Can physical objects be cursed? True story.

Itheblaze1

Chrono Cadet
The promising Hollywood actor James Dean, was killed in a tragic motoring accident in September 1955. Afterwards, when the wreck was towed to a garage, the engine slipped and fell onto a mechanic, breaking both his legs. The engine was bought by a doctor, who put it into a racing car and was killed shortly afterwards. In the same race, another driver was killed in a car with the drive shaft from Dean's car. Dean's car was later repaired , and a fire broke out at the garage. It was displayed in Sacramento, and fell off its mount, breaking a teenager's hip. Then, in Oregon, the truck on which the car was mounted slipped and smashed into a shop front. Finally, in 1959, it broke into 11 pieces while sitting on stationary steel supports. Crazy! Sounds like Stephen King's "Christine".

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I'm still up in the air about cursed objects. I visited the "haunted" doll Robert before and I felt no presence whatsoever. Not even a tingle. I have no proof in either direction, so I remain open minded.

On a similar note, people think that King Tut's tomb is cursed. There are a lot of stories about that.

I think its possible for an object to take on a certain energy from its previous owner or those who were around it. I think this might be part of the reason I don't like Ouija boards. These things carry much negative energy from what I have felt around them. But as far as being cursed I don't know if that's necessarily true except maybe in our heads when we are around certain things. In my opinon object can carry inprints but I don't know if they can carry curses. Although, this is an odd story about that car, just like the whole story of all the tragedy that had befallen the Poltergeist films, this one did make me wonder if there was such a thing as a curse.

I do believe some objects can hold the essence of the owner and that it can be transferred. Mirrors in particular can be dangerous to people who are sensitive and some old mirrors I have seen, I have felt very uncomfortable around.

An old land lady of mine had an African medicine horn which I felt contained all the ailments of who it had 'cured'. I refused to touch it as it felt wrong, but I do think it carried a lot of power and also bad vibes.

Whenever I face questions like this, I like to think: If you could "curse" someone or something from a distance, wouldn't that be the perfect military weapon? Wouldn't someone have already cursed Obama and he would have died from a engine falling to his hip or something?

Here in Brazil, African cults are very popular. It's very common to see on the streets, flyers of "pais-de-santo" or "mães-de-santo" (male and female priests of said religions) saying they can bring a loved one back, get you a job and sometimes do "black magic" and harm someone else. Dang, if this was possible in the real world, wouldn't it be much more effective to use these things in a military context?

Why invade another country? Just get a dozen Candomblé priests and have them curse the shit out of the enemy.

Of course, there's always the possibility that maybe this is already happening and Obama just happen to have stronger "cursers" to counter all the curses being put on him. Who knows.

Logical explanation. 100+ years ago we did not know what radiation was. So if the item 100 years ago was radioactive the own of the object would get sick and possibly die. 200+ years ago we did not know what germs or bacteria was, so again the same thing. And item with germs would make a person sick. So the people would say the item was cursed.

Possibly there are things that cause sickness which we have not discovered yet.

I often wonder myself if we can infuse objects with certain energies. There were certain items I felt the need to get rid of and it was partly because of bad memories, but more often it seemed like bad things would happen when I wore/used them. But then again, correlation does not imply causation and all that. Most likely it was pure superstition on my part.

Why would anyone buy an engine that crushed another man's legs? Weird, anyways this reminds me of something I saw on the weather channel about Moll Dyer and how she was chased from her home by a angry mob and she died leaning on a rock (which they say you can still see her hand prints on) and if anyone comes close to the rock they will become sick to the point of death.

Its interesting what can happen to objects.

It is possible, in India there are some places where people use evil spirits to harm ones who they believe did them wrong and also it can take lives and would be wise not to mess with objects even if you don't believe. In my country Fiji people use voodoo and do these evil things in the villages which are far away and instead of being good people use spirits who would want something in return for doing the work for them. I reckon that, it can be hard to know at time when something is cursed and also quite bad as well if someone touches it.

Whenever I face questions like this, I like to think: If you could "curse" someone or something from a distance, wouldn't that be the perfect military weapon? Wouldn't someone have already cursed Obama and he would have died from a engine falling to his hip or something?Here in Brazil, African cults are very popular. It's very common to see on the streets, flyers of "pais-de-santo" or "mães-de-santo" (male and female priests of said religions) saying they can bring a loved one back, get you a job and sometimes do "black magic" and harm someone else. Dang, if this was possible in the real world, wouldn't it be much more effective to use these things in a military context?

Why invade another country? Just get a dozen Candomblé priests and have them curse the shit out of the enemy.

Of course, there's always the possibility that maybe this is already happening and Obama just happen to have stronger "cursers" to counter all the curses being put on him. Who knows.
This is definitely the truth. The modern era might never have occurred the way it has due to lack of guns, because why invent a point and click death machine when you wouldn't have to be in the same country as the man you're going to kill?

Superstition plays an important part of the human experience, and I believe 'cursed' objects are those that are objects from the Uncanny Valley. Mirrors are said to be dangerous, but it's more likely the reflective surface is distorted causing subtle deviations in the image from what is real, and while not visibly apparent causes the subconscious to become alert. Anything that's abnormal, even by the slightest degree, can set off your paranoia and fight-or-flight response.

Any object can cause those feelings if the factors are at play, and they can even change from person to person. James Dean died in that car because he was reckless, not because the car was cursed, and any events surrounding that car could be caused by the legend itself, not by the curse the legend surrounds.

This is definitely the truth. The modern era might never have occurred the way it has due to lack of guns, because why invent a point and click death machine when you wouldn't have to be in the same country as the man you're going to kill?Superstition plays an important part of the human experience, and I believe 'cursed' objects are those that are objects from the Uncanny Valley. Mirrors are said to be dangerous, but it's more likely the reflective surface is distorted causing subtle deviations in the image from what is real, and while not visibly apparent causes the subconscious to become alert. Anything that's abnormal, even by the slightest degree, can set off your paranoia and fight-or-flight response.

Any object can cause those feelings if the factors are at play, and they can even change from person to person. James Dean died in that car because he was reckless, not because the car was cursed, and any events surrounding that car could be caused by the legend itself, not by the curse the legend surrounds.
Exactly. Superstition is for when you don't know how something works and you need an explanation for it. Then, you invent an explanation. But, since we already know how a lot of things work, we don't need superstition anymore. For some reason, people seem to neglect this fact. For instance, mirrors: we already know how they work! What they can do or can't do. There's no mystery there.