Tachyons and time travel

PaulaJedi

Rift Surfer
Although still a theory, a tachyon is said to be a particle that moves faster than the speed of light. The particle was first mentioned by a paper written in 1967 by Gerald Feinberg and he said that they could be a part of a quantum field that has imaginary mass. Because of this, physicists tend to use the word tachyon to instead discuss imaginary mass. According to the theory, they have four momentum. In other words, the momentum vector in the mathematical equation exists in 4 dimensions.

So, put your thinking cap on. If tachyons existed and if we could create them or find them, how would you build a time travel device using them?

Hello Paula,

I'm not a scientist, actually I'm a business guy, but maybe I can help. I am currently studying basic complex numbers (imaginary) and the basic idea of a imaginary number is they can be graphed vertically in a one dimension horizontal numberline(terrible definition - sorry :/ ).

How this makes sense to me is these vertical numbers are outside of the dimension but still accountable and may interact.

Why does this matter? It may be best to study nature first to learn how it works.

Then it lead to ask does matter have properties that extend in to the imaginary or outside our standard dimension, and if so how do we measure these occurrences?

i as the principal root of -1

Hello Paula,

Do you understand what I mean and why it is important for imaginary mass and mathematical equations in other dimensions?

I have wondered whether Tachyons could be found in interference patterns. With to light wave fronts crossing each other at a right angle for example,the peaks and troughs of the interference pattern will be moving diagonally and as the diagonal of a square is longer than its sides they will be travelling faster than the speed of light. And if where a peak of one wave meets the trough of another they cancel out to nothing then where both troughs meet do you get negative energy, which would be a tachyon.

By the way Paula,

To answer your question, I would use tachyons to create a surface (basically a bubble) to separate myself from the normal mass (timeline).

Your other question, IDK how, but if I had the money and time I would experiment with water.

Some thing to the extent of making a small pump that could create a bubble around itself in water. The pump could not use air only water and only mechanical means for pumping.

To do that, that water must be moving fast, so fast that a leaves a gap. I hope this makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
So your questions leads to the following:
If imaginary numbers exist in our real lives, they would exist before the big bang, outside of or parallel with the universe, and they would look like fractals.

spacer.png

So your questions leads to the following:If imaginary numbers exist in our real lives, they would exist before the big bang, outside of or parallel with the universe, and they would look like fractals.
Imaginary numbers are indeed used in math, however, you cannot say they "exist" because something that is imaginary does not exist. After all, do numbers really exist are they simply symbolic? You can't go out and catch a "2". Their results can indeed be very real but is a quantity (or lack thereof) a thing that you can objectify? Numbers are descriptive. You also cannot go out in the world and catch a "red".

Last edited by a moderator:
Although still a theory, a tachyon is said to be a particle that moves faster than the speed of light. The particle was first mentioned by a paper written in 1967 by Gerald Feinberg and he said that they could be a part of a quantum field that has imaginary mass. Because of this, physicists tend to use the word tachyon to instead discuss imaginary mass. According to the theory, they have four momentum. In other words, the momentum vector in the mathematical equation exists in 4 dimensions.So, put your thinking cap on. If tachyons existed and if we could create them or find them, how would you build a time travel device using them?
Its quite tricky really, because its technically impossible for tachyones tto exist in the third dimension. So to contain them (my idea is use tachyons as a power source since they have literally infinite energy) you need a device that can exist both in the third and fourth dimensions AT THE SAME TIME. the trick to this would be a third dimensional object in the fourth dimension, its the easiest and most logical conclusion. But A) to open a hole into the fourth dimension and B) to keep that hole open for aggravated periods of time are extremely illogical to our technology. Such ideas are often considered impossible and that's why the use of tachyons is a tricky concept, because you need to be able to do two impossible things. But here's what's cool, I've made it my goal to invent time travel for this timeline, and so I try and to six impossible things before breakfast(know the movie reference? Its a cool concept so I stole it). And so I began working, I have a notebook of theorems and equations and the like all different ideas for time travel, proving and disprovi g them. And in that notebook I came up with an idea one day, that the speed of light is the speed limit for this dimension. Above the speed of light only the fourth dimension can handle(the speed of light is the lowest speed for the fourth dimension. the highest for the fourth is the lowest for the fifth) and so light transports into the fourth dimension. There's a better explanation I can give if you ask but for now to spare the typing , accept that as a fact real quick. Then its simple, move at the speed of light, above and you're stuck in the fourth dimension, below and you're pulled back to the third. But in between is a sort of purgatory, of the 3.5 dimension so to speak. From there tachyons can exist in the third dimension and can be contained. Just have the containment capsule move Planck distances and then it can be contained. Now remember this is a theory which I haven't shown to people before, it could very well be wrong. Critisize me and the theorem and tell me what I'm doing wrong and what's right so I can. Can improve in the future.

Imaginary numbers are indeed used in math, however, you cannot say they "exist" because something that is imaginary does not exist. After all, do numbers really exist are they simply symbolic? You can't go out and catch a "2". Their results can indeed be very real but is a quantity (or lack thereof) a thing that you can objectify? Numbers are descriptive. You also cannot go out in the world and catch a "red".
I understand, yes numbers are descriptive, but mathematics is best understood as a language describing phenomena as patterns.
You cannot catch a red but you can describe the frequency of red's waveform in math, and deliver a description of red better than a naked eye.

On another note, when Imaginary numbers were introduced to the western world, they were frowned upon by the math community. The community expressed the same concerns you are expressing now. After many years of hard work they were proven to exist.

I understand, yes numbers are descriptive, but mathematics is best understood as a language describing phenomena as patterns.You cannot catch a red but you can describe the frequency of red's waveform in math, and deliver a description of red better than a naked eye.
On another note, when Imaginary numbers were introduced to the western world, they were frowned upon by the math community. The community expressed the same concerns you are expressing now. After many years of hard work they were proven to exist.
I know, but do they have a different name? Saying an imaginary numbers exists is an oxymoron. To me, "imaginary" means symbolic. A place holder.

I know, but do they have a different name? Saying an imaginary numbers exists is an oxymoron. To me, "imaginary" means symbolic. A place holder.
They are part of complex numbers,
spacer.png

By the way,this is how I think this universe intersects with other world-lines, the yellow part being imaginary, green world-line 1, and red world-line 2, etc.

spacer.png

To travel between the world-lines a median is needed, and I believe this median is very "real" and similar to fractal imaginary numbers.

spacer.png

On another note, I find it very strange how most religions are about transcendence (doing God's work). These religious figures are depicted around the world with these auras similar to fractal images.

Coincidence perhaps or maybe not.

Although still a theory, a tachyon is said to be a particle that moves faster than the speed of light. The particle was first mentioned by a paper written in 1967 by Gerald Feinberg and he said that they could be a part of a quantum field that has imaginary mass. Because of this, physicists tend to use the word tachyon to instead discuss imaginary mass. According to the theory, they have four momentum. In other words, the momentum vector in the mathematical equation exists in 4 dimensions.So, put your thinking cap on. If tachyons existed and if we could create them or find them, how would you build a time travel device using them?
So back to your topic,To answer your question,

I think we can create a surface using tachyons to travel between world-lines, to find tachyons (using math as a guide above) tachyons should be a lack of matter. Imaginary numbers are easily created when you take a square root of a negative number. So take empty space and make it emptier and you will have a tachyon.

How to find them... they would be the lack of matter and the lack of energy. They would make normal matter do crazy things, so I would create device using a very stable substance with very fine tuned sensors on the substance. Next, I would create a tachyon and move device close to the tachyon. The sensors would detect a change in the stable substance. The other method is using the double slit experiment. a tachyon should change this experiment if done correctly.

Last, I would not use tachyons to build a time travel device. I think is a waste of energy, but that is my opinion.

Giving tachyons more energy causes them to slow down. Just like it is theorized to be impossible for a regular matter particle to accelerate up to the speed of light it is also theorized to be impossible for a tachyon to slow down to the speed of light. Tachyons with zero energy are proposed to travel at infinite speed. 

I imagine that c, the speed of light in vacuum forms a barrier or reflective plane between time and anti-time universes. The multiverse become analogous to an infinite hall of mirrors. Some scientists have theorized that tachyons may solve the dark matter and dark energy problems in physics... 

Here are six big questions about our universe that current physics can’t answer:

1. What is dark energy, the mysterious energy that appears to be accelerating the expansion of the universe?

2. What is dark matter, the invisible substance we can only detect by its gravitational effect on stars and galaxies?

3. What caused inflation, the blindingly fast expansion of the universe immediately after the Big Bang?

4. For that matter, what caused the Big Bang?

5. Are there many possible Big Bangs or universes?

6. Is there a telltale characteristic associated with the death of a universe?

Despite the efforts of some of the world’s brightest brains, the Standard Model of particle physics – our current best theory of how the universe works at a fundamental level – has no solution to these stumpers.

A compelling new theory claims to solve all six in a single sweep. The answer, according to a paper published in European Physical Journal C by Herb Fried from Brown University and Yves Gabellini from INLN-Université de Nice, may be a kind of particle called a tachyon.

[QUOTE='<em>The Tachyon Myth</em>]The myth of time travel persists in part due to hypothetical particles such as tachyons, wormholes, and erroneous ideas about time.
See the following:

The Tachyon Myth

What Time Is and What Time Is Not

The Wormhole Myth
[/QUOTE]It seems to me that whoever wrote those articles has no physical evidence to back up his statements that time isn't a dimension, or that time travel, tachyons, etc. aren't real. There's a saying that goes, "Where there's a will, there's a way". Assuming that's true, denials of the existence of such concepts are full of utter bullshit. The average human mind, even the average scientific one, has a lot of learning to do. Have you ever heard of the Philadelphia Experiment, the Nazi Bell, or the theory that some "ETs" we see may be time travelers from the future?

'<em>The Tachyon Myth</em>]The myth of time travel persists in part due to hypothetical particles such as tachyons said:
Something[/I] holds the atoms together to form the molecules to form the cells, etc. , to create a human form.    What is that something?   

On a larger scale, if we travel to the moon from Earth, as a simplified example, we aren't really traveling in an "empty space".   There would be light and electromagnetic energy, and more than likely other forms of 'things existing' that we are un-aware of .    

As far as the "myth of time travel", out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the existence of other dimensions ( realms of existence ) ? 

I'll throw this in here since it is mentioned by John Titor and others, other worldlines and temporal variation(s).