Time Travel Institute Simulator

Cosmo

Owner
Staff member
Timekeeper
I've been thinking about ways to tell stories with TTI, and build out what I've had in the back of my mind since at least the Paranormalis days. I've always wanted to find a way to manifest an expanded universe centered around a place like Time Travel Institute, and so that's what I'm going to do. A while back, I talked about the release of Unreal 5 and how great it looked. The big bottlenecks that prevented this sort of thing before are now pretty trivial... The bottleneck now is articulating the idea. Translating from brain to pixel. Or something like that.

I completed the initial build of the new 3D printer this weekend, but got a bad Y-axis motor. Big pain in the butt, so onto something else while I get that worked out in the background. We will return to that project later.

What I have in mind is a walking simulator, where one gradually learns the backstory to the TTI universe. Time Travel Institute exists as an organization in The Void, a pocket subidmension created long ago by The Watchers. The last known Watchers created the Time Travel Institute, but disappeared long ago for reasons yet to be discovered. You, the player, have stumbled into this dimension and the only way home is learning to wield the power within the Institute.

The Void looks a bit like this:

2505080.webp

I've been experimenting over the weekend getting to know Unreal 5 - There is a lot we can do with this, and it's ultimately a LONG TERM project. Something we'll be chipping away at for a while to come. The end goal is an experience like Gone Home or The Stanley Parable, but before that the focus will be on building TTI and filling it with references to things we find fascinating. This is a good opportunity to take our 20+ year history and hide easter eggs to threads that have happened here, or callouts to long-time members.

1654049676571.webp

It's taken me a couple days longer to get to posting this than I intended - Lots of experiments and just getting used to the program so I can maneuver around and understand lighting, getting a level together, basic interactions, stuff like that.

1654049830497.webp

1654049908085.webp

1654050023175.webp

I'll continue posting updates on this as things progress, and provide some download links once there's something worth someone else exploring :) If you have ideas for things you'd like to see, let me know and I'll consider including it!

1654052752500.webp

Last edited by a moderator: