Taking science classes in the future...

Skarpz

Quantum Scribe
Maybe this is off topic and maybe it isn't?

Anyways, this forum interests me and I've been wanting to take some science classes related to these subjects or at least find the information out there. I won't be able to take a basic physics class until spring or fall of 2012 since I have to take so many math (up to Trigonometry) classes before I can take it. And to take a higher physics class I need to take a higher math (Calculus or so). If I want to continue and become a physics major, I need to take some Chemistry classes. Most of this I have never taken before. One step at a time and I'll see if I can make it up there. I'd really like to learn about all this and since I'm in school I'd figure I'd take some classes and see how far I can go, but I'm sure that there's another way to research what is on this forum instead of taking a bunch of classes. I just don't know how at this moment in time. It's boring and interesting at the same time. I'd like to participate in this forum more once I have a better understanding instead of just learning it from science fiction. Just putting my thought across since there hasn't been a post in 3-4 days.

Respond if you will.

Skarpz;
You’ve got the right idea and attitude. The best place to start is at the beginning. I would suggest, if you want to study in physics and chemistry, get the math courses out of the way first. Both of those disciplines can be very frustrating without a solid foundation in math. As for other ways to learn than just classes, the internet has many sources. There are online classes (if you’re wanting credits toward a degree I don’t know if they are accredited) but they may still be at an introductory level and have value. Just looking up things you see posted here through a search engine and reading about them will help. Never be afraid to ask questions. Many others posting here seem to be quite knowledgeable and will be able to help you understand something.
Good luck

As for other ways to learn than just classes, the internet has many sources. There are online classes (if you’re wanting credits toward a degree I don’t know if they are accredited) but they may still be at an introductory level and have value. Just looking up things you see posted here through a search engine and reading about them will help

Do you have iTunes on your PC? If not, download and install it. Once you get it going click onto "iTunes U" (iTunes University) as your search criteria and then search for physics, chemistry, etc.

iTunes has a very large selection of free video lecture courses from Stanford, MIT, NYU and several other major universities. You can download the courses and watch the videos to get a good clue about not only the sciences themselves but what you can expect of a university level science class. These videos are used by regular fulltime students at those universities for the same classes.

Professor Leonard Susskind (Stanford University) has several complete physics courses that are excellent, can be understood without the math and for the most part the math that is involved is lower division undergrad level ordinary differential calculus (which he tends to fully explain as he goes along). His classes run from introductory general physics to introductory special relativity and on to advanced special & general relativity,quantum mechanics and string theory (Susskind is "the father" of string theory). The same classes at Stanford would run you a couple grand to attend for credit.

I've got iTunes although I don't have an mp3 player or an ipod, but that's neat about the free classes and I'll have to check it out sometime when I'm not busy doing schoolwork.

I saw a couple that I could see there that were from Leonard Susskind when I typed in "Stanford physics"

The classes that I would eventually be able to take of physics would have to be with differential calculus and the cost would be free except with a letter grade that could either benefit me or hurt me down the road. So those iTunes U lectures sound like a good idea.

Thanks Darby.

and thanks Gpa too for responding.

Saw the first lecture in a series with Leonard Susskind. Not sure if I understand it correctly. I was wondering if I should make a thread about it in the Real Science section and put images in the thread based off of what he showed in the video done by MS Paint (using it as a chalkboard). Don't know if images are okay in this forum or if it has to be a link. I'd like to discuss it and just need to know about the images thing. I'll be looking at the lectures in my spare time.

Parallel Worlds thread should be left to that subject and so I'm going here since it's going off topic.

O
, wanting to see if I can go with what I might be able to do which would go in this order of elimination: Physics, Math, a health degree and then at the very least: Liberal studies with a theme of Working in a nonprofit organization.

Hav eto take up to Trigonometry to transfer with a Liberal Arts transfer degree.

My plan for the next two years of classes:

Spring 2011: Intermediate Algebra/ Writing class or fitness if writing is not available/ Reading
Fall 2011: Spanish 101/ College ALgebra/ Writing
Winter 2012: Spanish 102/ Intro. to Trig and Geometry with a geometry class/ writing class
Spring 2012: fitness class or writing class (need 3) whatever works out/ Trig./ Genereal requirement/ haven't figured it out yet.
Fall 2012: Statistics 1, Physics - general - Trig required, Chemistry
Winter 2012: Statistics 2, Chemistry

Getting the 4 sciences done in 2012-2013
After that I'm unsure. It all depends on if I pass math or science classes.
If I can continue further then in 2013-2014 would be taking Calculus and Physics that requires Calculus.

That's my plan so far and I'll see how far I can go.

Some of these classes I might not take and there's the physics lectures from Stanford I can look at. Everyone would be available to comment on it and they could watch it. From there I opened another thread in the real science section and everyone can comment (including mods), but I will only be able to do so in my free time.

There's a chance that I might not make it to the physics classes such as ones that are taught from Stanford.

If I can't study it in school, then this is the only way I know so far.

It's sort of a study before I study if I ever get to study it in school in the future. If you know what I mean? See if I want to go that route or just stick myself in another direction besides physics. And just learn it in the meantime just for fun while asking people what they thought of it. One mod seems to be the only person around that's really responding or is really here as of late besides a few others. It's like learning something on my own time and won't be able to study it, if I get to study it, before I study it, a couple years down the road.

If I can continue further then in 2013-2014 would be taking Calculus and Physics that requires Calculus.

Yes, going beyond general physics will require the calculus. Your (three) lower division physics classes, beyong general physics, will most likely be divided into three quarters or two semesters:

Classical Mechanics, Electricity & Magnetism (E&M) and Thermodynamics

Skarpz, you're best off learning science in a proper laboratory. However, there is a definite way to improve your chances at "getting it". Simply take up computer programming as a hobby. It will shift you to ultra-left brain thinking in no time. If you use a Windows operating system before Windows 7, you can try downloading QuickBASIC, as it's the easiest to learn. Otherwise, you can try one of the other versions of BASIC that will work on your OS. The principles you learn there will apply to other languages as well. What you will achieve is a very analytical thought process and very technical world view. Post here if you need help. Good luck. :D