The TTI Shakeup - Details

Cosmo

Owner
Staff member
Timekeeper
As you know, I've been struggling with my interest in TTI. We've bounced around to some different platforms, tried adding or removing features, experimented with sister-sites... The whole bit. None of it worked, and our community has suffered for it. I'm not pleased with that being the end result, but it is what it is, and it's time to move forward.

In previous posts, I've said that I believe the future of TTI lies beyond the forums. That I need to pursue the site *I* want to be part of.

I bought TTI because there's a legacy here that shouldn't vanish like Anomalies or Time Travel Portal did. What we have here is also part of internet culture, however small, and that's not something I wanted (or want) to simply disappear.

My frustration has stemmed from having a much broader range of interests than time travel. There's SO much more I want to share, explore or discuss, but time travel is a niche of a niche, and that makes it difficult to expand the way we ought to. Time travel as a genre is exciting, but there's only so much one can say about it.

As an attempt to keep TTI as a brand intact, we experimented with having Curious Cosmos as a sister site. All that did was split attention across two separate communities, one hurting the other.

The logical conclusion here is simply to become Curious Cosmos, with Time Travel Institute as a niche within that platform. As of January 1, 2017, we'll begin using the CuriousCosmos.com domain, and I'll restructure the site to reflect that change.

First, the forum structure:

Each forum will more than likely have many different thread prefixes enabled, but I'll discuss those in another thread (this one is going to be long enough as it is).

A few notes about specific forums:

Podcasts, Videos & Blogs - Largely outlined below, but any item that gets posted to the blog will show up here, and we'll use the forums as the commenting engine.

Time Travel - To maintain some continuity and help people not feel like TTI is being disposed of, this forum category will continue to use the current blue theme. The current TTI domains will also land directly in this forum category.

Survival - This is a new addition and will start off with very few threads (if any). However, I think the subject is important, and we should give people a place to share and discover ways to handle themselves in a bad situation.

The biggest thing we'll be adding as Curious Cosmos is a podcast and a Curious Cosmos YouTube channel.

Podcasts will be 20 to 30-minute episodes exploring any number of topics - Aliens, time travel, science, breakthroughs in technology, politics, whatever. Each episode will be a little different as far as what gets discussed, but It'll all have an overarching theme of "curious stuff." I'll be recording and editing, and Hallie will be helping me research and come up with ideas. We'll more than likely be using BlogTalkRadio.com to start, then maybe adding the 24/7 streaming radio option once there's enough original content to support it.

YouTube videos will be called something like "Microcosms" and be no more than 3 to 5 minutes in length. Most of these will be self-contained "Hey, did you know" sort of videos, but I'll use them to outline a podcast topic briefly and then direct people where to listen to learn more.

Both the podcasts and videos will start being crafted in April after we move, but planning is already underway.

Another feature that you all already may know about is the Time Capsule. Sites like Anomalies or Art Bell's Post-to-Post vanished without the owners really understanding the value of what was being lost. I've modified a script that's allowed me to download EVERYTHING Archive.org has on file for various domains, and I'll be incrementally posting that stuff as it becomes available. The sites I'm currently planning on rescuing content from are:

Anomalies.com

Art Bell's Post-to-Post

TimeTravelPortal.com

In addition to that, I've also recovered everything possible from prior versions of TTI. I'll be using these to go back and fix threads that have severe formatting errors, fix inbound links and some other boring stuff. The end result is a very solid forum foundation with as complete a history as possible.

As a compliment to the Creative Cosmos forum, we'll be adding a Media section for people to upload and share things. We'll be using xenForo's addon for this:

Media | XenForo Community

We'll have a Resources section, also using xenForo's own addon:

Resources | XenForo Community. This should compliment a LOT of forums. Couple use-cases might be if someone wants to write a survival manual or a PDF outlining how to lucid dream - They can submit it here, get a dedicated thread for it and then manage that upload by providing updates later ( for which people can receive notifications). This also gives visitors a central location find things that they can use, vs. sifting through tons of threads.

Cosmos Prime is effectively just a way to allow people to support the site, remove ads, get access to a members-only forum and get a few other perks that I'll outline later. One key thing here though is that self-promotion posts will ONLY be possible by members of Cosmos Prime.

We'll be reintroducing Tachyons (renamed to Buckazoids after the currency used in the Space Quest series). People will be able to purchase abilities such as bumping a thread without posting in it, sticking a thread, becoming a moderator in a forum category for a set period, renaming another person's user title... Fun stuff like that. I'm still exploring the specifics here.

In addition to being able to buy forum abilities, we'll also have what's effectively a virtual trading card system. Sets of cards, each having varying degrees of rarity. People can purchase these outright, earn them through forum competitions, trade them back and forth, etc. This is something I've wanted to do for a while, and I think will help improve stickiness and get people more involved. Still, some specifics I need to explore here, too.

On the front-end of the site, we'll do a few key things:

1. List recent threads directly on the home page

2. Improve navigation so people can get to specific areas easier

3. Introduce the "Titor Navigator," something Time Travel Portal had which meticulously cataloged Titor's posts

4. Introduce Encyclopedia (or Glossary) pages that outline specific subjects like the Betty and Barney Hill abduction, Bigfoot, Men in Black, etc.

I think there may be some smaller things I've forgotten, but this should be complete enough for you guys to get a good picture of the changes coming.

Let me know what you guys think!

Forgot to include the forum structure:

• Site News
    Announcements

• Podcasts, Videos & Blogs

[*]The Curious

• Aliens & UFOlogy

• Ancient Mysteries

• Conspiracies

• Ghosts & Hauntings

• Gray Area

• New Age, Mysticism & the Occult

• Mythical Beings

• Power of the Mind

• Time Travel
    John Titor

• Claims & Experiences

• Prophecies & Predictions

• Urban Legends

• Time Machines

[*]Urban Legends

[*]The Cosmos

• Current Events

• Futurology

• History

• Natural World

• Philosophy & Psychology

• Politics

• Religion, Faith & Theology

• Science & Technology

• Space & Space Exploration

• Survival

[*]General & Off-Topic

• Creative Cosmos

• Health & Wellness

• Interesting Links

• Popular Culture

• Off Topic

• Feedback & Suggestions

• Site Support

[*]The Time Capsule

• Anomalies

• Art Bell Post-to-Post

• Time Travel Portal

[*]Curious Cosmos Team

• Round Table Discussions

• Problem Users

• Area 51

Sounds awesome Cosmo. :)

One of my major concern's would be burning out on trying to do too much too fast. Is there some kind of time line for the progression of your vision and what assistance / roles Paula and myself can provide to help?

Although this might not necessarily apply at this time, what killed the original Time Travel Institute was the bullying. Many people got chased off and the participation dried up. With that being said, I agree that TTI definitely needs a conversion, possibly as you described in your post.

People expected to discuss time travel with like minded people and instead got hammered for posting NON-scientific garbage.

Another issue that began to plague TTI was repetition. New posters bringing up topics that have been discussed to death through-out the years. I don't know if there is a way to prevent recycling topics from OP's?

So, with what you outlined in your post above - with the elements I presented taken into consideration - what you are proposing definitely could be a Phoenix rising from the ashes.

There are a lot of elements that you've presented, and will be exciting to see it manifest. Not even sure if what I brought up needs to be considered, but, felt need to be said. Especially with your mentioning different attempts not working. I can tell you Cosmo, that the reputation of the old TTI affected the new forums. But, then, I believe that a focused interest in time travel dwindled as time passed.

The one thing I hoped to see from Time Travel Institute was to have an element of the 'institution' take the research into time traveling ( perhaps other realms as well ) more seriously. Even having an investigative and experimental division ( laboratory ). You know, actually have an "institute", not just a discussion forum.

One of my major concern's would be burning out on trying to do too much too fast. Is there some kind of time line for the progression of your vision and what assistance / roles Paula and myself can provide to help?
The majority of the work is the content, and that won't happen until after we get set up in Washington. The stuff that WILL be done before January 1 is:

1. Duplicate threads deleted

2. New forum categories set up

3. New theme set up (main theme will really just be the same as what we have except use purple and a space background)

4. Basic Buckazoid/Buckazoid shop set up

5. Media addon set up

6. Resource addon set up

7. Cosmic Prime set up

8. 30 blog posts curated and scheduled beginning January 1 (this is actually easier than it sounds; until we move the blog is mostly just curated content sourced from places like reddit)

Once I get the first two done, the biggest thing you guys can do to help is move threads from Unsorted into wherever seems most appropriate. You can help with that NOW as long as you sort threads by Start Date and work top to bottom:

Unsorted Threads

Although this might not necessarily apply at this time, what killed the original Time Travel Institute was the bullying. Many people got chased off and the participation dried up. With that being said, I agree that TTI definitely needs a conversion, possibly as you described in your post.
I can agree with the bullying bit - Time travel is extremely science heavy, and when you have someone who knows their physics and has the proclivity, it's easy for some kid asking about the HDR to get absolutely wrecked when they post bad science. The new structure allows for a lot more non-science discussion which makes it a LITTLE harder for the Darby's of the world to wreck. We'll just need to make sure that people are debating the CONTENT of the post, not the CHARACTER of the person who posted it. Getting back to where things can be will take a while, but as new people find us it'll work itself out.

Another issue that began to plague TTI was repetition. New posters bringing up topics that have been discussed to death through-out the years. I don't know if there is a way to prevent recycling topics from OP's?
The thread prefixes feature will help with this, along with the encyclopedia/glossary pages. Imagine we have the Time Travel Urban Legends forum, which we know gets a lot of threads about Rudolph Fentz or the stock market dude. Each of the threads in there would have a prefix so that it's obvious whether something has already been posted. You can see the beginnings of that idea here:Urban Legends

Another thing we'll have in each category is a link to the encyclopedia section as a sticky. An example for the TT Urban Legends would be a sticky thread titled "List of Urban Time Travel Legends", which links to the overview page explaining the basic information, then at the bottom you have a link to show threads with the relevant prefix or tag.

You'll always get duplicates, but at the very least there's something we can point to so we can post "hey, take a look at this..."

can tell you Cosmo, that the reputation of the old TTI affected the new forums. But, then, I believe that a focused interest in time travel dwindled as time passed.
Very true. I also think the combination of people like Reactor1967, the bullying, the slow death that Mop allowed to happen and then my subsequent destructive experiments all played a big role. For my part, trying to reconcile my wants with the historic importance of the "brand" here were a big contributor and I'll openly admit that. At this point, all I want is a site I can be EXCITED to be a part of, one that caters to ALL of my interests.

The one thing I hoped to see from Time Travel Institute was to have an element of the 'institution' take the research into time traveling ( perhaps other realms as well ) more seriously. Even having an investigative and experimental division ( laboratory ). You know, actually have an "institute", not just a discussion forum.
This has crossed my mind also, but I lack the scientific background to even know where to begin organizing something like that (as it pertains specifically to time travel). I approached people like Darby and RMT with the idea when I bought the place, but never heard back as I know they've both got more important things to do ;) Part of what I'm doing with the podcast next year will be going ON SITE to places like these:

13 Scariest Haunted Places in Washington

...Then report my findings. There'd be a 5 minute video showing off what I did, then a longer podcast explaining the history and then detailing any experiences. I'm not about to consider myself a paranormal investigator, but actually making an effort to get out there and experience stuff, then share it with others is what I'm after.

This has crossed my mind also, but I lack the scientific background to even know where to begin organizing something like that (as it pertains specifically to time travel). I approached people like Darby and RMT with the idea when I bought the place, but never heard back as I know they've both got more important things to do ;)Part of what I'm doing with the podcast next year will be going ON SITE to places like these:
13 Scariest Haunted Places in Washington

...Then report my findings. There'd be a 5 minute video showing off what I did, then a longer podcast explaining the history and then detailing any experiences. I'm not about to consider myself a paranormal investigator, but actually making an effort to get out there and experience stuff, then share it with others is what I'm after.
What if did this but also had a section on the site called "Institute" or something like that. This could be where the resources live as well as experiments, investigations people on the site do, the encyclopedia stuff, etc. This would be fact/evidence oriented information (not discussion since that it was the forums are for). This would be a great place for people (like myself) who do not know much about the theories, history, concepts, etc and are new or exploring.
This could even help with the bullying since all they would have to do is say "check out this information about XYZ and then we will talk in more depth" or could link them directly to what they are referencing instead of saying go google it because you are an idiot basically. It would definitely help with intimidation as well. I do not have a lot of knowledge of anything on this site (a few things maybe) but it is very intimidating for me which is why I do not post. I have posted before and members do not respond to me at all or blew me off. With this said, it does not bother me, I just have a different perspective since I am a newbie to this site and concepts.

This is just my two cents..... :)

What if did this but also had a section on the site called "Institute" or something like that. This could be where the resources live as well as experiments, investigations people on the site do, the encyclopedia stuff, etc. This would be fact/evidence oriented information (not discussion since that it was the forums are for). This would be a great place for people (like myself) who do not know much about the theories, history, concepts, etc and are new or exploring.
How would you structure this and where would the content come from? Is this the same thing as the encyclopedia/glossary? I had pictured those as basically easily digestible Wikipedia articles but the Institute bit sounds like more than that.

It would be mainly the "easily digestible Wikipedia articles" but you have mentioned doing investigations in Vancouver and whatnot. These investigations could also be material that goes in there. Or from research journals, scholarly articles, etc.

I guess I mean, this would be the Wikipedia articles and hard evidence/resources. Does that make sense? I am just thinking and typing which means it is not fully formulated in my little lady brain. o_O

I think I understand what you're getting at.I think what it boils down to is having SOME way of being able to easily drill down to real, factual or tested ideas.

The Wikipedia style pages will help with that, and we can interlink between those pages and the blog/podcast/video entries. From the forum, we'll have a link to learn more about whatever category you're in and I think that'll give enough circular relationship between everything to do what we want.

I'm going to start crafting some announcement posts today. One main, sticky announcement and then individual smaller announcements for the features I talked about above.

We'll be reintroducing Tachyons (renamed to Buckazoids after the currency used in the Space Quest series). People will be able to purchase abilities such as bumping a thread without posting in it, sticking a thread, becoming a moderator in a forum category for a set period, renaming another person's user title... Fun stuff like that. I'm still exploring the specifics here.
I have never work on a forum before, which all of you know, so I apologize for my naive question. What are the pros and cons to allowing members to become moderators of a specific topic for X amount of time? What are the consequences? What access to do they have to the site?

I have never work on a forum before, which all of you know, so I apologize for my naive question. What are the pros and cons to allowing members to become moderators of a specific topic for X amount of time? What are the consequences? What access to do they have to the site?
This isn't entirely fleshed out yet, but the general idea is to allow people to work towards having a stake in the site. Someone who actively contributes in a positive way should be able to earn some extra privileges, further rooting them into the community and giving them some ultimately benign powers. Moving threads, removing posts from public view, sticking a thread, changing the title on a thread... None of that stuff is a permanent change, and any abuse can be quickly reverted by one of the permanent staff.Good Scenario:

Dizzy is an excellent contributor and posts frequently in the Aliens & UFOlogy forum. It's his favorite topic. He makes X posts per day in that category, earning himself enough Buckazoids to purchase moderatorship. He has to continue posting in order to keep that status, but that otherwise becomes his category. He does a good job, we notice and offer him a permanent moderator status. He's happy, now has an investment into the site and will stick around for a long time.

Bad Scenario:

CigSmokingman3 posts enough to purchase moderatorship in a category, and immediately begins removing threads and doing other destructive things. Someone notices, his moderator status is removed and his account is permanently banned from being able to purchase account upgrades in the future.

I agree. People generally do not search for a topic. They just post and want us to do the work. I don't know what the solution is, though. I also don't like really vague subjects and I'll probably be changing those.
Example:

Subject: "Question!"

Instead of: "What is a black hole?"

It goes along with my bad grammar pet peeve. LOL!!!

Something to consider; instead of being moderators maybe promote selected members to become teachers/mentors. The linked forum provides an example of such promotions and allows for those selected members to post in their own classrooms relative to subject specific academia. Within those specific areas the teachers/mentors are given limited moderator status with overseeing their e-classrooms.

The Veritas Society - Index

Screenshot

Moderatorship of a forum won't be cheap - Someone would need to post 10 or more times per day (for a month or more) in one of the MAIN categories to accrue enough points to do this in the first place. Even then, the moderatorship expires after a month so the person is going to have to work to keep that privilege until we core staff decide that maybe they should be a permanent moderator for that forum.

The people going after this with any consistency are going to be the people who have a passion for participating in the main community - Remaining a moderator is HARD, they have to post ALL the time and be a GREAT example.

If we blend moderatorship/power with "teach a curriculum" with a bunch of additional subforums within each category, we'll end up with a lot of dead or incomplete structure living within these core forums.

What you're describing, I think, is basically what the groups/forum creation feature is. Each core forum category will have an associated "group category", and members create THEIR group inside one of those. Then, we can link to the list of groups within that category from the forum. Sort of like this:

Aliens & UFOlogy >> Alien & UFOlogy Groups >> Cosmo's Alien Abduction Support Group

Here's the Group plugin's demo:

View attachment 585

Imagine Real Talk and Test are two of our 20 core categories. You click on one of them and you see:

View attachment 586

Those are the member created groups living inside one of those main categories.

This way, people can pursue the academia angle, create support groups, form a debunking club or whatever. It's more free-form, allows for what you linked to above, gives the member more control but also doesn't impinge on our existing core category structure.

Screenshot is a link ; I use a print screen program

Don't know if there is a "just remove from public view" feature. there use to be just such a feature. If there is, then an administrator can review the posts to ensure they're being removed appropriately, without them being permanently deleted.

Screenshot is a link ; I use a print screen programDon't know if there is a "just remove from public view" feature. there use to be just such a feature. If there is, then an administrator can review the posts to ensure they're being removed appropriately, without them being permanently deleted.
Absolutely - Nobody who purchases those abilities will have any way to do anything permanently destructive. I don't even think I have hard deletion enabled for anyone other than my Webmaster role ;) There's also the moderator log, which shows any actions taken:

View attachment 588

Post history is kept indefinitely at this point, so the worst that can happen is someone loses 30 minutes of having to revert edited posts within a single forum, and that's assuming someone really wants to work that hard to do something easily undone and get banned.

Well, that makes sense then. I do not see why we should not have people able to purchase the role for a specified thread. There seems to be a lot of positivity that could come out of it.

tl;dr - Research shows, what I have seen, that this is a good way to activate a community and grow it.

1) The members feel like that have more ownership in the community. This is their community as much as it is Cosmos. Yes, he owns the site but without members and a community, the site is nothing but a time travel, paranormal, fringe history book.

2) From the research that I have done about forums and communities, having ownership roles or something like this helps with growth. More people are excited about the community => more people talking about the community => increased membership (I am sure you all are all aware of this since you have been apart of forums/communities like this for awhile) Research shows this is the fastest way to grow a community or forum or even email subscription list.

3) Take it one step forward (time travel to the future..hehe). Having just @PaulaJedi and @KerrTexas as moderators might not be enough once everything takes or even grows steadily over time. There will be a point in time where we need more than just 2 global moderators.

4) It also is like a test to see who is worthy of permanent moderatorship as well. We get to test the waters with different interested individuals and see it we think they are worthy of the role and if they are dedicated.

Of course, there are some risks but if nothing can be permanently deleted and they immediately lose the role if something did happen, then I think that the risk is worth taking.

Sidenote: I have been thinking about @KerrTexas idea about classrooms or "institute". From what @Cosmo1598825723 showed me, the individuals or groups interested in doing this would be covered by being able to create their own forums, groups, blogs, chatrooms, video channels, etc. We would just have to figure out where and how to make it more of a known/defined space for "institute" worthy information (if that makes sense).

We would just have to figure out where and how to make it more of a known/defined space for "institute" worthy information (if that makes sense).
This is easy - Add a page to the WordPress site showcasing the most active or well-run groups, then blog about one every month or two.

Buying moderatorship with tachyons ---- Just a few questions.

1. Will Kerr and I still override any decision they have as moderator?

2. Will they have access to the users, IP addresses, etc. like we do?

3. How can we be 100% sure that they are following our motto of being open, friendly, etc? We won't know

what they are saying in private to people.

Just concerned about an angry previous user coming in and trying to take over. Call it PTSD. LOL

Last edited by a moderator: