Mystery Time Stamps on micro sd card.

Mylo.X.

Quantum Scribe
Just to repeat myself, I do not believe we are being visited by time-travellers. If there is anybody who knows about tablets/memory cards/technology stuff, then can you explain this?

A couple of days ago, I formatted a micro sd card to use in a tablet. Once formatted, I used software program called airdorid to wirelessly transfer files to my tablet from my laptop. When I opened up the folder for the external sd card, I noticed there was several empty folders already there....the strange thing though, when I hovered over them, each folder had a date such as 07/17/2054 etc...... just wondering why are these empty folders on the micro sd card and why have they been time-stamped that way? I will include 4 screen shots.... any explanation will be appreciated.View attachment 55 View attachment 56 View attachment 57 View attachment 58 View attachment 55 View attachment 55 View attachment 56 View attachment 56 View attachment 57 View attachment 58

Just to repeat myself, I do not believe we are being visited by time-travellers. If there is anybody who knows about tablets/memory cards/technology stuff, then can you explain this?A couple of days ago, I formatted a micro sd card to use in a tablet. Once formatted, I used software program called airdorid to wirelessly transfer files to my tablet from my laptop. When I opened up the folder for the external sd card, I noticed there was several empty folders already there....the strange thing though, when I hovered over them, each folder had a date such as 07/17/2054 etc...... just wondering why are these empty folders on the micro sd card and why have they been time-stamped that way? I will include 4 screen shots.... any explanation will be appreciated.View attachment 80 View attachment 81 View attachment 82 View attachment 83 View attachment 80 View attachment 80 View attachment 81 View attachment 81 View attachment 82 View attachment 83
Maybe you changed your tablet date to 2054?

Solar Flares dun it.

Actually - It's difficult to trust digital 'stuff' with unexpected ..um...effects. There is a 77'7" tall cross in our city here and there are photographs with dozens of orbs - said to be 'angels'. The description mentioned that for some reason the 'angel orbs' only show up when digital camera's are used. Using a digital camera myself, know that sometimes the sensor goes wacky for whatever reasons - I have no idea, but I get the oddest photographs as a result.

So, with your file dates, the first guess I would offer up is it is just a glitch in the electronics / software. But one never knows, sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. What would have been awesome is if something was in those files. Hmm...maybe ?

I found it all very odd. Most of the files/folders were time-stamped with dates in the future, but a few were time stamped with dates from the 80's and 90's..... what is even odder is that coincidentally, one of the dates is the day and month of my wifes birthday. I really hope that my new tablet or new micro sd card has not got a virus, would be really displeased. But what else could it be?

First option:

There are several formatting possible. Format your card with each one of the formats and try copy - paste something in it through your tablet until you hit the correct one :) Perhaps it will work.

Second option:

I had a flash drive once, that before to die completely was producing such strange name files and folders. Is it possible, that your card desires to go to the best place in the universe (to the paradise, passing through the trash can)? :) If you have some important information there, copy - paste it somewhere else, as soon as possible, before it goes in the beyond :) together with your card. Also don't place valuable information on this card before to be sure what is it all about.

Third option:

The next time, that I got the similar strange results was when I tried to place a 64 Gb microSD card in my brand new, last model Samsung 2SIM smartphone (their model with the largest touch-screen). After each turn on - turn off of the phone, it was "preparing the card", and it prepared it so nicely, that the information on the entire card was in a mess, totally fucked - up, and renamed into similar files and folders with unreadable names. It appeared, that my Samsung smartphone could work with a 64 Gb card only if it also is Samsung!!!! Try to place the same size card in the tablet, which card to be made from the manufacturer of your tablet.[DOUBLEPOST=1411811739][/DOUBLEPOST]PS. Is it possible you to place in your tablet a card, which is larger, that your tablet is designed for? For example, if your tablet can read 16 Gb card, are you trying to use a 64 Gb one?

Good point. I'm not sure if my Samsung tablet had a maximum capacity of 8 or 16 mb. I just brought a 32 mb micro sd card, assumming it would be fine. The files must have appeared after formatting, as it was a brand new micro sd card. I need to search the net and research if this is a common problem. I must say, I found it very intriguing, to say the least.

Format it without preserving information. Full format. It may take longer, but it pays off. Use your computer, not your tablet for preformating.

Gnostic wasn't transfering files. He used an App

I found it all very odd. Most of the files/folders were time-stamped with dates in the future, but a few were time stamped with dates from the 80's and 90's..... what is even odder is that coincidentally, one of the dates is the day and month of my wifes birthday. I really hope that my new tablet or new micro sd card has not got a virus, would be really displeased. But what else could it be?
Just a glitch in the signal.

Gnostic wasn't transfering files. He used an AppJust a glitch in the signal.
i've not even got to transfer files yet. These files just appeared out of "nowhere" once I had formatted the sd card on my tablet.

Milo;

Have you tried another new card to see if the problem repeats. Each card has a little file in it so it knows what to do. If the program in there was corrupted somehow that could be why you have odd dates on files or folders. Some cards have to create folders with a random date, maybe even a future one. It's all in that little bit of programing it comes with. Hope this helps some. I'm no expert by the way, this is just my guess.

The way the filenames are scrambled, it's almost definitely a problem with the sd card. It could be as simple as a bad electrical connection (make sure it's inserted properly when you format) or as bad as a ruined card.

Did the files appear before or after using the wireless transfer program?

There is nothing preventing a future date from being written to a file, and Android is the glitchiest piece of technology I have ever had the displeasure of using.

There is nothing preventing a future date from being written to a file, and Android is the glitchiest piece of technology I have ever had the displeasure of using.
I'm admittedly both a member of the Android master race and a lowly Android peasant - I can vouch for things having a propensity to fuck up once in a while.

@IroncladMarshmallow is correct about the bad connection thing too - Especially if you jammed it in there (that's what she said), the connectors were dirty or the SD card sustained a little damage.

The way the filenames are scrambled, it's almost definitely a problem with the sd card. It could be as simple as a bad electrical connection (make sure it's inserted properly when you format) or as bad as a ruined card.Did the files appear before or after using the wireless transfer program?
I formatted the sd card in the tablet, then opened up airdroid on my laptop in order to transfer files from laptop to the tablet. From the airdroid program on my laptop, I could see the "mysterious" files on the sd card (before the transference of any of my own files). So either:
1) the files were already on the brand new micro sd card (preformatting)

2) there was some form of corruption during the formatting process that caused files to appear.[DOUBLEPOST=1411860404][/DOUBLEPOST]Thanks for your help everybody. I'm gonna delete the files later in the week and give it another go (and check for virus on the tablet).

In my experience, some devices "arm" a newly inserted memory card with a folder structure and even with files meant for the device's internal use. Many of these files are typically hidden when browsing card files on the original device, much in the same way that files on a Mac that begin with a period are hidden in the "Finder", but then show up if you were to open the same file in Windows Explorer (not IE, just opening a desktop folder).

Are you willing to perhaps upload the files to a service like Mediafire or here in the forum (is that possible?) so that we may download and open in a hex editor? Then we can see what the fsck (see link) is going on. (I hate using bad language, but I digress...)

I have had brand new sd cards which already had files and folders on them also. I suspect the workers where the cards were made might be having a little fun in the quality control testing of the cards before shipment. they have to use files and folders to test the transfer rates of the cards so the files would be made up and possibily named anything the worker could come up with.

I formatted the sd card in the tablet ...
Man, didn't I told you to format the microSD card OUTSIDE your tablet, using a PC for example, format it FULL, with each one of the several possible format types and try to copy - paste something with your tablet after each formating.
Do that and report the results :)

Mylo.X., what happened with your SDcard problem? Did you solve it, or maybe you forgot it?
I deleted the mystery files, but could not format the sd card in my tablet again, so I use the sd card in my dslr, where there are no problems. I have since purchased a 8mb card for the tablet, formatted it and its working fine with the tablet. Maybe the tablet just doesn't like 32 mb cards. lol