THE GOLDEN BOUGH by Sir James Frazer ( A Discussion )

KerrTexas

Super Moderator
There are several sources to be able to read The Golden Bough written by Sir James Frazer, however, the linked PDF format here is the one I use since I can read the pages on my computer, ipad or phone.   Helpful, since reading The Golden Bough can take a lot of time to read and a lot of time to ponder what is read.  

The Golden Bough  

is a wide-ranging, comparative study of mythology and religion, written by the Scottish anthropologist Sir James George Frazer. The Golden Bough was first published in two volumes in 1890; in three volumes in 1900; and in twelve volumes in the third edition, published 1906–1915. It has also been published in several different one-volume abridgments. ( wikipedia )  

Described by the author on the cover of the 3rd Edition, " The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion " , is a seeming simplistic description, however, I would say is also misleading as to the depth of the material contained within Sir Frazers book.    

I feel that it challenges our perceptions of mankind and everything else.   As I make my way through the book, I can't help but feel that mankind is still just as primitive today as mankind was thousands of years ago.   I read the description of mankind in The Golden Bough, hunter/gatherer primitives. and figure that nothing has really changed except that mankind is now , armchair primitives.     

To quote from the book..

" fables contain a deeper philosophy of the relation of the life of man to the life of nature—a sad philosophy which gave birth to a tragic practice. " 

I would say is a more accurate description of Sir Frazers book.    In my own words, or a restructuring of Sir Frazers ....

" fables contain a deeper philosophy of the relation of the life of man to the life of nature---a sad philosophy which gives birth to tragic practices. "

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, where to begin?  Ahhh...this seems like a good place to start ...

YouTube video :  

The video is entitled " What is Animism? "   .   

Arith Härger  presents appropriate points in his video that also provide an excellent foundation for this discussion.   Keep in mind, I am not claiming that any belief system is IT, over any other belief system.   

As a matter of fact, at this point, we start with NO beliefs.  This statement will be expanded upon later in this discussion, ( IF a discussion actually develops. )   

Mr. Härger  presents a basic explanation of Animism.  Within his explanation, he is providing examples that relate to Sir Frazers book.   

( For some - skipping ahead to 30:21 in the video, very important perspective and a lot of people should hear it. )

Last edited by a moderator: