Discrepancies in Memories: Mandela Effect or Many Worlds Theory?

Prof

Temporal Novice
The topic of the Mandela Effect seems relevant to this discussion. Traditionally, it involves a group of people remembering an incorrect 'fact.'

However, what about instances where details are recalled both incorrectly and correctly?

Example: Torey Canyon Disaster

When I was young, I vividly remember the Torey Canyon oil tanker disaster. I used to rush home from junior school to watch John Craven’s Newsround where the RAF were bombing the ship to burn off the oil. I remember my home's black and white TV and the carpet. However, I was born in 1969 and the event occurred in 1965, a discrepancy noted by a relative of mine.

I have also been involved in newsworthy events where my recollection slightly deviates from public records. Could these discrepancies be evidence of changes in reality or support the Many Worlds Theory?

I do apologise for some terrible spelling in my first post. I am going to blame a combination of auto correct and new varifocal glasses.

But some of the discrepancies in my memory and also in other people who were involved in the events are quite staggering.

I did mention the Torey Canyon above, and I guess that the obvious rational explanation is that I must have seen a documentary at some point, and memory played tricks on me.

But there are other events… So, I spent quite a while overseas in a country that was going through some hard times. In fact myself and my wife at the time were preparing to flee a country that looked as though it was going to descend into civil war. Fortunately we managed to get tickets to leave the country by air, in a civilised manner. So usual thing, we arranged a leaving party at one of our favourite drinking dens, and invited our friends around for a last night party. But the airline called, offered us an upgrade and also the chance to leave a day earlier, we accepted, and told our friends not to go to the bar that night. When we got to UK, we made it to my family home, and we all sat down to eat. Then BBC news ran a report of a terrible attack on the bar that we would have all been at, with many dead. My ex wife remembers the events exactly as I do. And some of our friends who would have been there remember it exactly as we do.
But the historical records show that something happened, but not to the level that was reported by the BBC at the time. 4 dead, not a dozen.

But as someone who has spent over 30 years working in disaster zones around the world, I am not one to miss-remember events. So I do wonder where the discrepancy comes in. I find this a fascinating topic, and would like to work out how these two conflicting recollections happen. And there are others as well, I have stood in streets that some quite famous photographs have been taken for newspaper articles, and have seen details which are either far worse that the photos in the newspapers, and an equal number which are absolutely not as severe as the news images. How?

I believe the whole term “mandela effect” is a bit insulting honestly. But I do have explanation for most of it: Revisionism and manipulation. Sometimes even limited international releases, sometimes just genuine mistakes that crept up into public conciousness. I have seen instances of this myself and could even track down where the problem began. This is often case with movies even games. Sometimes there are releases that are less known and get replaced by newer “prints” or limited editions. This alone of course causes those “mandela effects”. But of course that’s not all. There are also big scale coverup events and such.

I suppose I am lucky I have a bit of a stronger mind. But I was subjected to outright memory wipes, white-room torture and such following certain events. Most people wouldn’t remember anything from it. I used to have near perfect photographic memory and after what they did to me in 2014 I lost this ability. Though I have been recovering more and more memories lately including my childhood. The odd thing is I always had a big memory loss in the years ending with 4. And the next year is coming and I fear that someone or something will take me away again to the 10 years purge, maybe because they’re afraid I will remember something or break the walls they constructed in my mind. And they might have a point, however by doing this they made sure it entered into my subconscious mind and I was never able to deal with it properly, with whatever trauma it was that caused me to have memory loss in early childhood. And I do have an idea what it was thanks to nightmares I had as a kid, but still…

But I did find odd behavior from my mom after I returned back to czech republic from the netherlands. She was…very different even compared to everything and well…she also remembered some events differently like she even told me at one point that I used to be in incubator as a little kid, but that can’t be true because from other people I was told in the past and most likely even from her, that I was born a healthy child. There were also other weird strange things and paradoxes she claimed about my birth. I think she got false memory, I know from experience she is capable of having her mind manipulated or even induced hallucinations. I managed to induce a psychotic state/halucination on her several times. So I cannot trust her word that I’m even her kid. Especially when I know that my GP was a secret agent. And there was a web of them monitoring me/surrounding me when I was growing up. They also used me for few covert experiments that were cloaked in regular examination terms. Including MK Ultra-like remote viewing briefly.

Once I became close to the age of consent, they tried to outright have me eliminated because I was deemed a security risk I guess. This included civil courts and false accusations (and later after my return even criminal courts and also some false accusations).
I don’t have the evidence for everything I’m saying (but I do have evidence for my claims about secret agents though and I can present this). Umm…how do you attach attachments here? its all…umm graphical here.

The Mandela effect fascinates me doubly, as I have experienced it and although I am cool with the fact that my memory could be flawed. I had some flip flops (words suddenly were one way I am not used to then changed back) within days and my proof changed with it. I would love to know what that is about and also why people get irrationally angry or weird when talking about the possibility of the Mandela effect being true. The anger I see online lurking and the rare times I have brought it up in person it is met so quickly with such rage or indifference unlike any other subject I’ve ever seen, also why I rarely bring it up.

Well...sometimes people can get angry when things become annoying or too uncomprehensible, or if it means their world might shatter or what they perceive it to be. I also find it odd that the password I used no longer worked and I kept the password in a file basically to make sure i don't get it wrong. I can't call that mandela effect but something obviously happened and maybe someone is trying to prevent me from posting here at all.
The Mandela effect fascinates me doubly, as I have experienced it and although I am cool with the fact that my memory could be flawed. I had some flip flops (words suddenly were one way I am not used to then changed back) within days and my proof changed with it. I would love to know what that is about and also why people get irrationally angry or weird when talking about the possibility of the Mandela effect being true. The anger I see online lurking and the rare times I have brought it up in person it is met so quickly with such rage or indifference unlike any other subject I’ve ever seen, also why I rarely bring it up.

Well...sometimes people can get angry when things become annoying or too uncomprehensible, or if it means their world might shatter or what they perceive it to be. I also find it odd that the password I used no longer worked and I kept the password in a file basically to make sure i don't get it wrong. I can't call that mandela effect but something obviously happened and maybe someone is trying to prevent me from posting here at all.
Thank you for your response. Good point.
For what it’s worth my password no longer worked either and I had to change it, i know they were working on the site recently so electronic error and maybe it happened to everyone?

My ex wife remembers the events exactly as I do. And some of our friends who would have been there remember it exactly as we do.
But the historical records show that something happened, but not to the level that was reported by the BBC at the time. 4 dead, not a dozen.
A few weeks ago all of the legacy news services plus CNN and MSNBC jumped on the same bandwagon and reported as a matter of fact that Israel bombed a certain hospital in Gaza resulting in the total collapse of the hospital and at least 500 dead. Less than 24 hours later "other than legacy news services" went to the hospital and filmed a hole in the hospital parking lot and a few cars burned. There were a few dead and a few injuries. Sad and true but not a collapsed hospital with 500 women and children dead as originally reported. Then it turned out that it wasn't even the Israelis who bombed the parking lot; it was Hamas. A Hamas missile landed short and hit the parking lot. For those idiots at those news services blaming Israel sounded a lot better to them than telling the truth.

That's how you can remember something happening because you either personally witnessed it or had trusted associates report their direct observation yet "the news" has a different story.

Like you I've also been involved in dozens of incidents that were reported in the news. Guess what. Not once, not even one time, did the news get "it" completely right. Reporters are lazy, they are more interested in getting the report out first than they are getting it correct and they also report what they wished happened rather than what they observed. I've observed many "demonstrations" where the evening news made it appear that there were dozens of angry protesters. What really happened, you ask? I'd watch them stop the demonstration, get the 8 to 10 people who were this "mass uprising" and have them huddle close together in two or three rows deep. Then the reporter would have the cameraperson shoot the scene as a close-up. The brave reporter would get right in there, close and personal, to interview the "leader" while encouraging the other 7 to 9 people to do some silly chant like, "The people together will never be defeated" or some such. The next shot would be, still in close up, the demonstrators, carrying their protest signs marching up and down the sidewalk. What they didn't reveal is they formed a very small circle on the sidewalk, almost all of which was off camera, and they marched in a circle. On the evening news it looked like a rather large crowd - because they would never show a long shot. Back in the studio they would loop and multi-track the chant while adding a bit of squeeze here on one track, a little EQ on another track in the end make 8-10 voices sound like 40-50 voices.

The legacy news will lie to you. Trust your memory and the memory of your friends. Then ask yourself why would the news, probably controlled by the government in a country facing civil war, report the incident as somewhat minor ("only" 4 dead) instead of an entire club blown up with significant casualties? You know the answer.

Last edited: