motion is relative

The_One

Chrono Cadet
hey, I was just wondering if anyone had an idea on how to find out absolute motion, or the point where you stop moving in any direction. There is no way to tell this right now, since we have no sure backround object. We dont know if the universe is moving at 30005838120 miles per hour! It is strange, not knowing if your moving or standing still...

The_One

Exactly, you don't know if you're moving when there's no surrounding, resistance or gravity around you.

what was the point of the post? Who cares?

honestly if you don't "care" like you say you do why did you post?

In my mind the best teacher is the one who learns the taught, it is difficult to grasp but I like to call this person, "student."

As for the best way to achive absolute motion, you may want to lay down on the floor very still and not move at all nor think about that which is movement. The earth will then stop moving....but only for a moment.

If there is ONE BIG UNIVERSE and no other in an infinite space, then it can't be moving, so motion IS relative. Therefore, there is no point to asking if we are moving or not, because it is impossible to tell.

Oh boy, thinking about your question gives me a headache. /ttiforum/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Linear motion requires a reference frame to be defined; time, velocity, occurance is all relative to your deffinition of the reference. Eienstein in his book of "Relativity" states: "Suppose two lightning bolts strike a train track simultaneously; but then, what does that mean? If I am stadning CLOSER to one than the OTHER, the speed of light makes it appear that the CLOSE bolt strikes FIRST..."

Rotational motion, OTOH, is absolute --- no reference need be defined, no relative matter considered; as a body rotates it experiences centrifugal force; thus there IS a concept as "zero rotational velocity", but no concept as "zero linear velocity"...

If mass is modeled as a QUANTIY existing at a POINT, then the rotational equation is dimensionless...