EmuVR

1650386649217.webp

1650386678949.webp

Now THIS is time travel. Scenes from within EmuVR, something I'm aiming to stream on Friday to show you all. I may or may not have a VHS tape of Back to the Future in one of those VCRs...

Ultra jank 5 second demo to make sure I fixed my link cable problem:

Check out that bedhead.

Can you turn the whole place upside down and break everything? I'd be curious to see how it handles you throwing stuff at the walls, turning the room into a giant pile of debris. :LOL:

Ultra jank 5 second demo to make sure I fixed my link cable problem:

Unbelievable. I'd thought the original images of the room were photos. Ugg dragging me into the metaverse kicking and screaming.

I spent tonight getting this little VR paradise looking more like home. The closest thing to time travel this side of reality. Here's the project I've been messing with:

https://www.emuvr.net/

They have done an OUTSTANDING job on this. I cannot believe how enjoyable it is to strap a brick to my face and play Duck Hunt in cyberspace. Barring any side-work landing tomorrow, I'll get on a stream and show how some of this works.

I played Duck Hunt, properly, with a Zapper in hand. I haven't been able to play the game like this since at least 1998... Such a simple thing that sparked something bigger than I expected. What a cool project. The possibilities here are unlimited.

If you have the means to grab a VR set capable of running EmuVR, there's a NetPlay feature that lets a few friends join up and hang out. Maybe we could do something like that for Time Wizards once we get far enough. Check this out, wait for the song:

This hits me right in the feels.

"Pretendo Zapper" ? That's great. Yeah it's probably been since about '90-92 when i last played and suffered that dang dog's reactions.

I have a strong feeling that if I use EmuVR it will be in 2D mode. Somehow I feel locked up in cyberspace enough without dropping a bunch of cash on a headset to further isolate me from the real world.

Are all the Sailor Moon tapes included or does that represent locally stored mkvs that someone linked to? I know someone in my home who would get a real kick out of those although they honestly would rather have the real VHS tapes.

I have a strong feeling that if I use EmuVR it will be in 2D mode.
You can use 2D mode! It launches like a normal game with normal controls, and the VR part comes in when it detects your OpenXR device (or something). I don't know the controls, but playing on a normal screen is possible. The biggest thing about playing on emulators is it never looks right... This makes it look right, VR or not.

The game comes with the room and the models, but you have to supply the games, videos and custom artwork. Everything is very easy to customize, just takes time and an idea of what you want to create. Here's a couple screenshots showing how my custom labels are set up so you can get an idea:

1650467235223.webp

1650467263776.webp

1650467283881.webp

1650467301106.webp

1650467319380.webp

Are all the Sailor Moon tapes included or does that represent locally stored mkvs that someone linked to? I know someone in my home who would get a real kick out of those although they honestly would rather have the real VHS tapes.
If you had video files for all your Sailor Moon (or whatever), you could drop them into the Videos folder and have a VHS for each file available in-game. I put on Back to the Future last night. Something I noticed right away is the light from what is showing on the screen affects the environment. Very immersive... If I didn't have a wife and kids to pull this thing off my face, I'd end up the same.

Cool, makes more sense seeing the setup and nested folders - thanks. Glad I kept a Windows machine running - it could be handy for this as I see it's the only supported desktop environment right now. I guess you'd just use a standard PC controller. Wish I would've kept that too lol.

Very immersive... If I didn't have a wife and kids to pull this thing off my face, I'd end up the same.
My fear!

Reminder that this works just fine on a normal flat screen too. Even NetPlay with someone using VR on their end works :) Such a brilliant project.