"The future ain't what it used to be."

The Andrew Carlssin case. True or Fake?

servantx

Timekeeper
time-travel.jpg

First things first. The above article itself is a fake. The original article was written by movie writer and novelist Chad Kultgen while he was a writer for the tabloid The Weekly World News, not Mike Foster (whoever that is). Second, the SEC didn't file charges for insider trading against anyone named Andrew Carlssin. You can go to the SEC site and find out all of their filings, which we did at the time that this was first published.

Time traveller forced to take stock - Banking - Scotsman.com

Look at this source article in 13 April, 2003.

The quote of the news source was originally said:

The Security and Exchange Commission said that his claims were being met with a degree of scepticism.

One said: "We don’t believe this guy’s story - he’s either a lunatic or a pathological liar. Every trade he made capitalised on unexpected business developments, which simply can’t be pure luck.

"The only way he could pull it off is with illegal inside information. He’s going to sit in a jail cell on Rikers Island until he agrees to give up his sources."

Why does the article point out that SEC is skeptical about the claim?

Look at the weekly world news article scan below.

The face looks different.

Weekly World News - Google Books

Blimey, my horoscope is vaguely but frighteningly correct!
Shame it is out of date................. but probably scaringly similar to the one in the current issue, or any issue of any errrr similar magazine, TV guide etc. o_O
LOL
Dave!

Perhaps I should add a permanent Sig: Cynical Bar Steward!

Time traveller forced to take stock - Banking - Scotsman.com

Look at this source article in 13 April, 2003.

The quote of the news source was originally said:

Why does the article point out that SEC is skeptical about the claim?

Look at the weekly world news article scan below.

The face looks different.

Weekly World News - Google Books

Servantx,

I read the article closer and it did come from the Weekly World News as a follow-up to Chad's article. So the article itself is not fake.

OK - why does the article point out the SEC is skeptical? Most people are skeptical of any time travel claim, and for good reason. So, a writer calls the SEC and asks a friend, who is a food line server in the cafeteria, what s/he thiks about time travel claims. Answer - they're skeptical. The answer doesn't necessarily have any thing to do with the context of the article.

Another friend who is an SEC "insider" says this time travel stuff is a bunch of nonsense. Same as above. Do you believe in time travelers? No, says the SEC "insider" (this one a mail room clerk), it's all nonsense.

The questions not asked or addressed in the article: did the SEC arrest, have arrested, file charges against, convene a Federal Grand Jury to indict Andrew Carsslin for some felony charge? Nope. Nowhere to be found. Any names of the SEC, FBI or NYPD sources? Nope. Does the article actually say that the "insiders" who were contacted were SEC criminal investigators? Nope. Did it actually say that Carsslin was arrested by any agency for stock fraud? Nope. Does the article say that Chad or any other reporter for Weekly World News actually verified that Carsslin was every in custody? Nope. Bottom line, does the article say anything specific about anything at all? Nope. Carsslin could just as well have been a drunk who was ranting about time travelers and the stock exchange when he was arrested for public intoxication and the arresting street COP noted his statements in the report. Chad reads the police blotter at the precinct and gets a bright idea for a story. The details are true...mostly. Run the story and sure, "scores of reporters" want an interview - one score work for Weekly Worlds News and a score each for a couple more supmarket checkout stand tabloids want an interview.

HINT: check out the dates of the events that supposedly occured WRT this article. Not so much the year (2003) but the month and day. I'll get you started: Chad's original article ran on March 28th. Follow ups were run for the next few days.

File this story next to "Elvis Married My Neighbor's Two-headed Dog from Mars"

Servantx,

HINT: check out the dates of the events that supposedly occured WRT this article. Not so much the year (2003) but the month and day. I'll get you started: Chad's original article ran on March 28th. Follow ups were run for the next few days.

Hi Darby,

So you mean the original article come out on March 28th, but they report it on March 19, 2003? Interesting...

'TIME-TRAVELER' BUSTED FOR INSIDER TRADING
Wednesday March 19, 2003

By CHAD KULTGEN

NEW YORK -- Federal investigators have arrested an enigmatic Wall Street wiz on insider-trading charges -- and incredibly, he claims to be a time-traveler from the year 2256!

Sources at the Security and Exchange Commission confirm that 44-year-old Andrew Carlssin offered the bizarre explanation for his uncanny success in the stock market after being led off in handcuffs on January 28.

CyberBubba Central - Time Traveler

I thought April 1st was the date that was permanently stuck on the Calendars in the offices of "newspapers" like that!
:rolleyes: ;)
Dave

Hi Darby,

So you mean the original article come out on March 28th, but they report it on March 19, 2003? Interesting...

CyberBubba Central - Time Traveler

No. Chad's original article in the Weekly World News ran on March 28th, 2003. Over the course of the next few days there were follow ups by Chad. I'd never before seen the article by Mike Foster because, frankly, after a few of days of posts it became a bore. Servantx, it was an April Fools joke. Get it? March 28th - follow up for the next few days...April 1st.

The Weekly World News is a tabloid - stories about Elvis, two-headed monsters, my cat ate an elephant, etc. It's not the news. They don't deliver it to your house, you buy it at the supermarket check-out stand along with all the other tabloids. And most of it is pure fiction. Chad needed the work after graduating from USC because he hadn't yet met the Hollywood "biggies" in order to get the big break into writing movie scripts.

Back