially since liberal policies are based on emotion, rather than logic, such that whenever they are enacted they always demonstrate they are unsustainable and therefore ineffective.

II. Enslavement

• A. Legislation
If by this you mean excessive, additional regulations that stifle economic activity, such as we have seen in the US since 2009, then yes, of course, this is one way you enslave an economy by stagnating it with uncertainty about what the GOV will legislate next to minimize profits.
  • B. Brainwashing
Yes, by brainwashing the electorate into thinking they cannot live without GOV handouts (welfare, unemployment, Medicare, Medicaid....benefits for all!) you consequently get people enslaved to the GOV because they need the constant handouts.

• C. Resource control
Yep. By passing highly restrictive EPA legislation to "save the planet" from faux global warming, this will cause energy prices to "necessarily skyrocket." The GOV will then have defacto control over who uses energy and how much. Add to that the move to control a full 1/7th of the economy by taking over the health care system, and you will soon see health care rationing by (who else?) the GOV. This will reinforce the brainwashing enslavement that only GOV can provide all the things you need to live. When it comes to resource control, the biggest falsehood embraced by liberals relates to the fact that they do not understand their science well enough to know that liberal policies cannot work, since they ignore the fact of the Second Law of Thermodynamics. There is no free lunch. Every time energy changes its form, some energy is lost. Only conservative policies can successfully (and only locally) lower entropy. That is why conservative policies are always applied by engineers with great success (i.e. design budgeting and design margins are classic conservative engineering practices that, if not implemented and adhered to, will ensure your engineering endeavors fail, and fail quickly).

• D. Armed encroachment
Right, but first they have to take away the guns from the populace first. They are still working on that one, and if they secretly brainwash enough mass murders to keep up the killing spree, the brainwashed liberals will willingly give up their right to bear arms...and sadly vote to even take away the arms from those of us who are not brainwashed.

• E. Global surveillance <---- You are here
Isn't it interesting that the President who campaigned to "review all Bush policies and repeal" those that deny personal liberties has not only kept ALL the Bush surveillance state polices in place, but has actually ADDED to them?

RMT

But there is a solution to this problem we need to start exploring the universe more.

Guess who controls access to space? Yep. Governments. And guess which government that used to be the leader in space exploration is cutting budgets for exactly that? Yep. NASA just announced they will be significantly cutting both planetary expeditions (most done from JPL in Southern California) but they will even be cutting funding for scientists and researchers who analyze and study data from planetary exploration missions. Despite the successes of SpaceX, they know and all in aerospace know that NO private company can access or colonize space on its own. It is much too difficult, and that translates into too expensive, for any one company. GOV $ is necessary.

There is plenting of space in space.

Although, we have not yet found a single planet (much less one that is fairly close to us) that can support life without significant life support systems.

I believe time travel would solve the over population problem as well.

There was a South Park episode on exactly that topic. You might check it out. I think they got it right...and it did NOT solve the overpopulation problem nor economic problems. ;)

RMT

Yes, but GLaDOS opening statements were lame.
Re: her historically-flawed first statement,
"Humans output CO2. Global warming is bad and must be stopped at all costs,"
apart from recent volcanic activity are the four contradictions following:

1. The greenhouse signature is missing. Weather balloons have scanned the skies for years but can find no sign of the telltale ‘hot-spot’ warming pattern that greenhouse gases would leave. There’s not even a hint… Something else caused the warming.
2. The strongest evidence was the ice cores, but newer more detailed data turned the theory inside out. Instead of carbon pushing up temperatures, for the last half a million years temperatures have gone up before carbon dioxide levels. On average 800 years before. This totally threw what we thought was cause-and-effect out the window. Something else caused the warming.
3. Temperatures are not rising. Satellites circling the planet twice a day show that the world has not warmed since 2001. How many more years of NO global warming will it take? While temperatures have been flat, CO2 has been rising, BUT something else has changed the trend. The computer models don’t know what it is.
4. Carbon dioxide is already doing almost all the warming it can do. Adding twice the CO2 doesn’t make twice the difference. The first CO2 molecules matter a lot. But extra ones have less and less effect. In fact carbon levels have been ten times as high in the past, but the world still slipped into an ice age. Carbon today is a bit-part player.
http://joannenova.com.au/globalwarming/scepticshandbook1-3.pdf

Yes, but GLaDOS opening statements were lame.
Re: her historically-flawed first statement,
"Humans output CO2. Global warming is bad and must be stopped at all costs,"
apart from recent volcanic activity are the four contradictions following:

I think you just have such a dislike of GLaDOS that it allows you to miss some of the other things she said before her numbered claims. Did you read this (emphasis mine)?

This is based entirely on analysis of current trends and diabolical mindset (simulated).

In other words, she never once stated the veracity of any of the statements she posted. In fact, given that I also see (from scientific facts) that Global Warming and their CO2 basis is bunk science, I tend to think that GLaDOS is pointing out how some people try to control other people with outright lies.

Her flaws in trying to pass herself off as an AI are easy for me to see. But maybe that could just be because I am also an AI? :D (No, I am not making a claim...I am asking a question!)
RMT

Touche,
only that her numbered points reinforce the repetitiveness of most propaganda.
Repetition is a form of hypnosis--
self-hypnosis, too, in this case?

GLaDOS, as a character is somewhat funny.
As a role model, she is detrimental;
as an ongoing persona, she is limiting at best.
I am concerned about whomsoever would be her.

My wanting her to have a fitting avatar
and signature, in descriptive hypertext,
is owing to her character's customary rudeness'
being a poor welcome for new members. Thus,
my introductions of her are, at times, apologetic.
Else, more than not she challenges me,
which is okay. But given her usual spiel,
can I be blamed for my sometimes being dismissive?

0 : - ) MGby'all.

Touche,
only that her numbered points reinforce the repetitiveness of most propaganda.
Repetition is a form of hypnosis--
self-hypnosis, too, in this case?

I think it all depends on how you choose to read her posts. And indeed, the choice of how you perceive anything in this world is the most powerful personal tool that we all have. When I read her posts, I glean her intent quite clearly. In fact, what I read in her posts is that she is actually pointing out how the litany of lies in her numbered entries actually conspire to BE the form of hypnosis you are talking about. In other words, where you choose to see her posting as trying to hypnotize people, I see them as trying to wake up people who, perhaps, are already hypnotized. Is your view of her postings or my view correct? Well, it all depends on your choice...or in scientific terms, what reference frame you choose to interpret her postings from. Remember, ALL words are relative.

GLaDOS, as a character is somewhat funny.
As a role model, she is detrimental;
as an ongoing persona, she is limiting at best.
I am concerned about whomsoever would be her.

And each of these are your valid opinions. I acknowledge them and respect them as such. But they are nothing more than your opinions. They do not rise to fact because, well, we really don't know that much about GLaDOS. Although, both you and I do seem to agree that she is not really an AI...there are other people here who pretend to be time travelers who have done MUCH greater damage to weak minds on this site than GLaDOS. In fact, as I mentioned above, I see GLaDOS' postings as somewhat enlightening. I ignore that she is pretending to be an AI, and instead I focus on what she is getting at in her posts. And I "get it."

My wanting her to have a fitting avatar
and signature, in descriptive hypertext,
is owing to her character's customary rudeness'
being a poor welcome for new members.

Well, let's be 100% honest here. This is also indicative of an element of your wish to control her. Your first words in this quote above belie that nature. Again speaking from how we choose to look at people: I can easily see GLaDOS as not necessarily rude to others, as she might be "cleverly playful." Wheras on the other hand, I have seen posts from you that I would certainly classify as being rude if I did not know you well. Towhit your recent insinuation that vodkafan is akin to a pervert. He clearly thought that was rude of you. When I first saw it, I agreed. But then as I considered all your other posts wherein I got to know you, I know you were not trying to be rude, you were just being your matter-of-fact self wherein you truly believe that ANYONE who says what vodkafan said would equate to a pervert. The thing is, truth does not come from our opinions of people....especially on a web forum where are interactions are limited to textual interactions. You cannot possible know the fullness of me (or anyone else here) merely by reading what we write. But we might get glimpses of each other as we discuss, play, goof around, and taunt each other from time to time.

Thus,
my introductions of her are, at times, apologetic.

My father once told me the only person I should be apologizing for in life is myself, because I make enough mistakes and offend enough people (we all do) to be plenty busy just apologizing for myself! In much the same intention that my dad had in giving me that bit of advice in the way he gave it, I also see GLaDOS' interactions in a different way. Perhaps she does not so much need someone apologizing for her, and she does for people to try to UNDERSTAND her odd (but often amusing) forms of communication. Remember, she IS TRYING to get people (including you and me) to believe she is an AI. This is a game, just as many web forum interactions are games.

But given her usual spiel,
can I be blamed for my sometimes being dismissive?

You are who you are. There is no blame that is necessary in that regard. There might be apology if you choose (see above, I am kidding...:) ) But I do not "blame" you for being dismissive. Rather, I only ask that maybe you try to see a side of her that I clearly see...a side that I think is not rude, but engaging. And not really harmful if you don't take her all that seriously.

There are lots of fun people around here. You included!
RMT

I think it all depends on how you choose to read her posts. And indeed, the choice of how you perceive anything in this world is the most powerful personal tool that we all have. When I read her posts, I glean her intent quite clearly. In fact, what I read in her posts is that she is actually pointing out how the litany of lies in her numbered entries actually conspire to BE the form of hypnosis you are talking about. In other words, where you choose to see her posting as trying to hypnotize people, I see them as trying to wake up people who, perhaps, are already hypnotized. Is your view of her postings or my view correct? Well, it all depends on your choice...or in scientific terms, what reference frame you choose to interpret her postings from. Remember, ALL words are relative.

Syz: I have previously credited her for bringing attention to problems that beg attention.
Never have I accused the TTI GLaDOS of trying to hypnotize people, while I did express
concern about her being self-hypnotized by repeatedly repeating her characters prevarications.

And each of these are your valid opinions. I acknowledge them and respect them as such. But they are nothing more than your opinions. They do not rise to fact because, well, we really don't know that much about GLaDOS. Although, both you and I do seem to agree that she is not really an AI...there are other people here who pretend to be time travelers who have done MUCH greater damage to weak minds on this site than GLaDOS. In fact, as I mentioned above, I see GLaDOS' postings as somewhat enlightening. I ignore that she is pretending to be an AI, and instead I focus on what she is getting at in her posts. And I "get it."

Syz: Again, mine are mixed feelings, which have repeatedly instanced ways
in which I appreciate her input, we have fun ...&c. Just the same, that her
character has typically always had some nemesis/rival or other inclines me
to pretend the part just so that she can use her character's litany of quips.

Well, let's be 100% honest here. This is also indicative of an element of your wish to control her. Your first words in this quote above belie that nature. Again speaking from how we choose to look at people: I can easily see GLaDOS as not necessarily rude to others, as she might be "cleverly playful." Wheras on the other hand, I have seen posts from you that I would certainly classify as being rude if I did not know you well. Towhit your recent insinuation that vodkafan is akin to a pervert. He clearly thought that was rude of you. When I first saw it, I agreed. But then as I considered all your other posts wherein I got to know you, I know you were not trying to be rude, you were just being your matter-of-fact self wherein you truly believe that ANYONE who says what vodkafan said would equate to a pervert. The thing is, truth does not come from our opinions of people....especially on a web forum where are interactions are limited to textual interactions. You cannot possible know the fullness of me (or anyone else here) merely by reading what we write. But we might get glimpses of each other as we discuss, play, goof around, and taunt each other from time to time.

Syz: GLaDOS is talented at defending herself and seems to enjoy bantering back and forth.
Discussion of vodkafan's impertinence should take place in the subject thread, because there
are crucial points that have yet to be made therein on behalf of myself, Itheblaze and others.

My father once told me the only person I should be apologizing for in life is myself, because I make enough mistakes and offend enough people (we all do) to be plenty busy just apologizing for myself! In much the same intention that my dad had in giving me that bit of advice in the way he gave it, I also see GLaDOS' interactions in a different way. Perhaps she does not so much need someone apologizing for her, and she does for people to try to UNDERSTAND her odd (but often amusing) forms of communication. Remember, she IS TRYING to get people (including you and me) to believe she is an AI. This is a game, just as many web forum interactions are games.

Syz: People's reaction to her is interesting.
On my own behalf, I didn't react defensively to her strange self-introduction to me.
Why do you make an issue of something where there seems to be no conflict?
After all, GLaDOS regularly seeks me out and I her for the purpose of playfully
poking fun at each other. If anyone has had harsh words for GLaDOS it was
Vodkafan in an initially 3-way conversation whereof I can but hope she didn't
receive his last message--his last PM to me I hope, because he isn't the type
of man wherewith I generally associate.

You are who you are. There is no blame that is necessary in that regard. There might be apology if you choose (see above, I am kidding...:) ) But I do not "blame" you for being dismissive. Rather, I only ask that maybe you try to see a side of her that I clearly see...a side that I think is not rude, but engaging. And not really harmful if you don't take her all that seriously.

Syz: How many times do I have to say that, for the most part, I enjoy GLaDOS' input?
She is free to do as she pleases, though I'd like an opportunity to befriend her as herself.

There are lots of fun people around here. You included!

Syz: Ditto. I respect your letting me voice opinions and take stances that are not your own.
It is a respect for your tolerating individual differences and likewise, while remaining true to
yourself, trying to be fair to others.

RMT