flaws with time travel

abc

Temporal Novice
hi, this has probably been brought up a thousand times but some things still need clearing up

my first point:

if you go back in time and go visit your old house what will you see? yourself? what if you kill yourself at that age? this cannot be possible for obvious reasons...

there are a lot of other issues with time travel but ill leave those for after a proper answer to the above point

Solution 1 - your point of entry into the past creates a parallel universe. If you kill your younger self, one universe exists where you were killed as a young boy and one where you were not.

Solution 2 - The universe simply doesn't allow these type of paradoxes. No matter how hard you try something coincidentally will always happen to prevent you from meeting yourself.

Solution 3 - I suppose JT's excuse should get a mention. You cannot travel back within your own time line. You switch 'lanes' into another time-line and therefore your actions have no impact on your departure timeline.

Solution 4 - none of the above. We have no idea of the true structure of time and therefore cannot solve the paradox with contemporary thinking.

Yes, it has been discussed before and the term for it is the 'Grandfather Paradox' - ie if you kill your Grandfather then your Grandfather's murderer would never be born.

James

Solution 3 - I suppose JT's excuse should get a mention. You cannot travel back within your own time line. You switch 'lanes' into another time-line and therefore your actions have no impact on your departure timeline.

If this is true, then why would some people on here be looking for his "predictions" to start happening? If he jumped from his timeline to ours, then is our future the same as his??? It doesn't make any sense wouldn't he then be an "alternate dimension traveler" and not a "time traveler" per se?

sorry if this has already been discussed but he (JT) seems to contradict himself.

I think he said the difference between the two was +/- 2%, and these things may not happen (he wasn't certain)in our time line, the only way to know was to wait and see. I personally think that he was a fake, but he did explain it in this way.

Sorry to cortrect you James Anthony, the flaw would not be not to be able to meet yourself, but not to alter history in any way that would cause a change to you. Say, you go to an attendant at a supermarket, buy a chocholate bar, but then there's one less, which means the whole flow of time is off... maybe someone will go to another supermarket to get a chocholate bar and gets hit by a car while doing it?

But then, I guess meeting yourself would change you... ha ha, so many 'twilight zone' episodes on this, in one ep. a man goes back to his house telling his parents that he's himself from the future and they don't believe him. In another a man tries to kill Hitler and his gun jams at the last second and a guard comes in and arrests him... so you see you wouldn't be able to do it, nature wouldn't allow it.

We say we are free to do anything, right? But there are rules, a russian physicist (his name eludes me) brought this up, that the same way you can't just walk on a wall (Law of Gravity) so to there would be a law that means you can't change the past... don't know how, but there would be something to prevent it... Now it's bothering me, how would it happen?

so according to your theory there are an infinite number of universes in existence right now, with most of us presumably living more than one life. i somehow find this hard to believe :/

ok my second point: (again probably discussed many times already)

why havent people from the future travelled back into our world? (jt doesnt count as he was obviously a fake)
the theory about being able to only go back a certain number of years again doesnt work out. ok fair enough you can only go back 10 years at a time, but why not keep doing this until you are back say 100 years?

so according to your theory there are an infinite number of universes in existence right now, with most of us presumably living more than one life. i somehow find this hard to believe :/

I don't believe in them either. I'm just offerring you the most common solutions to your problems.

why havent people from the future travelled back into our world?

Solution 1 - Maybe they have but don't want to make themselves known - what would they have to gain?

Solution 2 - Maybe time travel has legal restrictions

Solution 3 - If there are multiple universes, then it's possible that we exist in a universe where no traveller has returned to.

Solution 4 - Time travel may be only possible to the point of the construction of the machine. Stephen Hawking propsed such a machine once where two metal plates vibrating at the same frequncy, charged with an unimaginable amount of power to generate a worm-hole between the two. Then one end would be transported away close to the speed of light and then returned. Theory of relativity states that time would have passed more slowly for one of the holes, and therefore stepping through would send you back in time.

James

I would imagine that the law of time travel that prevents interference e.g. killing hitler would exist as a natural consequence of time travel. If you were to alter the furture by your actions then you and your future may cease to exist and you would then be unable to change the past anyway because history was different than it was when you left for the past.

Oh dear. I need to lie in a darkened room!

/ttiforum/images/graemlins/confused.gif

"Solution 2 - The universe simply doesn't allow these type of paradoxes. No matter how hard you try something coincidentally will always happen to prevent you from meeting yourself."

Why does everyone say that, is this proven no. It is something that someone said that has carried on. Its all bull [censored].

"Solution 2 - The universe simply doesn't allow these type of paradoxes. No matter how hard you try something coincidentally will always happen to prevent you from meeting yourself."

Why does everyone say that, is this proven no. It is something that someone said that has carried on. Its all bull [censored].

It's just a hypothesis. None of the other 'solutions' have been proven either.

It's takes the assumption that everything we do, is already planned out. EWven if we travel through time. We can't change something because we know it happened as it did.

By the way, that 'someone' was Stephen Hawkin. He did recant it, but it still offers a solution to the Grandfather Paradox, which was what ABC was looking for.

James