"The future ain't what it used to be."

Time-travel Paradoxes!

There is an article in Discover magazine that express physicist Julian Barbour theorizes of time. Anyone searching for an understanding of the true nature of time would do well to read this article. Barbour is a theoretical physics that has devoted nearly 40 years to the study of time. There are also links to his home page at discover.com, look under current issue.

Question #7 What would I do with plenty of money & power? First I build a bomb shelter, then think about it.

Oh yeah, TT-0, just supposing I do have a scar on my left leg, *exactly* where would it be located? And wouldn't my cousins' brother just be another cousin?

You got me on the pocket change. If one were not trying to prove anything I guess they would have left their wallet in the future. But doesn't that mean that you would have to bring some antique money back here with you? Like when I go to France I can buy Franks when I get there. But if one were to exchange 2036 dollars for 2000 dollars ..... well lets just say they wouldn't be going anywhere for a while.

Ok, so gold is gold and that would solve the exchange problem.

Last edited:
TT 0

Time - I don't believe it actually exists. Or rather, it exists as a series of "now moments" for eternity (that's a paradox if i ever saw one).

My question is; SHOULD we try to avoid this pending calamity (ww3) in our future? It seems that to bring about true change, some growing pains are needed to be experienced.

Last edited by a moderator:
To- Trintius

.....Damn straight...!!!

(laughs)

Operation Domination is in action!!

P.S----To any American posting here...

Exactly how many Americans voted for the president out of the entire U.S.A?

Thanks for your...(ahem)..."time"

Dr.P.Light

Last edited:
Hey! Hows come nobody but me has taken the time to answer timetraveler_0's questions?

Do you really think that is fair?

He has tried to answer all of our questions.

he only asked ten. we have asked him alot.

shadow answered one.

sincerely,

pamela

Some answers for TT_0:

1. According to the Constitution, who do you think has the final word on choosing a President and why?

I would say that the senate could use article 1 section 3 and appoint a president pro tem. or they can use the 20th amendment section 3. this could have been used in the recent case and a run off election could have been done.

2. Do you think the Electoral College should be continued?

Yes, it can disagree with the popular vote. I thought the popular vote was more democratic.

3. Why do you think the Bill of Rights was written?

To preserve order and protect the people and to give them a sense of participation in the formation of policy in government.

4. What is your opinion of the second amendment to the Bill of Rights?

It seems as though I suffer from being myopic as well, the right to bear arms is all I ever heard. I think it has been taken out of context as an excuse to have a gun and do anything you want with it. I think there should be some sort of responsibility amendment.

5. Does anyone know what industry is the largest US political contributor?

I thought it was the tobacco industry.

6. Does anyone know who owns the majority of the solar power research and development companies?

Other major power companies, P.G.+E, Con Edison. Dow Chemical also is in there.

7. Imagine you have all the money and power you desire. What do you see yourself doing?

Two things. Manufacturing electric cars - the right way. Research in my own lab.

8. What is the longest distance you ever ran and/or walked at one time without stopping?

Along time ago, 15 miles - a walk-a-thon for muscular dystrophy. More recently, 1 mile to and from work. I like to see the stars in the early morning while going to work.

9. What is the longest period of time you went without food?

7 days, just to see if I could. 24 hours no water no food, 168 hours no sleep. Not in that order and not all at once ?

10. Do you know what Cholera is and how to avoid getting it?

Not sure on this one. I think it has something to do with un-purified water. You would need to boil the water or add a purifying agent to it.

Hows that Pam? :))

[This message has been edited by djayr42 (edited 16 December 2000).]

Originally posted by Dr Light
 Exactly how many Americans voted for the president out of the entire U.S.A?
Shouldn't be 'how many Americans voted for the correct president
Amazing country though, they've proved -

- They can't design ballot papers

- They can't read ballot papers

- They can't use ballot papers

- They can't count

- They don't want to count

- They file law suits against each other because they can't count

- It takes them 2 months to elect a head of state

- Their head of state can't read ballot papers or count

- etc etc etc

Last edited:
What ever happened to "Exentuate The Positive" ??

Frankly, I've heard enough negativity as to what we "Cannot" do, or what others have "Failed" to do. Why not discuss what we "Can" do, or what we can attempt to do that may lead to success in spite of all these failures?

Trintius:

America may have some problems ,as all countries do, but its still a great country.

its a beautiful country.

I always liked this popular song:

"I am proud to be an American

where atleast I know Im free

and I honor those that fought

to give that right to me.

And I'd gladly stand up next to them

and defend her still today,

There aint no country like it,

God bless the USA!"

Its unethical to down someone elses country infront of them. Almost everybody is proud of their own countries. no matter what has happened in the past.Iam sure you are proud of Australia. Changes may need to be made here but I still love America.

I agree with you Time02112 I would much rather think on the positive.

sincerely,

pamela

TT-0

I think you know very well the answers to the questions you have asked. You just want to guage the quality of our replies, or just remind us that we SHOULD be up to speed on our constitutional rights and responsibilities.

A young person should want to survive and live for better days ahead. At some point, however, an older person will realize, especially in the face of disaster, that better days are NOT on the horizon.......ever. What you are forcasting for 95% of the present population is 20 years of hell followed by survivors in the rubble. I've already put in my 40 year shift of work and worry. Why should we fret over politics on our way to slaughter? Isn't that like telling the Captain of the Titanic, that all he has to do to save the ship is to back up really fast after the collision?

It was obvious 5 to 10 YEARS ago that we've been SOLD OUT. For us, the game is over. I should offer an excuse for apathy? It should do for a reason at least. Actually TT-O, maybe in you we can see that eventually SOMEBODY finds their friggin guts and puts an end to the madness.

Last edited:
Don't give up shadow. even in the midst of caos there is always hope. our end doesnt have to be like his end.

there are some people even as we speak that are actively making a time machine.

If this outcome for us would actually be true we have time on are side now.

the outcome of this time is UNKNOWN.

If there is one timetraveler.. there are many.

we can change the future, Shadow.

next comes the brave souls that are willing to try.

as he said when he uses his machine that going to another time line or dieing is both equally accepted.

How brave are we? I am not afraid of dieing.

I have done it before.

When the time comes....I will go.

I will be willing to go and make it right.

[This message has been edited by pamela (edited 18 December 2000).]

To Trintius,

You do not realise how long i laughed after reading that post but let me assure you I found it.... mildly ammusing.

Thank you.

I will be back with more questions for T-T0 later in the week

Dr.P.Light

Last edited:
for all we know,it was TT-0 who indirectly started the war.perhaps the TT-0 who traveled to HIS timeline was captured and they assimilated his General Electric Time Machine which spurred the war?

when did he say the war started,btw.

Fast Out

Pamela,

Thanks for the encouraging words. I do lean to the dark side. It comes from hours, days, and years of "partial successes".

I'm sorry to hear that you keep dieing all over the place. Fortunately I haven't had a lot of practice at it lately. But do keep up the good work, you are the heart & soul of this board. I rank no higher than jestser and deservidly so.

Last edited:
Shadow,

I know you are much more than that! I have read your postings on this forum. They are very intelligent and insightful.

I don't keep dying over and over but I have had a near death experience. And it has erased my fear of death. I know there is much more to this world than what we can see.

sincerely,

pamela

I think it was interesting as I was reading my NEWSWEEK I received today on page 55. in the article "36 days:The Fallout"

were these words in a box amongst all the

little boxes of pictures.

"After this story,

what could come

next to keep the

spoiled media

beast interested?

civil war? "

just had to share that with you.

sincerely,

pamela

last night i felt terrible,and had a fever.i fell asleep at 9PM and slept until 2PM this afternoon.

during my sleep,i had a dream of me,in my English Class.my english teacher brought her child to school.her child had been a government experiment gone wrong.they had tried to combine oranges and a baby to make an orange baby.her baby had orange hair with a blue stripe down the middle,and had orange skin and orange-blue spiral eyes.my grandmother was also in the dream and she said we had all came from potatos anyway.my mother was there too and she said 'why are there still potatos here if we came from them,and why would we be eating them?'

then i woke up...

is it possible to have acid flashbacks while your asleep??

"Paradox", as an English word, has it's origins in Latin and Greek.

But alas, it is still just a word in any language, regardless of how it is spoken, ancient or modern. And thus a verbal utterance that represents the conveyance of a concept. As all words are.

Generally, it refers to the "idea" of the existence of a problem that has no solution.

But again alas, this is nothing but an invention of the mind of man. Nothing that actually occurs in the Universe.

There are no paradoxes in the Universe.

The so called "grandfather" paradox has not, does not, and cannot ever occur simply because the situation that defines it is not possible in the first place. There is no past where/when your "grandfather" is "alive" for you to ever encounter. Any more than there is a future where your "grandson" travels back from to encounter you.

If there is "Time Travel", it requires much more sophisticated concepts than this simple non-existant "problem".

And...

The so called "twins" paradox is actually not a paradox at all once one understands the idiosyncrasies of Relativity. Many think they do, but few actually do. Those who consider the "twins" paradox to actually BE a paradox, are among those who don't.

Hint: Think about what constitutes a "year", as opposed to watching the hands of your wristwatch move. Remember, "year" is again a word that conveys the concept of a single revolution of the Earth around the Sun.

Both "twins, the Earthbound one AND the travelling one will still have lived in a Universe where the Earth went around the Sun the SAME number of times.

The traveler's BIOLOGICAL clock would run slower, as do physical clocks under the circumstances, but the Earth will have orbited the Sun the SAME number of times from BOTH of their points of view! Even while the traveler's watch ran slower.

Time dilation, as a proven effect of differing relative velocities may be an unusual idiosyncracy inherent in the properties of relativity, but...

There is no paradox here.

And it most certainly does not constitute Time travel in and of itself.

There is no paradox ANYWHERE in the Universe for that matter.

How could there be?

The very concept is itself absurd. A mind game. A modernist mythology. Right up there with Jupiter governing the Universe from Mt. Olympus, or Noah's Ark.

You believe in the "Great Flood" perhaps. Gee, where did all the water come from? (Descended from nowhere out of space?) Where did it go? (Evaporated back into nothingness into space?) Do you have any idea how much water it would take to cover the Earth up to the top of Mt. Everest and beyond? Or how thick the cloud cover would have to be that contained the water that constituted the rain that had to have fallen to make a flood THAT big?

About as much as it takes to drown the idea that "paradoxes" actually exist, from my calculation.

Peace.

Last edited:
Back