Mill of Hirn.

rembrandt

Temporal Navigator
Took a nice little drive recently, from Mill of Hirn, Aberdeenshire, nice little recording studio there, check the sign as you pass, went north to the B977, turned west at the junction, went along for a bit, then turned south onto a farm road. Lovely little wood at the end of this road, turmed east again back to Mill of Hirn.
The Sun was blazing down all the way. Too bad it was just on streetview. One thing you will notice on that 'drive' is that if you zoom in on your surroundings at any part of the trip, crystal clear clarity is maintained.
Why, you may ask is this the case? First of all, there is actually something to see, unlike the endless trawl through the dusty plains and trailer parks of America.
Secondly, I suspect that one of the guys in charge of the project was originally from this part of the world. If you look at the streetview map, you will see that the Aberdeenshire area is very over represented in the U.K. section.
Pleasant drive, though.

First of all, there is actually something to see, unlike the endless trawl through the dusty plains and trailer parks of America.

Clearly, you have not seen near enough of the USA, much less the greater Americas, to say something like that. I guess you must have taken the two-bit tour. /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Although I like New Zealand the best...
RMT

You can't gainsay that one part of the great plains looks very much like another. Maybe this was where deja vu was invented, probably by some weary French pioneers in creaky ox drawn wagons.

Took a nice little drive recently, from Mill of Hirn, Aberdeenshire, nice little recording studio there, check the sign as you pass, went north to the B977, turned west at the junction, went along for a bit, then turned south onto a farm road. Lovely little wood at the end of this road, turmed east again back to Mill of Hirn.
The Sun was blazing down all the way. Too bad it was just on streetview. One thing you will notice on that 'drive' is that if you zoom in on your surroundings at any part of the trip, crystal clear clarity is maintained.
Why, you may ask is this the case? First of all, there is actually something to see, unlike the endless trawl through the dusty plains and trailer parks of America.
Secondly, I suspect that one of the guys in charge of the project was originally from this part of the world. If you look at the streetview map, you will see that the Aberdeenshire area is very over represented in the U.K. section.
Pleasant drive, though.

Well your on my turf now. I have seen all of America except for Alaska, Vermont, and Hawaii. I will ensure you America is very far much more than dusty plains and trailer parks. I am pretty sure you have not traveled America at all what so ever. I would recommend between Colorado, new Mexico and Arizona. Get off on the US highways don,t take the big roads. The view and the scenery is rather good. Ever seen a small round mountain that shoots straight up into the sky? Colorado is pretty. Mountains, snow, some agicultare. Some good hunting. Organ is very pretty. The trees there are bigger than the trees where I live in Arkansas. Very pretty state. California yes rainman I use to go there very often in fact at least once a week it has its own sights. LA I hated the traffic on the weekend with a lot of people going to gamble in Las Vegas. I met some very pretty women on the freeway and talked to them during the traffic jams. I drove up the highway if I am not mistaken 101 or something like that by the coast. Seattle Washington was very pretty. Montana I did not like during the winter as I did not like Nebraska and Wyoming because of the snow and ice but there is some country up there. Try Montana. I saw desert one have of the state and trees and montains the other half of the state. Up north is wonderful during the spring and fall. I don,t like new York city but I love the state of new York. Lets talk about Florida. Yes it is swamps in the middle of the state and yes they have some toll roads but I use to take my family down there every year for vacation. You ain't got nothing on Florida. We use to stay by the ocean and swim and I took my family out on some boat tours on the ocean. Much of the north was very pretty in the country. I saw the Amish. I saw the small towns. I hated the toll roads. I saw all the little houses with candles burning in the windows I did not understand that much but found it pleasing to look at on a long nights drive. North Carolina an South Carolina what is not to like there. Georgia, I would avoid Alanta, Ga if you don,t have to but the rest of the state is pretty.
Well Missippii I am sure Ruthless would tell you about. As far as Arkansas the only big city it has is Little Rock, Fayetteville, Maybe Conway and Russellville and even those cities don,t compare at all to the other cities in America. We have a lot of towns with populations between 200 and 5000. Real good fishing, camping, and yes even some sailing and a river or two. You don,t know anything about America and I did not even cover all the states here nor even got close to my personal experiences which I could spend a lot of time over a few beers talking about. I have traveled far and wide and I know in my heart your full of BS*** when it comes to talking about America.

Landscape is interesting. The usurped nations of your continent could tell you more about it than I or you could see from transient personal impressions. I have been to Arizona and Virginia, both episodes occasioned by other than personal vacationing. What I said stands. The spirit of those people still lives in the present population of the continent. Carl Gustav Jung travelled there and wrote that he could not understand why he saw so many 'Indian' faces amongst the general population there. The spirit of place influences the people and eventually supervenes everything.

Rembrandt, your remark about the country I live in is more of a disappointment than anything else.

I recognize the beauty that your country has to offer, and hope to one day travel there and enjoy all that I am certain it has to offer. That it may be different than elsewhere, is not any reason to belittle "your" country, which could be done, but would not be how I honestly feel about where you live.

I am also aware that there are places that are not representative of your entire country, and for me to visit "just" those places and make an all-inclusive remark, would be wrong.

The United States covers an area of 3,537,441 square miles. Even IF you traveled through-out the entire States of Arizona and Virginia, which I doubt you did, you still would have only seen 156,775 square miles of the landscape of America.

Since you wrote "America", technically you are bagging on Canada, Latin America and South America, as well.

For me to proclaim your country doesn't have places of beauty and wonder, would be false. For you to make the claim that all of the United States is an endless trawl through the dusty plains and trailer parks is also false, and you know it.

I am not aware of any mountains in Great Britian that reach heights of over 14,000 feet. I am not aware of any Grand Canyons in Great Britain, nor of vast forest's such as in the wilds of Alaska, or as in the High Country of the Sierra Nevada Mountain's, and I don't believe Great Britain has anything similar to the beauty of the Hawaiian Islands...and the list of places you missed would fill several pages.

The usurped nations of your continent ...

I would be interested to see you name ANY nation NOT "usurped" at some point in history. AND from what country did most of the "usurpers" of the "usurped" nations originally come from ? Wonder why ENGLISH is ( or'was' ) the language of the United States ? Hmmm.

By the way, Great Britain would have been on the "usurped" nations list as of the 1940's had it not been for America. How soon the generations forget.

I find it difficult to buy into the fact that as intelligent as you seem to be, that you of all people would "really" believe the United States is 3,537,441 square miles of endless trawl through dusty plains and trailer parks.

well said, but too easy at the same time.

he doesent mean anything by it folks, its just his personality. when he comes to america, he drives on the left side of the road and calls everyone a cunt.

he seems to think its cool, so let him think it.

actually, i think its pretty cool too. he gets to speak his mind, i get to speak mine, and no harm comes about it.

he's just a uppity chap thats a bit chatty. (shhh, lets watch and see if he gets offended /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

there is no doubt about it that there are some beautiful places in the usa, but where i come from, that natural beauty has been replaced by concrete. i have seen my mother killed, best friends killed and committed suicide. i have been homeless, jobless, and full of self-despair.

on the same hand, i got to drive my first car in america, a 1974 chevy malibu station wagon. i saw my children born here. i found love here (albeit a short, but worthwhile time.) i have had amazing adventures here that i would not trade for the world.

the moral of the story is: america is aything you want it to be.

yes, there are backwoods trailerparks filled with inbred rednecks, but thats not what i would reccomend focusing on.

when he comes to america, he drives on the left side of the road and calls everyone a .... !

Then Rembrandt would fit right in with the rest of the drivers. Who doesn't drive on the left side of the road and call everybody a .... ? This is basic road rage etiquette.
ranting.gif

Awwww..shucks...I just don't like to see people getting the wrong impression about things.

Despite the mis-conceptions about the American Landscape, I know I am really no different than anybody else in the world and just like everybody else, enjoy outdoor activities...

like huntin' squirrels...

image5redneckfightingforce.jpg

or getting together with the rest of the family in the city park...

redneck-games.jpg

'Now Wait For Next Year'. That was the title of a story by Philip K. Dick. But of course you wouldn't know that. Americans don't read.

charles dickens told me to tell you, "you dont know copperfield, son!"

off the top of me head, a list to weaken teh mongrels:

where the red fern grows

david copperfield

the davinci code

the bible code

the crusades

indian in the cupboard

bridge to terabithia

the strength of materials

the holy bible

...heh

so tell me, why is it all you bloo-e crazy wankers drive on the wrong side of the road???