Can AI be creative?

I do believe that an AI is creative when it possesses a complicating process that takes in input and produces totally different, non-direct relevant output. That process must not contain direct commands toward the output, it needs to have the ability to pick the choice itself (even if it's just simple as random).

The more it displays its flexibility in the ability of choice-making: in gathering data, in selecting useful info, in considering what actions it should make on the inputs,..., the more its output seems more creative to me.

I think there's a difference between "being creative" and "producing art".

When I look at art, there is a reaction/connection/relationship with whatever it is I'm looking at. An artist's painting can be art, but so can a sunset or a mountain or a random stone you found on a hike or a picture of your sleeping doggo. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

That a program can produce something we interpret as beautiful or unexpected does not also mean it is creative. A program is a series of instructions, and it will always follow the same pattern it was designed to follow. Those instructions can be incredibly complex and LOOK like creativity, but that's the point. There can be no output that was not preprogrammed by the true creative source, the programmers.

Last edited by a moderator:
someone told me about that page
appreciate your sharing it with us!

the ability to pick the choice itself (even if it's just simple as random)
Few artists admit the significant role that randomness and chance plays in the creative process. It's underestimated.

An artist's painting can be art, but so can a sunset or a mountain or a random stone you found on a hike or a picture of your sleeping doggo.
“They teach you there's a boundary line to music. But, man, there's no boundary line to art.” - Charlie Parker

There can be no output that was not preprogrammed by the true creative source, the programmers.
As our minds are biological computers, this is an argument for intelligent design.