Seeking Advice on Books Related to Time Travel

RTT

Temporal Novice
Hi everyone:

I?m interested in reading books related to time travel physics, but I don?t want to bite off more than I can chew. So, I?ve got a few questions on some of the ?easier? books in this genre?

(1) I?m wondering, between Black Holes and Time Warps, or The Future of Spacetime, which of the two should I read first? A while back, when I posted a message saying that I was interested in reading non-technical books on relativity, etc., primarily because I was interested in time travel physics, as opposed to being interested in relativity for relativity?s sake, someone suggested that I read The Future of Spacetime by Stephen Hawking, et al. The responder DID warn me that it?s not for the beginner, however. Later, when I read a review of this book in Scientific American, it said that this book was a ?hodgepodge?, and that a person who wanted to get the real skinny on time travel science and the future of spacetime would be better off reading Black Holes and Time Warps by Kip Thorne. I?ve browsed through this book at a few bookstores and it doesn?t look particularly scary ? I didn?t see any convoluted equations, etc., when I flipped through it. HOWEVER, I?ve seen a few reviews of this book on the Web that say this book is pretty dense stuff.

Why might someone who reads these books carefully have a lot of trouble with it? Although I understand that these books, especially Thorne?s book, aren?t exactly summer-at-the-beach reading even for very smart people, I?m not sure why a person who reads these books slowly but surely and looks up concepts he doesn?t understand couldn?t grasp them. If there?s something I should know about the difficulty of these books before diving in, I?d appreciate it if someone would let me know.

(2) Why is Brian Greene?s The Elegant Universe listed in the bibliography of Paul Davies? How to Build a Time Machine? Although I can see a little relevance, I?m not sure why he put that book alongside others that seemed a lot more obviously related to time travel.

(3) Between John Gribbin?s two books Unveiling the Edge of Time: Black Holes, White Holes, Wormholes and In Search of the Edge of Time: Black Holes, White Holes, Wormholes, which one should I read first? And would it even be worth it to read both books (i.e., might the books be redundant)?

(4) How about Igor Novikov?s book The River of Time? How would this fare as a basic time travel book (i.e., too easy, too difficult, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I recommend:
michio kaku: HYPERSPACE,BEYOND EINSTIEN,QUANTUM FIELD THEORY,INTRODUCTION TO SUPERSTRINGS

also john gribbin :IN SEARCH OF SCHRODINGER'S CAT
and SCHRODINGERS KITTENS.

Try to search for some stuff based on string theory and the newer M-theory.

Also a good sci-fi book is prof.Gregory Benfords famous TIMESCAPE
which is a good theoretical account on tachyons and messages being sent to the past.

And any books by john gribbin are worth buying IMO.

Dear RTT (book-o-phobic at large)

Just read them all. They don't bite. If you don't want to buy them, well that is what the public library is for. Time travel is a mind trip so check section 133.xx too.

Look up quantum physics too, it's time related.

Before wasting a lot of time on conflicting ideas of the nature of time, you might want to check out the site below. There is only ONE true time traveler and you might want to get a handle on how HE views time. Without being too redundant, let me say just one more "time", you cannot go into the past, or the future--only into the NOW.

ttp://www.ldolphin.org/time.html

<hr size="1" width="80%" color="#000099" align="left">Zerubbabel--The Seed of Babylon

I have to go now:

I have to go back to school in the fall and my step mother wants me to go to Saint Martins Accadamey for the rest of the Summer.

I'm not allowed to do that much work on the computer any more, with the 10th grade comeing up, "but I'm allowed to watch".

My mom had a good time reading all your post too.
Some things that you people said, she found intresting.

Please take care all, creedo299
happy.gif

>
>And any books by john gribbin
>are worth buying IMO.

Do you think it would be worth it to study both John Gribbin's IN SEARCH OF THE EDGE OF TIME and UNVEILING THE EDGE OF TIME, or would that be redundant?

Thanks again!

RE: I have to go now:

Creedo,

I see your back at the door at Bobs house!

I thought I made it clear that you were not invited or welcomed!

You have no reign or controle round and about these quarters! Its hightly and heavily guarded! They will rip your soul to shreads! There is so much good workings going on there that the dark spirits are hissing and waging war against the outside compounds of this domain and all manor of evil that is manifested and congregated there along with your presents will be inflicted apon you!

This is a battle that you are to weak to be caught in!

CAT...

Why is it you americans dont know the diference between:
two,to and too.

Ive yet to find a message board where it is used correctly.

Ok english 101:

"im going TO the shops TO buy TWO mars bars,ill bring them back and you can eat one TOO"

LMAO
tongue.gif

Hey, hey, hey!!!

How about typing 101!

And what happend to your capital letter and comma at the beginning of your sentance? And how about the space after your comma between "bars,ill"

<<"im going TO the shops TO buy TWO mars bars,ill bring them back and you can eat one TOO">>

Maybe you should call Dan Qualle for some help!
happy.gif

CAT...

Yeah i aint perfect,i was just taking the piss mate,dont stress.<hr size="1" width="80%" color="#000099" align="left">"Who are you?" ...
"We are explorers in the further regions of experience. Demons to some. Angels to others."

natas'

Strange number (alphanumeric) coincidence!!!!

>>>Why don't we know the difference between to two and too?<<<

I was sitting here giving too much consideration to your nit picky post when I looked down and spotted exactly three tooth-picks on the floor. They cought my attention cause they really shouldn't have been there.

*TOO-TH* picks get it? Thats a)to-th pick, b)tooth pick, c) twoth pick.

When my baby teeth fall out will mommy and daddy teeth take their place?

Hmmmmmn, so i say: to,too and two,and somehow you manage to relate that to finding three tooth picks on the floor?

Yes,well...i think we all have something to say on the matter,but the best thing you could offer would be silence!.....when you have quiet finnished being mad perhaps youll be able to offer something usefull,yes?

grin.gif
<hr size="1" width="80%" color="#000099" align="left">"Who are you?" ...
"We are explorers in the further regions of experience. Demons to some. Angels to others."

I thought the tooth pick tip was quit useful actually!

Good observation Shadow!

It proves a good point! THAT NATAS HAS WOOD FOR BRAINS!!! YES?

CAT...

Yes it may be wood,but it suffers woodworm so therefore there is some intelligence in random pockets!

<hr size="1" width="80%" color="#000099" align="left">"Who are you?" ...

Ive got to say CAT that it seems like most of the people here are 5 cans short of a six pack,
personally id choose stupidity over insanity.<hr size="1" width="80%" color="#000099" align="left">"Who are you?" ...