I wasn’t going to join this discussion, but what the hell;
Is the shroud of Turin the actual burial cloth of Jesus?
We can never know for sure, unless Jesus himself stands before us and says, “Yep, that’s mine.” Although, I imagine He will have one hell of a time “proving” to skeptics that he exists.
For every argument a believer may present to validate the existence of an historical Jesus, a non-believe will offer a counter argument. So it’s been for almost 2000 years.
Let’s see, what did I care most about when I was in my late 20’s and early 30’s? Ah, I remember, Biology. I was studying it in college and I was planning a future around it. Many credit hours, from many classes, over several years…straight A’s (yep, no modesty with this. I am damn proud of straight A’s in ALL of my science related classes).
Time to write my memoirs of the time I spent with my professors. Let’s see now, what do I recall from each of those, I don’t know, hundreds of lectures?
What do you want to bet, I will forget parts of those lectures? Maybe even important parts, that really affected my thoughts at the time. My money says I will.
There are discrepancies between the Gospels; written by four different men; possibly the actual man; possibly being transcribed by a younger person listening to an old man relate stories from many years ago.
So what?!
Caucasoid is a biological classification used in forensic anthropology. Palestinian is an ethnic classification. Jesus was a Jew, ethnically, and caucasiod, biologically.Does anyone else notice how much effort is put into denigrating one religion, one God, and one Man, who’s existence is fervidly denied with, no proof that he didn’t, other than denying the proof that he did.
Non-believers operate under the same two informal fallacies;
argumentum e silentio: where the conclusion is based on the absence of evidence, rather than the existence of evidence.
argumentum ad ignorantiam: assuming that a claim is false (true) because it has not been or cannot be proven true (false), (vice versa).
I see the situation quite simply:
I believe Jesus is the son of God; He paid the price for my sins, having lived a sinless life himself; because of His death and resurrection, I have a path to an eternal afterlife with Him and God. (what it might be like I have no idea but that doesn’t matter)
If I am wrong and at my death everything I am ceases to exist, I loose nothing.
If I am right, I gain everything.
Not a hard choice for me.
Nothing anyone can say would change my belief. No one has that control over me.
As it has been said many times before…It is a matter of faith, not proof.
If you don’t believe…that’s fine.
Is that a reason to ridicule someone that does? Is it, somehow, your responsibility to destroy anyone else’s faith. If that is your goal and it turns out you are wrong…
Matthew 18:6
If anyone causes one of these little ones–those who believe in me–to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.
Mark 9:42
If anyone causes one of these little ones–those who believe in me–to stumble, it would be better for them if a large millstone were hung around their neck and they were thrown into the sea.
Luke 17:2
It would be better for them to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around their neck than to cause one of these little ones to stumble.
The Bible, New International Version
Seems three out of four agree on this one.
Let the attack begin.