the actual time travel vehicle... characteristics?

astroboyuk

Chrono Cadet
I have some questions about the actual mechanism by which a person would be transported.. and for want of a better word, lets call it a 'vehicle' .. but it could just as easily be called a 'capsule', or a chamber or I guess 100 other things.. it might be a suit or a skin, or it might be a liquid the traveller is immersed in, right?

The essential things the vehicle needs to do:
  • Keep a human alive while travelling through time (air, temprature, pressure)
  • protect the person from whatever forces would be bearing down on the person from the forces harnessed to travel through time (electricity? ,radiation? extreme gravity, no gravity? violent movment? atomisation? god knows what!)
  • allow for 're-entry' of the person to the desitination time (out of the transient phase of their travel)
Presumably, the traveller should wear some kind of suit in case the air or location or temprature of their arrival is not condusive to human life. But if a time machine transports just a person, can it alos transport his clothes? If it transports his clothes does it also tranport the air around him? Does that mean it is definately a capsule of some kind?

By no means essential, but certainly would be on my shopping list, would be a means to travel back to the time of origin: which means the mode of transport would need to be reusable... but that creates big challenges: because would the power you need to move through time be available at your destination time? Unless there is some kind of magic free-energy involved, it would be a big risk to head somewhere assuing that you can find the means of transport back... and time travel would lose some of its utility if its only a one way trip.

Id be really interested to hear people's thoughts on what the actual transportation process would involve and how the human is protected during it!

No one knows what happened to Mad Man Markum. But he's gone. So it may have been a one way trip for him. He presumably made a big enough vortex and went through.

If it's going to be a oneway trip, I suppose a sports almanac would be something to take for a trip into the past.

A vehicle would be nice to have. But my idea is just to become a part of the circuit that generates the time wave phenomena. By wearing the the wave generator concealed in a backpack.

As for protection? We are moving through time right now. With no protection. So perhaps no protection would be needed.

we are moving through time right now , just a a boat moves with the flow of a river.. try to go against the flow and the experience is not as pleasant!

So if you were wearing your 'backpack' would it create a field around you that would transport you and your clothes and the content of you stomach through time? how far does the field extend? where does the field end? how does it protect you? What do you breathe during the journey? Would you wear special shoes for landing? How do you land? How do you know that the place you are landing is safe or doesnt now have a tree standing there? In kinda interested in the practicalities.

we are moving through time right now , just a a boat moves with the flow of a river.. try to go against the flow and the experience is not as pleasant!

So if you were wearing your 'backpack' would it create a field around you that would transport you and your clothes and the content of you stomach through time? how far does the field extend? where does the field end? how does it protect you? What do you breathe during the journey? Would you wear special shoes for landing? How do you land? How do you know that the place you are landing is safe or doesnt now have a tree standing there? In kinda interested in the practicalities.

I suppose you could look at time as being a river. But if you change the direction of the river flow, then presumably you'll be carried along in the new direction.

As for all the particulars, this would be purely speculative. I wouldn't want anyone thinking I have a time machine.

As for a generated field? Probably not. Whatever is in contact with the time signal generator would develop the characteristics of the new time wave signals generated by the generator. A breathing apparatus might be needed. I suppose initial jumps would be made without any apparatus, thus restricting the jump time span.

That is interesting that you would suggest special shoes. Perhaps you would, if you were having problems with remaining tangible. Maybe just dial down the power intensity levels of the time signal generator. Just enough so that tangibility is not a problem. Of course that may slow down your travel rate. But reemerging into normal time might be safer to do if you never became intangible in the first place. Thus avoiding the problem of reemerging into a solid object.

It's always been my suspicion that the nuclear force is responsible for time. But that force also allows particles to occupy the same place at the same time. Just an interesting observation that seems to parallel the problem of a time traveler that by accident becomes intangible. And of course there is the story of the Philadelphia experiment that has been denied by the Navy as having never taken place. So all those people that actually saw the Eldridge disappear tend to disagree. And the reports of sailors being meshed within the deck of the Eldridge seem to also parallel the effects of an intangible object occupying the same place as another object at the same time. Imagine that. A way to access nuclear force electrically. What a can of worms that would be if word got out. I guess we can all be thankful they don't teach us the truth.

thanks for this Einsten, I'll comment on some bits:

I suppose you could look at time as being a river. But if you change the direction of the river flow, then presumably you'll be carried along in the new direction.

yes, point taken, but how would you protect the time passenger from the forces required to change the river flow in the first place?

As for a generated field? Probably not. Whatever is in contact with the time signal generator would develop the characteristics of the new time wave signals generated by the generator. A breathing apparatus might be needed. I suppose initial jumps would be made without any apparatus, thus restricting the jump time span.

Two questions here: Is a "time signal generator" just alternative phrase to "time-machine", or are you referring to some imaginary technology you just gave a name to?
If you suppose a breathing apparatus might be needed.. .what would it look like and how would it integrate with the time machine? is it self contained with the time passenger or is it connected to the infrastructure around it? If its connected to infrastructure around it what happens to it when the travelling starts?

Thus avoiding the problem of reemerging into a solid object.
what if the accuracy of your time travel machine is a little out (even by 5minutes or 5 inches)... you could appear at the time where something is at the spot ,.. eg a rock or a car.?

What a can of worms that would be if word got out. I guess we can all be thankful they don't teach us the truth.
If its ok with you I dont really want to have to deal with consipiracy theories or any of that garbage: I just want to discuss the practical elements that would have to be considered for a person going through time travel.

astroboyuk
but how would you protect the time passenger from the forces required to change the river flow in the first place?
Let's just speculatively say that the power levels needed to change the flow of the river of time are just extremely low and not a problem for our short term use.
Is a "time signal generator" just alternative phrase to "time-machine"

Yes, although I want to emphasize that you are in mechanical and electrical contact with the Time Machines output waves.

If you suppose a breathing apparatus might be needed.. .what would it look like and how would it integrate with the time machine? is it self contained with the time passenger or is it connected to the infrastructure around it? If its connected to infrastructure around it what happens to it when the travelling starts?

I wouldn't make it an actual part of the time machine. Just something small that can be worn for maybe several minutes. Thus making it easy to store in the backpack after arrival.

what if the accuracy of your time travel machine is a little out (even by 5minutes or 5 inches)... you could appear at the time where something is at the spot ,.. eg a rock or a car.?

With a beginning Time Machine, there would be no accuracy. So initial jumps of say 30 seconds of holding your breath might give you some idea of the time span jumped. As for appearing within an object, well I did specify that I remain tangible throughout the jump. So it's possible I could collide with an object during the jump. But not appear within an object. Hopefully there will be some visual cues to avoid collisions. But those answers are yet to be determined.

astroboyuk;
astroboyuk said:
In kinda interested in the practicalities.
Perhaps, a better word choice might be hypotheticals.
Your questions are fine if your researching how to enable a fictional character, in a sci-fi book, to travel backward or forward through time at will but, in the "practical" world, no such event is likely to ever occur. Time travel is great sci-fi and paradoxes are "sometimes" fun to debate but there is far too much in the way of it's possibility to seriously entertain it's practicality.

yep, hyperthetical practicalities are fine ... just looking for intelligent sensible perspectives on it (rather than those who believe they have already solved time travel or have some magical insight or conspiracy theory.)

A time travel machine might not be a container at all.
It might just be a really advanced camera and wing-mirror.
The camera clones you and your clone goes into one of the mirrors to the past.

A time travel machine might not be a container at all.
It might just be a really advanced camera and wing-mirror.
The camera clones you and your clone goes into one of the mirrors to the past.

Sure ok... so taking that forward, how does the clone survive going through the mirrors? Do they just walk through them? Does the mirror know which bits are human and which bits dont need to come with the clone? Does the clone need to hold his breath? Does the clone need any protection from the process of going through the mirror? Can the clone see in 'real time' (using TV parlance) where he is going to step in to the past/future so can avoid obsticles?

Id be really interested to hear people's thoughts on what the actual transportation process would involve and how the human is protected during it!

On a serious note: IF time travel actually does take place, I don't believe it will be a human per se, but a hybrid if not a full on genetically built android of some type. Or simply a remote-controlled type of energy, without any solid type of body whatsoever. Either way, the time traveler would be immune to any diseases and be able to access required internal databases, be able to adapt to changing eras and environments.

I also believe that IF time traveling is discovered, it will be done by accident during research in another field. I.E., experimenting with light-bending material for "invisible" body-armor. Or trying electromagnetic experiments on military ships to become undetectable to radar. ;)

Could also be some type of dimensional type of traveling as well, that includes "time" as well as other dimensions. We might not be able to see the time traveler's at all, if they are able to remain within a dimensional "side-band" of sorts.

KerrTexas

I also believe that IF time traveling is discovered, it will be done by accident during research in another field. I.E., experimenting with light-bending material for "invisible" body-armor. Or trying electromagnetic experiments on military ships to become undetectable to radar.

LOL, that's why I keep saying time travel was invented in the 1930's. Due to a naval vessel that disappeared right out of the water in plain view of many witnesses.

Could also be some type of dimensional type of traveling as well, that includes "time" as well as other dimensions. We might not be able to see the time traveler's at all, if they are able to remain within a dimensional "side-band" of sorts.

I see what you're getting at. Kinda like the only way to view dimensional time-travellers is with some form of Ultra-Violet camera/glasses etc.

If time-travel does become possible, I hope the means to travel is a bit more imaginative than 2 boxes (as used in the movie Primer).

but what would the machine actually look like, and how would you either wear it, or sit within it?
How would you breathe during the travel?
does the machine take the air around you or just you?
Does the machine know to take your clothes or would you have to arrive naked like terminator?
Or do you ride inside a car type vehicle with a seat?
In looper it was like someone being put inside a metal oven enclosure
in Dr Who its a kind of vehicle
... so, all this interdimensional being stuff is interesting, but not the topic... IF it were a machine, how would it handle and transport the humans safely in practical terms?

but what would the machine actually look like, and how would you either wear it, or sit within it?
How would you breathe during the travel?
does the machine take the air around you or just you?
Does the machine know to take your clothes or would you have to arrive naked like terminator?
Or do you ride inside a car type vehicle with a seat?
In looper it was like someone being put inside a metal oven enclosure
in Dr Who its a kind of vehicle
... so, all this interdimensional being stuff is interesting, but not the topic... IF it were a machine, how would it handle and transport the humans safely in practical terms?

Not a whole lot of people actually talk about time machines or experiments that they have done. I merely just mentioned a path that I have considered might be one possible time machine.

But there is Doctor Z and his claims of the Brossard experiment. He installed a series of caduceus coils all in series throughout his car. He then connected everything up to a device that was built for him by an older gentleman. On the day of the test, a friend stated that he saw the car disappear as Doctor Z drove it down the road. Here is a link to Doctor Z's claim:

The Brossard Experiment

thats pretty funny. He built everything, except this little bit that came from a little green leprichorn... and then the green mist came... At least in a car he had somewhere to sit; and if the theory was true, then presumably the vehicle is the entire machine, and it transports itself and everything inside it... which mean it is a self supporting, autonamous time machine, rather than one that effectively pushes someone and a unpowered capsule through time (llike shooting someone from a gun).