Sock puppet PM

Cosmo

Owner
Staff member
I had blix1ms0ns PM me asking if these two guys were using the same IP:

View attachment 253

They do appear to be sharing an IP, but was curious what you guys think I should reply with. If I reply and confirm they are the same IP, I risk having my PM being put into that thread as a gotcha which could create drama.

I actually don't mind sock puppet accounts as long as its not all that ever happens. There's good reasons for having one, like posting opinions you might not want tied to your main account. I don't want to encourage it, but I also don't want to be a policeman about it if they aren't being assholes and its generating some activity/interest.

1850744683_ScreenShot2020-07-02at3_58_51PM.png.3bc48ede1f638846b71493b7a6706bc5.webp

Is it in the rules? I personally don't think it should be allowed. What's next, 5 more accounts? However ---- you need to verify that it isn't a friend or family member using the same IP address. Not everyone has 5 computers like all of us. lol

I don't think we even have rules set up at all... The ones in the link at the bottom is just the default xenForo stuff. I replied to the guy and confirmed they are using the same IP address because he figured it out and asked me directly.

However, I honestly don't mind if someone has more than one account that they use to roleplay or post something controversial they don't want associated with their main account. Reddit allows it, Twitter allows it, and plenty of other smaller sites allow it. We're not reddit, but I think there are valid reasons for doing this, including having a little fun. It doesn't hurt anybody and fun is part of what we're here for. It's creating activity. In fact, if there were a realistic way to allow completely anonymous posting I would allow that in a heartbeat.

That said, if someone is using multiple accounts to cause problems or create drama, then those should be shut down.

We did have a situation with people using AOL. They all were assigned the same IP.  Something to do with going through AOL.  That they still do that? I don't know.  

Yeah dialup (and DSL to an extent) use something like "block IPs" that work that way... Not sure if that's the right term.  I remember having to roll back some bans and stuff on Time Travel Forum and Paranormal Network when it was more common. 

Same thing if you use something like ExpressVPN. Different people can be piped through the same IP.