How did Doc come up with the flux capacitor?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 5828
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 5828

"No, wait, Doc. Doc. The-the-the bruise on your head, I know how that happened. You told me the whole story. You were standing on your toilet and you were hanging a clock, and you fell and you hit your head on the sink. And that's when you came up with the idea for the flux capacitor, which is what makes time travel possible." - Marty McFly

On the surface this is just a convenient plot device to move the story forward. If we dig deeper, questions arise regarding this bizarre incident that results in Doc Brown conceiving of future tech in the 1950s. So what was Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale getting at in this scene? Did Emmett Brown fall unconscious during his accident and have visions of his own future as a time traveler? He draws a picture of the flux capacitor upon recovering, as if he's frantically trying to hold on to a dream. Why was the scene set in a bathroom? He could have been on a ladder in his living room hanging a clock. For some reason the scene had to be in a bathroom and involve a clock, a sink and a toilet.

Maybe there is nothing deeper that just a piece of fun fiction, but as a whole Zemeckis and Gale put a lot of thought and attention to detail in their trilogy, so it's hard to believe this entire scenario is just a random throw away. And I'm left wondering what they were envisioning with this often overlooked part of BTtF1.

So, dream? Vision? Momentary time shift? His brain injury unlock a part of his mind giving his divine knowledge? Alien intervention? It's fun to imagine that there's a whole element to these movies going on just below the surface.