LEMV Giant Airship First Flight

RainmanTime

Timekeeper
Well folks, it finally happened:

Army's giant 'unblinking eye' airship makes maiden test flight (with video) | al.com

Yesterday, we had the first flight of the LEMV hybrid airship...manned, of course, as our program plan was to make the first flight manned, and then we ease into doing the unmanned work (which is where my work will come into play).

I have been growing my hair without getting it cut since a few months before we won this contract in June of 2010. I made the vow that I would not cut it until we flew. So on my way home from work today, I stopped off and had my VERY long hair/ponytail cut back to my normal, regulation military cut. It feels weird to have short hair now! :)

Anyway, just thought I would share my little victory in the aerospace world.
RMT

Well done, Rainman,

Is it going to low-orbit space like this?

To say the truth, if you use mobile phone/satellite phone size technology it can cut the unmanned version budget a lot, and they can't see it because it is too small in space. :)

Nope. LEMV won't be going anywhere above 20,000 feet above sea level. There are such things as high altitude airships, but those only even go to about 40,000-50,000 feet. The design problems are just too different to put a surveillance airship up that far and give it enough power to keep it in a given area of the earth.

RMT

Nope. LEMV won't be going anywhere above 20,000 feet above sea level. There are such things as high altitude airships, but those only even go to about 40,000-50,000 feet. The design problems are just too different to put a surveillance airship up that far and give it enough power to keep it in a given area of the earth.

RMT

The power part for low space orbit airship can go with solar panels (the new cloth like panels) on the top half of the airship with charging batteries that last for night time. As long as it is that high in near space there will be plenty of solar power during day time.

But I understand what you mean to keep it in a given area of earth. It could move anywhere and hard to keep stable in the same spot with the earth's orbit, unless the solar sail system is mature enough to control moving directions.