September 2024

Re: Let\'s Review

Kanigo,

Great post. As I was writing my post last night it did occur to me that one gold coin on a lab desk could also be cloned infinitely similar to the cloning of the gadget.

Thanks for thinking the paradox through.

Lyndzee,I have some questions for you:

-8 Bilions in 2024?? Wow, that's a lot of people! You are growing faster than expected by the UN. Isn't overpopulation a big topic in your time? How are you going to deal with it?

-What can you tell us about the ITER? Is it finished? Any news about nuclear fusion?

-What is the main video storage format in 2024? In 2008 we have the newest Blu-ray Discs, is the BD still in the stores? Additionally, they are now working in a new format called Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD), will it be the replacement of the BDs?

-How is the home video industry in 2024? In other words, what do you do when you want to watch a movie at home? (I mean, apart from the TV channels)

-Do you have physical videoclubs in 2024 yet?

-Do you have physical bookstores yet in 2024? If so, Has printing on demand at the point of sale became the usual form of purchasing a book?

-What about the old dream of "flying cars"? I know you have already answered a couple of posters with a laconic "No flying cars", but came on Lyndzee, even in 2008 there are a number of companies working in developing it, so please, make my day and tell us good news about it. Any prototype in use? Not even for the rich people or for the police or flying ambulances? Whatever additional information will be appreciated.

-One more question about Spain, do you remember if the basque terrorist organization ETA is still active?

Thanks in advance!

No, overpopulation is not really a problem.

ITER has not been completed as of yet. Construction on the project was halted a number of times. I believe it should be completed within a year or two.

Video storage is mainly on DVD and Blu-Ray. Because most consumers do not really see a major difference between the two, it has taken quite a while for Blu-Ray to catch on. Only now (after the price for the Blu-Ray DVDs and Blu-Ray players has dropped) has Blu-Ray began to catch up with DVD. I would say that the market is still primarily DVD though. A large number of people also use set-top boxes where they can either store purchased movies or stream rented movies from. (Looks like I just asnwered your next question!)

I am not sure what you are referring to regarding "physical videoclubs"...can you elaborate?

Of course we have physical bookstores! Books are as popular as ever! I don't think the way to purchase a book has changed at all in decades!

Sorry, no flying cars. I'm sure a few "hover vehicles" have been developed and are sporatically in use somewhere, but I don't see a time in the near future where flying cars would actually work in society.

Yes, although small, ETA is still in existence.

L. Grummond

RainManTime,

Even after I directly answer your questions, you continue to try to make an arguement out of them. You say "DARPA is all about military projects!" - I say "That is not the case in 2024." - You say "But, DARPA is all about military projects!" - You say "DARPA doesn't have Co-Directors!" - I say "DARPA does now have Co-Directors, a position which provides me the ability to work with ITI through DARPA." - You say "But, DARPA doesn't have Co-Directors!" What more can I say to you? You are quite stubborn and apparently think that as time passes everything remains the same and things don't change?? Even after I tell you that part of your arguement (while it may have been valid if we were discussing DARPA in 2008 terms) is no longer true, you continue to push it! That is what all of your previous replies have been. Anyone in this forum can find out for themselves that DARPA has undergone a number of changes in its priorities during the last few decades and DARPA has simply gone through another transition between 2008 and 2024 (specifically in 2015).

I believe that this back and forth between you and I (and in some cases Darby) is wasting my time and the time of people in this forum. I would much rather focus on answering questions and having a conversation than argue. If you believe me to be a hoax, that is fine, but I will no longer continue this drawn out back and forth with you. I have already directly answered your arguements on OpSec, InfoSec, overall DARPA security guidelines, etc. etc. etc. but you simply ignore them and continue your same arguement. I don't know what else to tell you except that you will apparently have to be one of the people in this forum who will have to await the events and changes I have mentioned here before you realize you are wrong and I am right. I will leave it at that.

So I repeat: If you think I am a hoax, that is fine with me, but do not clutter this thread with arguements and accusations and waste the little time I have hear to speak with others. As time passes you will see events and changes I have previously mentioned come to pass (NASA, the ITI, the future Presidential Elections, the Olympics, etc. etc.) and will then see that I am not a hoax. And if you do make it to 2024, which I'm sure you will, then perhaps we shall speak again.

L. Grummond

Darby,

No you and RMT have gone so far as to start a conversation in paradoxes as an attempt to discredit me?? You are just grabbing at anything you can aren't you? Paradoxes are basic time travel conversation! I can name a few myself! Anyway, I simply wanted to refer you to my last reply to RMT as it may apply to you as well.

L. Grummond

Lyn,

I have some questions for you...

1. what exactly do you mean by "brief" ?

............ any particular date when you will be leaving ?

2. Similar situation of both our times ?

............ wouldn't happen to be a "Exit Strategy" situation, would it ?

KerrTexas,

By brief I was referring to the relatively short period of time I will be here (60 days from my arrival).

By similar situation I was referring to the Election.

L. Grummond

I think you may have misunderstood what I was referring to when I said "yes, this is what I have just stated." What I was referring to was your statement about "Surely the fact that you have written the posts now means they exist now, tomorrow, next week, next year, and in 2024." The simple answer to why I could not see this thread before I left in 2024 is that there had been no travel to 2008 at the time and therefore no posts.

Errrr, if as you state there is 0 divergence then your posts should exist in 2024 before you left because they exist now, there was a time traveller posting in 2008, people in 2023 knew that so why didn't you in 2024. But then you didn't answer the question Please explain what happens to the posts between now and 2024

If the posts were not available before you travelled then there must be divergence... something is different. Therefore every bit of information you have given and every effect you have had will cause more and more divergence. So, you will return to a world very different than the one you left... Unless of course your story is just that... a story.

Bottom Line: You are NOT answering my questions...even after I re-quoted them as you asked (surprise! surprise!).

You say "DARPA is all about military projects!"

Lie. Prove it. Show me precisely where I said that (instead of manufacturing a statement that claims I said that).

You say "DARPA doesn't have Co-Directors!" - I say "DARPA does now have Co-Directors, a position which provides me the ability to work with ITI through DARPA."

And again you DUCK and COVER! I will now spell it out as a very specific question, which anyone from DOD should know the answer to:

<font color="red"> Question: Do you know why nowhere in the DoD are there management titles with the descriptor "co-" attached to them? Do you realize the impact to such a title on Responsibility, Accountability, and Authority? (Another common military theme) [/COLOR]

You are quite stubborn and apparently think that as time passes everything remains the same and things don't change?? Even after I tell you that part of your arguement (while it may have been valid if we were discussing DARPA in 2008 terms) is no longer true, you continue to push it!

Because all you provide are your words, and absolutely NO substantiating evidence for even why stupid titles like "co-director" would ever be used in the DoD, given it clearly dilutes lines of accountability (one element of RAA).

I believe that this back and forth between you and I (and in some cases Darby) is wasting my time and the time of people in this forum.

Another pronouncement of truth by an (alleged) Guvmint Agent? It is a fact that I know AT LEAST 3 other people engaged in this thread who would claim that this is NOT a waste of their time. You see, not everyone is willing to blindly accept what you say. Some people in this world push, prod, and look for validation of claims.

I have already directly answered your arguements on OpSec, InfoSec, overall DARPA security guidelines, etc. etc. etc. but you simply ignore them and continue your same arguement.

I ignore them not only because they are patently incorrect, but <font color="red">I even show how your answers are incoherent with respect to your own words![/COLOR] I have exposed you as a two-faced liar. You just don't want to admit it.

I don't know what else to tell you except that you will apparently have to be one of the people in this forum who will have to await the events and changes I have mentioned here before you realize you are wrong and I am right. I will leave it at that.

Even though I do not like Obama, I am almost looking forward to an Obama victory just to be able to pin yet another aspect of your hoax on you.

So I repeat: If you think I am a hoax, that is fine with me, but do not clutter this thread with arguements and accusations and waste the little time I have hear to speak with others.

I would ask you again to stop making edicts and demands as if you are an arbitor of free speech. Moreover, all you have to do is IGNORE me and my posts. It is that simple.

Welcome to America and welcome to free speech.
RMT

Just a post.

It just does not happen that way.

But on a lighter note, Ashley in the neighborhood who is 4 or 5 years old is going to call me Alburt, and that is the end of that.

So those type are looking, learning, and asking questions in a sense while starting to go to school.

What is going on with the markets is what happens with a free capitalistic society. The government interferring with the financial rescue will change that. This Country is running on a type of punishment type of system in a sense while denying what some of these people are doing - at least to me.

It just does not happen that way. Nice try, but it just won't work that way. As I looked at the News late last night (World News Now) it is clear that people are just talking and the brain is not registering exactly how they really do look when on the TV - digital or not.

God owns this Universe and this Planet.

Goodday!

I believe that this back and forth between you and I (and in some cases Darby) is wasting my time and the time of people in this forum. I would much rather focus on answering questions and having a conversation than argue.

L

Who's argueing??? They are all questions, some of which you answer and some of which you get a bit vague about... but, they are all just questions. I can see that RMT gets a bit stressed, but I suspect this is frustration because while you answer some parts of his questions you ignore others and to be fair, to say 'well that is just the way it is' is a bit weak really. Could you possibly explain why there was a need to create the'co-director' post? What was wrong with DARPA to require such a significant change?

You should know that there are many types of people posting here, all of them deserve to be answered as they are all members who have taken the time to listen to you. I think you should remember that before assuming anyone is wasting anyones time. To that end Lyndzee, I hope you are not wasting our time.

And what is going on in this world is only a small part of the talk on the Internet.

http://www.landsbanki.is/english/

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&amp;sid=azotRtS9KH8M&amp;refer=home

Well, I am not necessarily negative, but this world will be.

After hearing the news last night with the Lehman Bros. CEO talking to Congress -- it is probably certain that California has some goings on in that State also, let alone Iceland.

The point - it is now $850 billion according to some, but I really do not have the time to keep checking out this changing redundant behavior out of some people who think that they are smart there sitting in Congress of this USA.

It is just raining here, not a snowfall avalanche yet, but that may just occur with what is going on in this Country, let alone this Planet with the finances. It should be the end of easy credit and ridiculous spending sprees. If the financial rescue continues, Christmas may take on a new meaning and so will the new year. For some people, 2009 may begin a sort of Hell year with the finances played upon by people that in my opinon have no idea of what they are doing like passing the financial rescue plan, only what they are losing in the market place right now.

Well, time to pick myself up by the bootstraps and put in the background of the brain that the opinion is that nothing good is really going on at this time for some time in the future.

Oh, Russia is building new missiles to counteract the SDI, and that was also on the News.

DARPA simply isn't involved in space missions. Why would it be when there is already an international coalition dedicated to space travel and exploration? Although you may think that the time travel project could be directly applied to space travel due to a theory or two, it's not exactly that easy.

I didn't suppose that any of this was easy. We currently have no solution to GR that indicates that time travel in this universe is actually possible, with the exception of relativistic time travel to the future. We have no theory that indicates on the engineering level, let alone the physics level, just how to hit a specified target area of spacetime even if TT is possible. We don't have a theory that says that wormholes or exotic matter actually exist, especially in a stable form, in this universe. We don't have a theory that indicates that time travel via a wormhole (lined of course with exotic matter) with a mouth diameter less than several thousand kilometers can be safely traversed. We have no idea how to harness the energy of entire stars to fuel the reactions necessary to accomplish time travel. Current theory indicates that if any of this is actually possible we're centuries if not thousands of years away from having the ability to accomplish time travel. And within the context of your story you aren't coming from a distant future; Lyn #1 is alive today and Lyn #2 is coming from just a few years into the future. There's nothing in the literature than indicates that we're even close to the above referenced theories - each a building block that would have to be tackled in a specific order so that the next hurdle could be overcome. In your story they are apparently knocked off one at a time, peer reviewed, published, tested, verified and then developed into their full applied physics and applied engineering forms in the next few years. In so doing, exotic matter is not only discovered, we simultaneously discover how to mass produce, confine, contain and manupulate it in sufficient quantity so that it it can be applied to the project - even though all of humanity hasn't been able to produce in a controlled environment even a microgram of anti-matter in a century of particle physics research.

It's not at all easy.

But the full general Lorentz transformation - the one that includes all of the rotations and boosts that you don't find in pop-sci literature on SR - very clearly demonstrates that if (and it's a big if) you can actually construct a time machine it can be used directly as a space travel gadget just as easily as it can be used as a time travel gadget...assuming that you've worked out the mathematical, physical and engineering aspects of spacetime navigation.

Within the context of your story it's not really an assumption, however. The context of your story indicates that you have worked out those details because you have both managed to time travel and hit a specific set of targets accurately. Because that's true in your story it is also true that you would have no less of a problem hitting Mars with your gadget than hitting 2008 with your gadget. As I previously said, the time interval between 2008 and 2024 is the same as a space interval of 16 light years. The Earth-Mars space interval is only, on average, &lt; 200 light seconds distant.

If you can't accept the premise as coming from me or Dr. Brown I invite you to go back and hit the books for a minute. Take a look at the full Lorentz transformation in matrix notation. That form includes all of the boosts and rotations. It's right there, clear as a bell.

BTW: As indicated above, we aren't talking about rotation here in the sense of angular momentum, spinning, etc. The reference to rotations is part of the lexicon of LT and SR.

Thank-you for your reply.

I entered into this discussion a bit late, having thought that it would not have survived this long.

Up front, I can say with absolute certainty that you are NOT from 2024.

Frankly, the only reason why you have a friend in Pamela, is because she desires to be the one and only confidant of any possible time traveler, or somehow associated with those who do attempt to pull off a good haox.

God help her ( or us ) if one does show up and she isn't somehow involved, or not provided with an opportunity to slam RainmanTime.

There are many dynamics behind your posts that expose you for who and what you are...which is NOT as a traveler from the future, however, it seems that these dynamics have gone un-noticed by others, and the farse continues.

The simple answer to why I could not see this thread before I left in 2024 is that there had been no travel to 2008 at the time and therefore no posts.

The simple answer as to why you could not see this thread before you left in 2024 is that you are NOT from 2024.

And, I might add, that IF you were a graduate of MIT, then you would scare the hell out of the staff, with the idea that the future students of their establishment would fail so terribly with the use and composition of the english language.

Having read letters and papers from other MIT grads, you seem to have missed some of the classes that your colleagues attended, since your writing skills ( and thinking skills )are well below that of even a community college level.

Intriguing as it may be, I , myself was looking forward reading the "intruguing, albeit brief, interaction" within this thread.

It is good to know that there is a time limit in place, although a shorter time frame would have been preferable.

One concept that you may want to think about, is that when you go to posting in a public forum, you never know who you will run across. You never can be sure as to what resources they might have available to determine fact from fiction.

Note to the moderator's of this site: Perhaps this thread would be best relegated to the fan fiction section, along with the the HDRkid thread.

In time travel to the future, the simple passage of time itself would prompt the field to expire right after the jump rather than stay open and allow for return.

Can you explain this without the tautology in the definition?

Market down again, not that it has really anything to do with me. I suppose some people will feel it though.

http://www.marketwatch.com/Quotes/indu

Well, off to some other discussion about whatever it is that someone is maybe or maybe not bringing up.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/sidmeierscivilizationivcolonization/index.html

Found that for a cheap price, well cheaper than usually.

And you may be trying to help there Lyndzee, but this world may be beyond help without some real hard thinking instead of what seems to be going on with the News at this time.

And Ashley will call me Alburt and that will be that. Okay, while smiling!

No you and RMT have gone so far as to start a conversation in paradoxes as an attempt to discredit me?? You are just grabbing at anything you can aren't you? Paradoxes are basic time travel conversation! I can name a few myself! Anyway, I simply wanted to refer you to my last reply to RMT as it may apply to you as well.

Absolutely not. The context of your story indicates the aforementioned paradoxical outcomes. Surely this was a major topic of concern and conversation in the R&amp;D as well as the operational phases of the project.

Rather than arguing with me, a point that you've made with Ray, why don't you just address the issue of the paradoxes implied by your view of the physical reality involved in your story? Is there a valid reason for anyone not to assume that you can clone the time machines at will by simply traveling back a short interval to a time where the gadgets already exist? If not, why?

This scenario involved a viscious paradox - one that involves not simply effect preceeding cause but causal inconsistency, i.e. a machine (mass-energy) that seems to create itself out of nothingness. It is a total failure of causality. Yet it is consistent with your story.

Please stay on topic and address this. It is a primary subject of time travel and is clearly implied by your story.

It would be very easy for someone who has seen 2024 to answer the questions I submitted yesterday:

- Who is the President of France in 2024?
- Does the name Guillaume Kretz ring a bell?
- Can you name a website that is widely popular in 2024 but which does not exist in 2008?

I would love it if you could take a few seconds to answer my three very simple questions Lyndzee! Please!

I only had two points left from all that -- well three..

First-- I can see you controlled yourself Lyn and didn't call rainmantime... a five year old or even suggest some infantile reasoning was involved in his assumptions. So on that note I would like to say ,Thank You.

Second- Remember this also implied that the Higgs WAS found and that with exotic materials being manufactured in a large enough quantity Thus proving that string theory was correct-----implying that there are other dimensions and divergence.

Third--You can bring the Gold over here Lyn and we can use this as the safe house for your future endeavors...Swap outs for bringing gold to the future paradox, I will be glad to help...Credit goes to Darby/so I have to break him off a bar or two..

Thanks for listening.

The point - it is now $850 billion according to some, but I really do not have the time to keep checking out this changing redundant behavior

Kanigo,

You're correct. The "bail-out" bill, HR 1424, has been promoted by the US mass media (aka Drive-by Media) as a $750 billion financial recovery act. But it also contains some $100 billion in pork spending as riders to the bill that have nothing to do with the actual financial recovery portion of the 400+ page bill. So the actual cost is much, much closer to the $850 billion that you have alluded to. They purposely aren't talking about the additional $100 billion. They have their candidate and they don't want to rock the boat.

This, BTW, is how political parties in the US can say that so-and-so voted against, for instance, Old Lady's medical benefits. We have a bill that is otherwise aceptable for the Old Ladies but also includes a rider (or more than one rider) that is/are simple pork spending. The Representative or Senator who votes against the bill based on the pork barrel spending rider is cast by the media as being against Old Ladies.

Leader of the House (of Representatives) Nancy Pelosi, #2 in the line of succession to the Presidency, waxed lyrical last week when the stock market was down 750 after the House refused to pass the bill. She said it was the Republicans' fault for not allowing the bail-out to pass. When it was passed the market really took a nose dive. Why? Because we put a band-aide on a major wound without addressing the reason for the hemmorage...Democratic Party dogma become law circa 1992 that dictates the making of extremely risky morgtage loans by lending institutions to people who otherwise couldn't qualify for them. We were warned in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 that the mortgage bubble was going to burst...and the Democrats called the whistle blowers quacks. And the Republicans, my party, sat back and did nothing much to help us out. The Republicans who caved in and voted for this travesty called HR 1424 need to have their hats handed to them in their laps...heads attached.

Lyndzee,

Hello Again. I am writing this time for some new questions, actually one new one but the other one you never answered so here I go. First of all, can you tell me about private space travel? is it possible?

And, what is your take on the moon? Is it real? or is it artificial as some theories have stated alongside with some very important proof?

And you are telling me that we jumped from VHS to DVD in what? Less than 20 years? And then we are now jumping from DVD to Blu-Rays in what? Around 10 years? And you are telling me that in 16 years we are still using Blu-Rays? Wow, technologist and inventors dont do crap in the next 16 years do they?? What a boring history...or lack of imagination.

"Frankly, the only reason why you have a friend in Pamela, is because she desires to be the one and only confidant of any possible time traveler, or somehow associated with those who do attempt to pull off a good haox"

gee..thanks alot. Its not my fault John did not confide in anyone else on the board.
He certainly had the opportunity to anytime he wanted to.

I talk to potential time travelers with respect and decency just like they are any other human being. because frankly until they share alot of info you don't know if they are really telling
the truth or not. I just treat them how I would want to be treated if *I* was a time traveler.
Before rainman time runs them off and they say "hell with this.."
Because frankly if we ever ran across a real one and then found out later hey this one was the real
deal wouldn't you be sorry you didnt get at least some good questions in?

People like Rainman do not even believe time travelers exist. So they automatically go into attack mode as soon as one claims to be one. He wants proof right away. Same thing John laughed about.
"they want proof but then they get worried I may be sharing too much!"

John said it was almost impossible to prove to someone they are a time traveler because people just don't believe it but there is a small chance if someone is related. With someone like
Lynn that claims little to no divergence this should be as easy as seeing if her predictions come to pass. John was a little different because he claimed some divergence. His was possibilities and probabilities only and said we could change things. Lynn's is a little harder for me to grasp because I don't see how there could not be even a little divergence from her being here.

I am hoping she posts more predictions that are precise and not vague.
Even if it turns out she isn't a real time traveler I do like the way she confronts Rainman. /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.giflol
I must say..Rainman might have met his match with this one. :D

Back