90 Days of Soylent

Cosmo

Owner
Staff member
Timekeeper
Cosmo posted a new blog entry

90 Days of Soylent

spacer.png

Almost four years ago, a software engineer named Rob Rhinehart began self-experimenting with nutrition and posted a blog entry entitled How I Stopped Eating Food.

In it, he hypothesized that the body doesn’t need food itself, merely the chemicals and elements it contains. He set out on a quest to formulate a way ONLY to consume the raw ingredients the body actually needs for a perfectly balanced diet.

From there, his self-experiment went viral, and he eventually began a crowdfund campaign to start selling his formulation to the masses. His goal was $100,000; he raised over $2,000,000.

Being the bold futurist that I am, I was naturally one of first (of many) crowdfund backers. I’ve bounced on and off throughout the last couple years, but my experience has largely been positive. Stopping was mainly because the temptations of what people around me were eating, and being married means the other person is having to “forever alone” their meal-for-one.

There was ONE exception for what prompted me to quit this last time, and that was due to some digestive issues with the Soylent Food Bar. I was, apparently, one of the people sensitive to whole algal flour. Long story short, you never want to eat a Soylent Food Bar, pile a Mark's Roll on top of it and then do three laps around the mall… You will end up sprinting (with bulging cheeks) past concerned onlookers into the questionable bathroom of Dave & Busters while there is a group of beatboxing middle schoolers in there.

Soylent has stopped using whole algal flour after a disagreement with their vendor, and have also released reformulated versions of its products. In addition to that, they’ve also released Cacao and Nectar flavored versions of their bottled drink which brings us to the point of this article:

Halovesya and I will be trying a 90-day diet of ONLY Soylent. Now, we certainly are not the first ones to do this. If you search around, you’ll find plenty of journalists and self-experimenters documenting this very same thing. What we’re doing is a little different, though, in that:

2. We have a male and a female doing this at the same time

3. Both parties have identical living conditions and activity levels

4. Both parties have had the same diet leading up to day 1

This experiment is not entirely scientific as we won’t be getting blood tests before, during or after (THANKS, OBAMA), but we’ll be looking at things a bit more holistically – Weight, mood, basic cognition and energy levels.

Our first shipment arrives this Friday, and we'll be posting our first update that same day (or Saturday if it arrives late).

Aside from the obvious, what else should we try to monitor? Let us know in the comments below!

See this post on the main site.

Saw this product on Facebook the other day and it caught my attention.

Are the bars enough to actually replace a whole meal?

I'll follow this experiment closely. :)

Are the bars enough to actually replace a whole meal?
The bars were really good and really filling, more so than the drink... Tasted kinda like Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal if it were made into a power bar. The drinks are 400 calories, the bars were 200 or 250 calories and were meant mostly for "in between" times when you needed something to tide you over, not necessarily as a full meal replacement.The algal flour ingredient caused some reactions in people (myself included) so they pulled the product and you can't get it anymore until they reformulate it. The company that was supplying the algal flour threw a complete hissy fit and stopped ALL supplies being sent to Soylent. Turns out that company is now facing a class-action lawsuit for failing to disclose the digestive issues with their product to all the companies they were selling to ;)

That sounds very interesting.

Would you consider one of the 400 calories drink a good breakfast for instance? I don't eat much at breakfast because, well, I'm not a morning guy, maybe that would be a good fit for me.

So if I understand correctly and considering there are no bars available right now, you're gonna survive, drinking the Soylent drink and powder shakes exclusively?

I'm also curious to know how much it'll cost for the whole experiment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you consider one of the 400 calories drink a good breakfast for instance? I don't eat much at breakfast because, well, I'm not a morning guy, maybe that would be a good fit for me.
I would. I normally don't eat anything at all for breakfast - Sometimes a sugar-free Monster, sometimes a black coffee, but most times nothing.

Coffiest (the coffee flavor) has caffeine in it along with something else (can't recall the name just now) that helps metabolise the caffeine more smoothly vs. the spike and crash you get from some other "energy" drinks. It's like drinking a less-sweet bottled Frappucino and I never really felt like I was "eating breakfast".

So if I understand correctly and considering there are no bars available right now, you're gonna survive, drinking the Soylent drink and powder shakes exclusively?
The pre-bottled drinks only, no powder (though I don't think there's any difference in nutrition between the two formats). Nothing against the powder, but it's more convenient to pay a little extra to not have to mix anything up or wash out the pitcher every day.
There will be a few times where we're going to eat a real meal for social reasons (company Christmas party or us staying with my mom for a short bit once we move to the west coast), but those will be documented here and we'll make every effort to stay 100%... Though in practicality it'll probably end up 95%.

I'm also curious to know how much it'll cost for the whole experiment.
I'll be drinking four bottles per day, and @Halovesya will be doing 3 bottles per day, so that's 210 bottles per month. We ordered 204 bottles which will cover the entire month (there'll be some days where I don't want all four bottles) for a total of $2.97 per meal per person, or $606.10 for two people.
That sounds like a lot, but also consider that we're not buying ANY other food for ourselves. Our grocery/eating out bill has occasionally been DOUBLE that when we've been too busy to cook, so this is also an experiment in budgeting.

That sounds like a lot
One other thing to factor in is the TIME required to cook, clean, shop, plan meals, etc. We both work full time jobs and have a two year old, so recovering even a little of that is an incredibly valuable asset.

I have had all of soylent products before. And I can drink one bottle and feel full most of the day. I probably will drink it 6 times (half a bottle each time) per day because I always felt too full if I drank the whole one in one sitting. This might change once my body adapts to only having Soylent. We will see though.

Our Soylent arrived today. Five BIG boxes that the lazy FedEx guy left at the apartment office instead of attempting to deliver to our door. We'll be weighing in tomorrow morning and getting started!

Oh, also - The total weight delivered today was 234 pounds. So glad I live on the second floor.

Is there a lot of sugar and sodium in this stuff? What about vitamins? Is it filling and satisfying? Is your goal weight loss or just meal replacement?

I'm asking all these questions because I'm looking for a good weightloss solution.

Is there a lot of sugar and sodium in this stuff? What about vitamins? Is it filling and satisfying? Is your goal weight loss or just meal replacement?I'm asking all these questions because I'm looking for a good weightloss solution.
Each bottle is meant to be 20% of everything the body needs. A normal person who does light exercise and wants to maintain their weight would probably drink five of these per day, but people who don't need so many calories or those looking to lose weight would obviously drink less.
I'm drinking four per day, @Halovesya will drink three.

One thing people typically complain about with this though is that they don't feel they get enough sodium. A lot of people who've done this add a little salt to their diet somehow - See this comment on my thread over on the Soylent forums:

90 Days of Soylent

You can see more examples of this just by searching for "salt" over there:

Soylent Discourse

I read that most Americans are conditioned to consume WAY more sodium then they need, so when they switch to something balanced like this is leaves them with deficiencies or cravings. What we'll probably do is incorporate chips and salsa or something salty with very little calories, but we'll see how it goes for the first couple days before we adjust.

Yes, we need SOME sodium to live but we do consume way too much. The first thing you will drop is water, which is good thing --- stored water LOOKS like fat and hangs around the same areas as fat, so extra water loss is a great accomplishment. Also, less sodium could mean a drop in blood pressure --- for me that would be good. I take BP medication. Also, don't forge to drink enough WATER as well. I don't think these are meant to provide enough water, are they?

Also, are these filling? Do you have cravings? How is the taste?

I am considering doing a partial diet with this based on your experiences. Keep us posted!

Yes, we need SOME sodium to live but we do consume way too much. The first thing you will drop is water, which is good thing --- stored water LOOKS like fat and hangs around the same areas as fat, so extra water loss is a great accomplishment. Also, less sodium could mean a drop in blood pressure --- for me that would be good. I take BP medication. Also, don't forge to drink enough WATER as well. I don't think these are meant to provide enough water, are they?Also, are these filling? Do you have cravings? How is the taste?

I am considering doing a partial diet with this based on your experiences. Keep us posted!
Our first day on the stuff was yesterday, but we'll be posting a roundup this coming Saturday as there's not enough to report warranting a whole new post.
We'll probably end up including an additional snack that has some salt in it every day so we don't get weird cravings or let the sodium levels drop too fast too quickly. So far, so good though!

What it tastes like:

Coffiest:

Like a bottled mocha Frappuccino with far less sugar.

Cacao:

Chocolate; sorta like a Nutrisystem or Slimfast chocolate shake flavor, but way better

Original:

Normal Soylent tastes like the milk left over after you eat a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios. Very neutral; I've been adding some cinnamon or nutmeg to it.

Nectar:

Probably my least favorite, but I still enjoy it. Tastes like the milk left over from a bowl of Froot Loops, but with the flavor dialed up another notch and an "artificial flavor" aftertaste. Not terrible, but at the bottom of my list compared to the other three.

It does keep you very full. @Halovesya had to force herself to drink the third one!

Ok, next question. Where did you find the best price?
There's only one company that sells Soylent ;) There are alternatives like Huel and Joylent, but I've never tried them.

There's only one company that sells Soylent ;)There are alternatives like Huel and Joylent, but I've never tried them.
So, you bought directly from Soylent? There is some on Amazon but it seems expensive.
Oh, and does the coffee flavor contain caffeine?

So, you bought directly from Soylent? There is some on Amazon but it seems expensive.
The stuff on Amazon is still from Soylent, you're just buying existing stock out of Amazon's warehouse. Buying from either Soylent.com or Amazon.com should be about the same price regardless. We buy ours from Soylent.com so because shipping seems faster and I think we're getting them directly from the factory vs. something that's been sitting in Amazon's warehouse.

Oh, and does the coffee flavor contain caffeine?
Yes! The Coffee one has about 150mg of caffeine in it.