Move to new planet, says Hawking

TheCigSmokingMan

Timekeeper
Move to new planet, says Hawking
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6158855.stm

Prof Hawking is in "no hurry to die"

The human race must move to a star outside our solar system to protect the future of the species, physicist Professor Stephen Hawking has warned.
He told the BBC that life could be wiped out by a nuclear disaster or asteroid hitting the planet.

But the Cambridge academic added: "Once we spread out into space and establish colonies our future should be safe."

Prof Hawking, 64, was speaking before receiving the UK's top science award, the Royal Society's Copley Medal.

My next goal is to go into space, maybe Richard Branson will help me

Professor Stephen Hawking

He said there were no similar planets to earth in our solar system so man would "have to go to another star".

Prof Hawking said that current chemical and nuclear rockets were not adequate for taking colonists into space as they would mean a journey of 50,000 years.

He also discounted science-fiction ideas from programmes such as Star Trek, like using warp drive to travel at the speed of light, for taking mankind to a new outpost.

Instead he favoured "matter/anti-matter annihilation" as a means of propulsion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Representative of the Shadow Government, I demand that the Military Industrial Complex surrender all ALIEN TECHNOLOGY and captured SPACECRAFT so may move of this rock and save the HUMAN RACE.

With over 6 Billion people, It is time to leave.

TheCigMan /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The gigs up, Hawking is just tired of thinking and wants to check out another planet.
Who wouldn't?