Why we were given freedom by God

PaulaJedi

Rift Surfer
Humans are not perfect and are more or less free, but we must deal with the consequences of our actions.  

It is easy to blame the snake in the Adam and Eve story, but Eve made her own decision to eat the apple.  She then had to deal with the consequences of her decision.  Did God then destroy all freedom? No.  He still allows us to make mistakes and deal with the consequences.  This is precisely why I believe in freedom of speech and other freedoms.  We do not need someone else's morality shoved down our throats.  Each person should be free to say what they want and be expected to handle the consequences.  Each person can decide their own right or wrong.  Animals do this all the time.  If an animal messes up, he dies, but is there a dictator animal telling him never to hunt again?  No.

Last edited by a moderator:
'PaulaJedi]Humans are not perfect and are more or less free said:
I consider freedom of choice a punishment. We were created in God's image. But apparently he punished us all by taking away our all seeing and all knowing ability. So we all learn by trial and error. I frequently suggest that some geneticist will one day come up with a telepathy virus. We are all then all seeing and all knowing.

[QUOTE='PaulaJedi]If you know all, are you truly free, or is your life a only tape played out and dictated only by fate?  By not knowing, we can change our own future. 
[/QUOTE]Obviously our lives would no longer be dictated to us by liars. We would be free from making any wrong choices. Do you really need that kind of freedom to make wrong choices?

[QUOTE='Einstein]Obviously our lives would no longer be dictated to us by liars. We would be free from making any wrong choices. Do you really need that kind of freedom to make wrong choices?
[/QUOTE]But if we don't make choices, we are nothing but robots.  Do we want to live like Cybermen or Borg with no free will just so that we can be protected from "bad choices"? 

We can choose to do good instead. All choice is not off the table. Just the criminal ones. I would like to think most of us choose good choices anyway.

Back