A time travel question

1stBorn

Chrono Cadet
First, let me start by saying that, I am new to this forum and have found some very insightful posts that I have found very interesting and educational. For that, I that all of you. My question is in regard to time travel. Lets say one has created a fully functional time machine. The machine is located in the creators lab. The time is 12 oclock noon and the creator of the machine hops in and travels back in time, lets say 15 min to 11:45. The time travel is successful and the creator confronts his self at 11:45 sitting in the lab contemplating his departure at 12. The creator tells his other self not to hop in the machine and insists that he not travel time. What would happen at 12? Would the one that traveled time simply disappear or would he vanish the second that his other self decides not to travel time? I have been thinking about this and it seems like he would have to disappear as he would have never traveled time and would not be present to tell his other self that he shouldnt use the machine. Would his other self even remember the conversation? If he didn’t travel time, the conversation never took place? Does this make sense?

Yes, it's called the Grandfather Paradox. If you shoot your Grandfather in the past, the murderer of your grandfather was never born. There's a few topics talking bout the same thing down the page.

Welcome to the forum, but please try to read some of the posts first. I'm not trying to be rude - it's just that I've answered this same question about 3 times in the last 7 days(not just here) - I feel like I'm trapped in a time loop!! /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway. Try reading a few other topics and give your insights there. Maybe the answers are already here... :eek:

James

thanks, I will look up the Grandfather paradox. I understand that there are many threads on this forum and more than likely my question has been answered somewhere in the threads. However, it's much easier to simply post a question than to browse through thousands of pages filled with creedo's view points, titor references and time travel jargan. They need to limit his access.

Quantum theory suggests that there are multiple universes, but a good book to read is J. Richard Gott's book, Time Travel in the Einstein Universe.

There are ways around the paradox, but it becomes weird, if in a single universe, but then the other theory up above, would allow that, perhaps, but it would not be the same universe, but one that is similiar (except for some minor different results, such as game outcomes and that, perhaps, if anyone can ever really prove it ~ multiple universes or the multiverse or superverse as it is called).