EIther I go Deaf or...

Probably a new smoke alarm will fix it too. Mine started doing that too for no apparent reason. I took it apart and removed the battery, and then squirted some alcohol in the sensor chamber. After that I used a hair dryer to dry it out. I think mine developed a cobweb problem. Anyway it behaved itself after a good cleaning.

I sleep in the backyard.

Interesting. We also sleep in the back yard. The only time that I sleep indoors is if I'm on the read and have to sleep in a hotel. I just prefer being outdoors with the animals, stars abd sounds of water (ponds in the back yard and the ocean two blocks away).

The road is next door to me, but I'm going to try and sleep outside more often especially in the summer. My neighbor said that there's a ghost in the backyard asking for her daddy. I'm not too sure if I'll be able to encounter it but I think I wan tot make sure that no one can see through the fence when I sleep in the backyard next. Otherwise random people might do something. I live right next to a street, but I can sleep through anything.

Time for a new battery?
RMT
Probably a new smoke alarm will fix it too. Mine started doing that too for no apparent reason. I took it apart and removed the battery, and then squirted some alcohol in the sensor chamber. After that I used a hair dryer to dry it out. I think mine developed a cobweb problem. Anyway it behaved itself after a good cleaning.
It is a new smoke alarm. Only a few months old. Take battery out and still beeps loudly. It's hard wired. Electrician fixed it but now there are two and the center one will be back tomorrow early morning and I need to sleep soon. Someday, I'll fix things myself.

SInce I sleep through smoke alarms with sound and my Landlord just spent $400 on a new alarm and said they won't spend any more money, well... I'm going to sleep in the backyard now since I sleep through sound and not light, but she won't get light alarms.

I'm sleeping in the backyard soon for life until things are fixed or I enter a new place, whichever comes first.