Calling all time travellers from 2003 and earlier

Re: Calling all time travellers from 2003 and earl

Re comment Night-sider; The Jargon Dictionary - http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/a/AFAIK.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Jargon Dictionary : Terms : The A Terms : AFAIKAFAIK
AFAIK // n. [Usenet] Abbrev. for "As Far As I Know".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADVENT <<< AFAIK >>> AFJ

One nice way to prove time travel might involve travelling to the "past" not the "future": use the same technology as was used to get to the here and now to go back to some event that time travellers know will stand revealed in the recent future of 2004, get the lowdown on it from the inside, preferably leaving an envelope or something to prove they were there, then come here, say their claims, wait to be proven true, and confirm that it isn't an accident -- since they must have time travelled further back to do what they did.

And so on.

In regards to the original post:

Anyone claiming to be from the past would be lieing. Travelling to the future is impossible.

The reason for this is that the future hasn't "happened" yet. At least, it hasn't for you.

I have to disagree with you, in fact, it is much more possible than travelling backwards. All you need is a vehicle to travel at high velocities and you will be travelling forward in time. Take the example of the astronauts orbiting earth for a year. After that year, they would have travelled forward in time, maybe only a few seconds or minutes mind you, but that is still travelling in time. If they travelled in a space craft to lets say Jupiter and back, the difference in time would increase, the earth would have aged much more than they would have.

Rhudey, I haven't been here long, but from what I have already seen you are using the worst of all possible arguments for this forum - common sense supporting logic.

/ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You misunderstand me.

What I mean is that you cannot simply jump into a machine and press a button and travel to the future.

Of course it is possible "time-travel" when moving a extremely high velocities, but it is not "time-travel" in the normal sense of the word.

I hope I have made myself more clear this time.

I hope I have made myself more clear this time.

Not at all, I think it is very possible, all we need is a vehicle to travel fast enough and we could go to the future, unfortunately there is no way to get back at the moment. Please explain to me why it would be impossible.

Well, one draw back with travelling at such speeds...

...you would die.

What I am saying is you cannot travel to the future because, at least for you, your future hasn't taken place yet. This is a very confusing matter. Yes, the future has taken place. Yet it hasn't also, not for you anyway. I do not believe I can properly express what I am trying to say, unfortunatly.

I do understand what you are saying. And yes it is possible to travel to the future using some kind of machine that can travel at the correct speeds but it wouldn't really be time travel, as all that would happen is everybody would age and possibly die, while you remain as you were when you left your time. And the only way to get back would be to travel to a year when time travel to the past is possible. For instance, 2003.

I believe that travel into the future is also possible, if one was able to calculate all the variables into a machine to "arrive" at a particular place in time and space, it seems that such an individual could travel either direction.

And just because the future hasn't arrived yet...are we including events as a calculation in time travel? Assuming the Earth hasnt blown up in a mass tragedy, then the individual would just need to know location of the Earth and all corresponding data to "arrive" in the future.
I also believe that less of a risk travelling into the future. As is speculated about going into the past..what if you kill your grandfather..etc..

If you go into the future, it seems you wouldnt really be able to effect the timeline as much as you could by going into the past. At the present moment you would just vanish, and suddenly arrive at the future point. Who is to say that when reviewing the history of your life, that it did not include your dissappearance?

I also am of the opinion that speed of a vessel will not be a factor in any time travel voyage. I think it will be a construct that shifts via energy displacement, manipulating fields of various matter and energy to "travel" forward or backward along a timeline.

As a side note:

In reading alot of mythical stories, sometimes I wonder if perhpas that the colorfull individuals were perhaps time travellers. Some of the more powerful Kings and Emperors perhaps did not have as much talent or skill as credited, excepting knowledge from their original time period providing them an advantage. Leonardo DaVinci..perhaps was such an individual, if you have ever seen his maps drawn as though viewed from above...perhaps they were...

Also regarding his inventions, the drawings confined to using known materials, instead of suddenly revealing how to manufacture material not yet in existence at the time.

>>chronicpisstorian<<

Why insult chronohistorian? If he is as obvious as you are stating, why lower yourself to his level of posting? I actually am somewhat impressed at his tenacity, stubborness, and ability to "get your goat".
The arguments are endless against him, but has not phased him in the slightest. I have a sense of humor and enjoy laughing. My days are filled with stress, noise and demanding people...to read the postings of chronohistorian makes me smile and lightens the tension of the previous hours.

With all the chaos in the world today, a little fun in this forum doesnt seem so terrible. I for one am glad that he has not been banned, and it would be pretty sad to see a group of intellectuals such as yourselves get so rattled by someone like chronohistorian and retaliate against him. How many of you have your curiosity get the better of you and log in just to find out what Chronohistorian has posted since the last time?

You are actually quite right, I made a cheap shot. A bit like the 27 pages of them that Chronic has left behind him. And he neither threatens nor amuses me. I am sick of his spamming and the interference with what I was hoping would be a relatively straightforward and serious-minded board. Doesn't mean I don't want to have fun -- of course I do. But I dislike shysters who mislead others, and there is every chance that someone naive will not be lifted up by Chronic but rather upset or brought down. Unacceptable. He brings it on himself. If you post bull$h!t, there is every chance someone will call you on it.

-J

GO AWAY.

Mods - I hereby report Chronohistorian for spamming... again. He was not asked for any response he instead invited reprimand for pointlessly eliding a thread. He is clearly spamming, and attempting to hijack threads. This is not freedom of speech, it is destructive obsessive-compulsive behaviour. Set some boundaries and ban him.

And that is why this forum was created, for those like chronohistorian. For the more serious discussions we can post in the other forums. And someone who is naive enough to believe Chronohistorian...well...life must be really something for them and they probably have water front land in Florida or the Brooklyn Bridge as part of their possesions. If not, please leave your phone number and I'll make sure you get an excellent deal on either.